[Q3] FAR Study Group 2014 - Page 2

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 2,797 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    LStevens225
    Participant

@Nicole. I know the first time I took FAR I got to the Sims and looked at how long they were and felt crushed. So yes lol try to not get so tired while studying. Second time I still had the energy but I just didn't know the material. This time around I'm trying to be a lot more positive and bust out the mcqs. I think with studying you'll get there though. Just keep the momentum up at least that's what I tell myself lol.

I'm hoping to post a ton on here so I'll be held more accountable for studying. I'll be going to Barnes and noble when they open since I have a gift card there.

RandomAlt

@magatha12

Good luck, I'm also using CPAexcel & the NINJA supplements. Coincidentally, I'm also on Consolidations right now…

FAR - [10/07/2013 --> 66] [07/07/2014 --> 86]
    BEC - [08/31/2014 --> 86]
    AUD - [11/24/2014 --> 88]
    REG - [02/14/2015 --> 92]

magatha12

@RandomAlt

Good to know!! What is your study plan for your exam? I am taking is close to your date. I'm just reading the book now to get through it (Am I crazy for doing no MCQs in between?), the videos aren't really helping me much so I'm skipping those unless I really don't understand something.

Good luck to you too!! šŸ™‚

FAR: 79
    AUD: 81
    REG:5/29/15
    BEC:85

Using CPA Excel, NINJA notes and audio, NINJA MCQs

GTAccountant
    Participant

Hi All!

I'm new to the boards and DEFINITELY need some encouragement as I tackle FAR, which is my first exam.

Since I've received my job offer, and I complete my masters in July, I figured I should tackle the Exam. I am using Becker and I've watched a few lectures and did some assignment HWs and I am not doing too well (~60s).

Hopefully by being on board I can gain encouragement!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@GTAccoutnant..60s is not bad on the first attempt. Its only going to get better. I hv been scoring on low 40s and 50s. Its very depressing but I noticed on my second attempt I def did better. I am still not done with the book. Starting F6 today but I did try reviewing the previous chapters.

RandomAlt

@magatha12

This is a quick synopsis of my method:

-I read the study text and do the MCQs together. I pretty much skip everything else.

-98% of the time I skip the videos because they really don't help. I actually look at the power point slides to see if there is anything interesting, and if there is (like a lot of hand written notes), I watch the videos. For example, the consolidation videos were very good, and I actually think they were more helpful than the study text.

-Personally, I tried the NINJA method for FAR on my first attempt, and I didn't like it. Reading the text strait through did not help with my retention at all. A lot of times the text is dense, but combine those with the MCQs and I see the concepts much better. A good example is the section on Natural Resources. The text was, for me, hard to follow. After doing the MCQs, the text made a lot more sense.

-I don't take copious written notes, I make (digital) flashcards. I used a program called Anki. I review a small section of flashcards everyday. This keeps the material fresh. I would never remember the formula for pension expense if I read the text once and didn't see it again till I got back to the MCQs.

Hope that makes sense!

FAR - [10/07/2013 --> 66] [07/07/2014 --> 86]
    BEC - [08/31/2014 --> 86]
    AUD - [11/24/2014 --> 88]
    REG - [02/14/2015 --> 92]

shankysays

I haven't scheduled it yet, but I'm planning on taking FAR (for the first time) in mid to late July. Using Roger's USB course and the Wiley homework books. Started studying a week ago; so far things are going well, but the amount of material is just staggering. I hope I've given myself enough time. One nice thing is that people have told me the exam has started getting heavy on governmental/nonprofit, which is what I do for a living, so hopefully I won't need to hit that section quite as hard.

As someone mentioned above, the simulations are pretty intimidating at first glance!

BEC - 72, 82! āœ“
    FAR - 80! āœ“
    AUD - 70, 92! āœ“
    REG - 74, 78! āœ“

Licensed CPA 5/2015

LStevens225
    Participant

@shaknysays – I know I focused a lot on government and not for profit my first go around with far. Completely neglected everything else and scored a 60. So most of my final review was governmental and not for profit. When I got my summary of how I did and I did as good as people who passed on those two topics and poop of the other three. lol I called the Yaeger people to get their advice (big mistake) and she told me that I pretty much didn't study. Tried the videos again and didn't review like I should had got a 58. That hurt. This time its all review. I pretty much threw WTB to the side b/c I remembered all questions. So Ninja MCQ for me. So my advice is knock out those two but don't do what I did and forget the others lol I also suggest doing a few sims… I know which ones I am focusing on… lol

So when is everyone's test date? If its been scheduled.

nicole2035

a gleim prep tip said that the CSO tells you what percentage of the exam is to what area, however that doesn't mean that the ‘group' and topic actually changes. So how some people said they felt too much of their exam focused on NFP and governmental may be true, but that was simply the topic, you could still be getting tested on framework, disclosures, error corrections, etc etc

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm taking FAR on July 20th, it's right after month end closing at work and it's Monday, so I can relax on weekend. I'm half way through my study materials and planning to complete all of them by 2nd week of June, re-write my notes then will do unlimited MCQs and SIMs thru 2nd week of July. Good luck to all of us!

Anonymous
    Inactive

so far July 11th for me. Hopefully I won't be changing it.

kappa1032
    Participant

Does anybody have a link for remembering deferred tax assets & liabilities? I'm going through the chapter and it's just not sinking in – I'm pretty sure I could figure it out when the MCQ's come around but I also want to understand it from a conceptual level…

FAR - 81
    REG - 74, 87
    AUD - 88
    BEC - 88

Finally.

ā€œThe only guarantee for failure is to stop tryingā€
    ā€• John C. Maxwell

LStevens225
    Participant

@kappa I found this link to be pretty helpful.

https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/far-deferred-taxes-1

kappa1032
    Participant

@LStevens – thanks! This section is killing me but I think this is going to help.

FAR - 81
    REG - 74, 87
    AUD - 88
    BEC - 88

Finally.

ā€œThe only guarantee for failure is to stop tryingā€
    ā€• John C. Maxwell

titoav15
    Participant

Planning to dominate FAR next! But first gotta take my BEC here in a few days. See you guys soon!

AUD - PASS

FAR - PASS

REG - PASS

BEC - PASS

BEC: 5/21/14 82! PASSED HALF WAY THERE!
    FAR: 4/2/15 80! Almost there!
    AUD: 69, 74, 4/3/14 81! PASSED
    REG: TBD

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 2,797 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.