Study methods for far

• Creator
    Topic
    Ng
    Participant

Hi
    I don’t know how to study far for example in cash flow statement I memorize that an increase in receivable deductied from income but when another question come and has a new item I dont know what to do with it

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

You can't just memorize this unfortunately. You need to understand the concepts behind it.
    I remember having a really hard time with this as well, and ended up watching the videos over and over again and working the problems step by step along with the video. Then I thought I had it, and got it all wrong and started over yet again. Eventually I had it down pretty good. The T accounts method was very helpful to me. You might be able to find some Roger videos on this on youtube to help you out.
    Here's a 30+ minute video
    https://www.rogercpareview.com/lc/cpa-exam-videos/t-accounts-debits-and-credits-%E2%80%93-oh-my-preparing-statement-cash-flows
    and here's a link to the youtube channel

Good luck, it was tricky for sure.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Recked
    Participant

this video really takes me back.

i must have watched this more than 5 times.
    so glad to be done

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Ng
    Participant

I watched it but I cant seem to understand it
    Why the account paypale different between direct and indirect method

monikernc
    Participant

Go with the master: Alan Mursau, who has now passed away. The man got me through 3 semesters of intermediate and BEC. Many standards have changed since he last posted but most of his videos remain relevant. He is the king of DV-LIFO

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Tncincy
    Participant

@Recked those roger videos helped me a lot when I struggled with statements of cash flows. The key for me was to listen, take notes, listen, take notes and do the questions over and over again. Even though I have not studied statement of cash flows in a while, I can still answer those questions. I think some videos are worth it. Taking good notes help not to have to go to the videos again, but hey if you have to you have to.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

CPAHOPE
    Participant

Menu

What is the difference between the direct method and the indirect method for the statement of cash flows?Main Difference between Direct and Indirect Method of SCF

The main difference between the direct method and the indirect method of presenting the statement of cash flows (SCF) involves the cash flows from operating activities. (There are no differences in the cash flows from investing activities and/or the cash flows from financing activities.)

Under the U.S. reporting rules, a corporation has the option of using either the direct or the indirect method. However, surveys indicate that nearly all large U.S. corporations use the indirect method.

Example of the Indirect Method of SCF

When the indirect method of presenting a corporation's cash flows from operating activities is used, this section of SCF will begin with a corporation's net income. The net income is then followed by the adjustments needed to convert the accrual accounting net income to the cash flows from operating activities. A few of the typical adjustments are:

Adding back depreciation expenseAdding the decrease in accounts receivableDeducting the increase in inventoryDeducting the decrease in accounts payableAdding the increase in accrued expenses payableExample of the Direct Method of SCF

When the direct method of presenting a corporation's cash flows from operating activities is used, the amount of net income is not the starting point. Instead, the direct method lists the cash amounts received and paid by the corporation. Here are a few of the more common descriptions that will be seen under the direct method:

Cash from customersCash paid to employeesCash paid to suppliersCash paid for interest

The direct method also requires a reconciliation of net income to the cash provided by operating activities. (This is done automatically under the indirect method.)

Free Financial Statements Cheat Sheet

420,546 Subscribers

Related Questions

Is the direct method still used in the statement of cash flows?Why is an increase in inventory shown as a negative amount in the statement of cash flows?What is cash from operating activities?Why is Interest Expense Included in the Operating Activities Section of the Cash Flow Statement?What is a cash cow?Where is interest on a note payable reported on the cash flow statement?

To learn more, see the Related Topics listed below: