FAR EXAM

• Creator
    Topic
    Alexandr
    Participant

Hello, everyone. I am brand new to this forum. I am a recent graduate and just started studying for the FAR exam beginning January 1st. Solid B student in my accounting classes. I am using Roger CPA. My study method so far had been to watch the lectures and then read about that specific chapter. Afterward, I would do a 15 question test on the chapter that I studied and have been averaging around 60%. Is it too low of a score or am I overthinking it? Today I have decided to take a 33 question exam on ch 1-8 that I have completed and scored a 48% and feel like a did not retain much of the information. I have been studying around 5 hours a day and only work around 20 hours a week so I have a lot of free time. Should I study more daily? Should I try to do all the multiple-choice questions from each chapter? Any advice would be helpful!

I do not know when I will sit for the exam yet. I hope my official transcripts will be available next week and I am in California and I heard they take forever so I am hoping I will be able to sit at the beginning of March before the blackout period.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    vbmer
    Participant

I used Roger. You should be getting at least about 80% of MCQs right to be confident you're getting the material. I suggest you hammer MCQs, review topics that you are performing poorly in, and repeat until you get your MCQ score up to at least 80-85%. I think I went through all of the Roger MCQs in all of the major topics for FAR.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    mb
    Participant

I took the same approach at first and was getting around 60% through section 8 or 9. I suggest doing more MCQ after each chapter. Only 15 questions doesn't cover the range of information in the chapter, so you likely have no practice over some content and are hitting it for the first time in your cumulative quiz.

Silent
    Participant

Get through video as fast as you can. I personally would skip the book unless you are not understanding the content. You want to start doing as many MCQ as you can. You going to learn from getting question wrong.

Alexandr
    Participant

@Vbmer Do you think to get around 80 on the FAR exam, getting 80-85% on the multiple-choice exams would be sufficient? I have heard that some people have gotten the high 80s on cumulative practice tests and ended up failing FAR by like 10 points.

@Mb
    I will definitely do more MCQ's. Thank you for the tips.

@Silent Great advice. did you take any notes while doing MCQ's ? I noticed that Roger did not cover everything in his videos and there is a little extra information in his book. Do you think reading is not necessary if you have carefully watched the videos and attempted all the questions?

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Lindsey_p87
    Participant

I agree with Silent – I don't think lectures AND book are necessary unless you need extra explanation on a topic. MCQ is where it's at. I wouldn't worry so much about your scores now, the more questions you do, the more you will pick up on the info. But I do think getting through the info as quickly as possible and spending a few weeks reviewing is your best bet.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

vbmer
    Participant

Your exam score could vary for many reasons – test anxiety, how many MCQs you did, why you were getting the test bank MCQs right, how you did on the SIMs, etc. 80-85% on the test bank MCQs could definitely translate into an 80 on FAR for some, but it won't for others. It could even translate into a 90 for some.

+1 vote for watching the videos, doing MCQ, and reading only if you get stuck. That's how I used Roger, and it is an efficient and effective method.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    rafavazquezresto
    Participant

I'm using Roger CPA and I plan to suplement with Ninja MCQ like I did with AUD. Everyone learns different and I noticed that I had more reading than do MCQ's or watch videos for AUD. Just like a fellow here said, it all depends on the anxiety levelas on exam day and test banks that the throw at you.

I'd say that 15 mcq to small try 33 at a time and do custom test. Read the analytics and hit topics you are scoring low.

Also taking the exam early march!! Have Fun

rafavazquezresto
    Participant

I'm using Roger CPA and I plan to suplement with Ninja MCQ like I did with AUD. Everyone learns different and I noticed that I had more reading than do MCQ's or watch videos for AUD. Just like a fellow here said, it all depends on the anxiety levelas on exam day and test banks that the throw at you.

I'd say that 15 mcq to small try 33 at a time and do custom test. Read the analytics and hit topics you are scoring low.

Also taking the exam early march!! Have Fun

Alexandr
    Participant

Thank you for all the tips guys. I appreciate it. I started doing more multiple-choice questions and only watch the videos and it seems like I am starting to get a bit more comfortable with the questions and what specifically they are asking me. On average how long does it take you to review a multiple-choice question? On average I get around 10-13 questions wrong on 33 questions exams and it takes me around 3 minutes to review my wrong questions while I only take a minute to skim through the questions I got correct. Is it normal or am I spending too much time per question?

Silent
    Participant

My advice on MCQ is to read question 2 times. If question is long read the end of it, the party of what it's actually asking you to calculate/determine. Then go back and read the actual question. Unless question is short, reading it 2 times will help you to make sure you didn't misread the question. If you got question correct and you didn't guess on it, there is much less that you really need to read. Just be honest with yourself if you guess on the question or not. If you guess, make sure to read explanation and even do calculation that is shown in the example. You need to get muscle memory.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.