FAR – October-November 2009 Window - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff
    Keymaster

Studying sucks- hahahaha. I agree! The wiley books is over 1000 pages, that is about 800 pages too many!

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

studyingsucks,

That made me and my fiance laugh! I totally empathize with you, FAR is an insane amount of info. I would (almost) rather it be divided into 2 tests. But not quite.

Anonymous
    Inactive

FIFO, LIFO, things going up, things going down,…who really gives a flying F ????

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi all…im taking fare the 25th and i heard alot of people mentioning there could be hedge accounting on the exam. now im using becker, and it really doesnt delve too deep into this area. any suggestions on what i should do to prepare? thanks for the help!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the FAR exam in general doesn't go too in depth on any subject. I wouldnt' worry too much about ind epth of each topic than getting a good basic understanding of ALL the topics. Theres so much information they could spit at you from that book!

Anonymous
    Inactive

My materials don't go too deep into hedging calculations either, but you should probably at least know where gains and losses from hedging activities are recorded (income from OPS, OCI, etc.) depending on the derivative instrument that they were generated from and the intent of the hedge. Also, the disclosures required of hedging activities and derivatives seems like a very testable topic. I take the exam on Oct. 20th, but I am not too worried about these topics. Besides, certain derivative and hedging calculations are beyond the scope of this exam, with a few exceptions (certain interest rate swaps, FX hedges, etc.). They aren't going to have you price a CDS, but I could see them asking you where the gain or loss goes.

Since it's a relatively new (and important) topic, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few questions on this. At the same time, some of them might be "pretest" questions, so it could be hit or miss.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks all for your help. Capital Gains, I saw you say "with a few exceptions" and it included interest rate swaps…lol i dont think i would know where to begin with that. could you tell me where i could look to know how to work a problem on them?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you used the Spiceland, Tomassini, & Sepe textbook in your Accounting classes in college (a lot of universities use this for their intermediate courses), there is an appendix which deals with derivatives. It gives a decent interest rate swap problem. Other than that I'm not sure.

jeff
    Keymaster

You just need to know where they're reported…no need to do calcs or anything.

My $.02

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    polarbear
    Participant

If your in the wave 1 cutoff for Oct-Nov, when are scores usually posted?

Mat
    Participant

I agree studing for FAR really sucks!! specially after getting 72 in last window, spending more $ on new review material (oh well, the other one expire).

Anonymous
    Inactive

To JEFF and anyone else who can help!

Ok… so I am studying for FAR with Becker. And am feeling confident with about 85% of the material. But there are still a few subsections that no matter how many times I read them I still get the majority of the questions wrong and even when I read the explanation and try to use that logic on the next similar question I still can't figure it out!

For example two of sections I am having trouble with are Partnerships and Bonds Payable.

So my question is, do you think if I get Yaeger CRAM it will be enough to help clarify these few sections. Or will it not be detailed enough (since the sections I am have trouble with seem to the more complex ones). Or should I just get the FULL Yaeger FAR materials and just concentrate on the few sections I am having trouble with?

I am sitting for the exam in 2 weeks so I need to make a quick decision… and I know its only a few subsections I am having trouble with but I would rather spend the money and over study than to ever have to study for FAR again!

🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW, I got the Gleim MCQ's for WINDOWS MOBILE to supplement my Becker materials! And it has EASILY added 10-20 minutes of practicing questions on to my study time a day.

When I am in a cab, or waiting for someone to meet me some where, or waiting in line some where that I can't pull out my laptop or a textbook I just start doing questions on my phone.

WHY DON'T ALL THE REVIEW COURSES OFFER SOMETHING LIKE THIS YET!

Some of the sections are hard to do with just a phone but any of the theory questions and the ones that require minimal calculation (on my smartphone calculator) are easy to do on the go. I think this will be even better when I am taking the parts that are less calculation driven.

Just wanted let everyone know since every moment counts.

jeff
    Keymaster

cpachick – get the cram over the HomeStudy since you only have 2 weeks…I would watch the entire cram…I think you'll be glad you did.

-Jeff

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

To Jeff:

HI

How much is the Cram for FAR??? can i have it online ,to download from the site to save the time.

regards

Patrick909
    Participant

“For example two of sections I am having trouble with are Partnerships and Bonds Payable.”

I wouldn't worry too much about partnership accounting….but definitely get bonds under your belt, from both the investor's and issuer's side.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.