[Q3] FAR Study Group 2014 - Page 3

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 2,797 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    NCcpaHopeful

I'm having a hard time keeping up with my study schedule. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to master it…..I just need to absorb as much as I can. I just spent quite awhile on the retail inventory method and I'm still a little confused but I feel like I should move on because I have another 200 topics! So frustrating!

AUD - 92
    BEC - 76
    REG - 83
    FAR - 72 RE-MATCH AUG 2014

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hear you NCcpa. I have to force myself to move on becus there is soooo much material to cover!! I don't know what is the right approach. Keep on doing MCQs instead of reading the text or both?

nicole2035

just scored 80% on two practice exams for non current liabilities, if i can do it, anyone can. so happy i can move on

how are you guys incorporating sims? i feel like i want to leave them for the end, i really don't have the time to spend an hour and a half on them for each section

Anonymous
    Inactive

@nicole2035 I take 4 sets (or more until I get at least 75%) of MCQs then take one set of SIM to have a feel of how the it is structured on the section I am working on. It is easier to pass the SIM while the topic is still fresh in your brain. Passing the SIM will make you happier!

Anonymous
    Inactive

trying to wrap up F6 today and if I hv time left Ill prob start F7. F6 was not too bad. There were some deferred tax questions that I did not quite get but hopefully I'll hv a better chance during review..

How are you all doing? What chapters/topics are most of you covering this week?

kappa1032
    Participant

@2014 CPA – I'm currently doing the F6 homework (deferred taxes will be the death of me) and also plan to watch the F7 lectures later this week

FAR - 81
    REG - 74, 87
    AUD - 88
    BEC - 88

Finally.

ā€œThe only guarantee for failure is to stop tryingā€
    ā€• John C. Maxwell

LStevens225
    Participant

@2014 CPA I am actually writing notes for governmental. I have relized that the videos don't do much for me so I got tired of not knowing that governmental funds includes GSP-CD and prporietary funds includes internal service and enterprise and etc… thats as far as I got. I am not sure if I am going to go through the wiley text book for governmental and then do mcq for that one chapter? I just want to get to the point on ninja mcq to work on my difficult chapters.

@kappa I know what you mean. I started on consolidations then felt comfortable with that and moved to deferred taxes… then gave up because they are sooo horrible and confusing and boring. Keep to it though! You get it eventually lol

nicole2035

@CPAby2015 i'll have to start going through them. i've only done 2 out of the 12 sections i've finished in gleim. it'd be silly for me to not trying them considering they make up 40% of the grading

Currently on lease accounting, short chapter but tons to remember.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aside from writing notes, I thought that identifying your weak points also helps. What I do right now is making screenshots of questions (usually tricky and confusing questions) that I missed or flagged and compiling them in a word doc and saved it in Google drive. I take the screenshots during the review session (where it shows the answer with explanations) and highlight the keywords or key points to watch out for. This way I can easily go back to them make sure I understood the concept. I'm using a free software called Greenshot which is more powerful than the built in snipping tool in windows pc. Just sharing some ideas…

LStevens225
    Participant

Does anyone else have a hard time understanding deferred outflow or inflow of resources for governmental? Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like deferred outflow is prepaid and inflow is unearned revenue? Then they take the deferred out for just outflow and inflow of resources and that sounds like an expense or purchase? Anyone have a better way of explaining?

NJPRU

LStevens – appears this way to me too. This is how I think about it.

AUD: DONE
    FAR: DONE
    BEC: DONE
    REG: DONE

IM GOING TO BE A CPA!!!!!

LStevens225
    Participant

What is everyone studying? I am going through governmental chapter and taking notes on the big stuff…Then I think I'll start from the beginning and work my way through.

MydnightDarkfyre
    Participant

Hi Everybody,

Set to take FAR on July 1st (my first section). Feeling a bit overwhelmed but taking it one step at a time. I'm using Becker, and I'm currently on F3/F4 this week (doing two chapters a week). I'm not currently working, so all my time is study time right now.

Scored in the high 60s on MCQs in F1 first time through and I think that made me overconfident, because I barely scored 45 in F2. Not quite sure how I'm going to remember all these little rules…

FAR: 82 (Becker) 07/09/2014
    AUD: 80 (Becker) 10/01/2014
    BEC: 76 (Becker) 11/26/2014
    REG: 82 (Becker) 02/16/2015

GA Licensed CPA 8/7/2015

CISA: 564 (PASSED) 6/11/2016 - Certification pending

nicole2035

@mydnightdarkfyre we're taking the exam on the same day. However I've been studying on and off since February, I wanted to take the test end of may but didn't because I didn't quite have the funds etc.

I'd focus on just getting through the material and key ideas, any details focus on them from your MC Qs. Anything else is just going to slow you down in the material because the last 2-3 units will be rough. I don't use becker, I use gleim but the first half is nothing like the 2nd.. Cash flows, governmental accounting, NFP accounting, noncurrent liabilities, and pension plans I believe will be the 2nd half of your units. First half of Gleim were things for the most part I think most accountants naturally know or can learn easily. Biggest regret was too much detail the first found, focusing on some things that i simply wouldn't get till i touched the multiple choice questions. When I went back through those chapters when I rescheduled my scores went up at least 15%, and the time to go through them was much less, things gelled together so much better. long story short get through the material to feel ok about it, especially the easier stuff compared to more challenging topics.

NCcpaHopeful

I am studying investments now (Trading, AFS, Held to Maturity). I'm letting CPA Excel schedule my assignments for me (not sure if other study programs have this but you just put in your goal test date and it schedules your assignments). Anyway…..it's not working so great – I had 15 simulations to do today!! Seems a little excessive for one day. CPA Excel has NFP and GOVT at the end. I think I will go over those sections twice considering how poorly I did on the exam on them.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 76
    REG - 83
    FAR - 72 RE-MATCH AUG 2014

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 2,797 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.