Tips on Study Plan using Roger

• Creator
    Topic
    Omar A
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m new to this forum, and so far have gotten some great insights from many of the posts.

The help that I currently need is guidance on the best strategy for studying using UWorld Roger CPA Review. I will begin studying full-time in three months, starting July 1st, however from now until then, I have some extra time to begin familiarizing myself with the material.

I plan to take FAR first, so I want to come up with a plan for the most effective study strategy. What would you suggest that includes part-time study (2 hours per day) from now until July 1st, and then full-time study starting July 1st? Or should I just wait until I can give it my full attention beginning in July? I figured it wouldn’t hurt to get a head start with the material now so that it’s not as foreign to me when I go more deeply into it.

One idea I had was to do one round of listening to all of the lectures, taking notes on important concepts and doing some practice questions from now until July 1st… and then starting July 1st doing another round of listening to all of the lectures + MCQ’s in a more intensive way.

Thoughts? Thanks for your input.

“ninja-cpa-review”/

Omar A
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

You will learn as you progress what works or doesn't work for you.
    When I started on FAR I would watch the videos, try to read the book, then do the MCQs.
    By my last exam I was cramming all the videos as fast as possible, skipping the book, and going right to massive MCQs.
    I would only refer to the book if I needed to.

Figure out what works best for you. Hopefully you are a visual and auditory learners, because that's where Roger's course really shines.
    FAR has about 44 hours of videos, which would be a little intense to try and cram all the videos and then wait to do MCQs until that was done.
    The MCQs are where you really do the learning. You need to realize you are going to do very poorly on the MCQs when you first start, but that's all part of the process.

So with FAR, you don't want to stretch out your studies too long, because you start to forget things.
    If you do start now, I would try and sit by July 1st. 2 hours a day for 3 months = 168 hours, which might be enough to get a pass in FAR.
    Most people recommend 8-10 weeks for FAR tops, but you'll know what works best for you.
    You will NEVER feel ready, so don't worry about feeling unprepared.

Spend an hour of 2 every week doing some cumulative MCQs. I forgot so much after 8 weeks, and had to refresh and relearn so much of FAR.
    It was scary. That would be my #1 recommendation if I had to do it over again. Hit the cumulative refresh once a week to keep those concepts fresh.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Tncincy
    Participant

Sounds like a great plan Recked. I would follow it Omar A, it is so easy to get caught up until you get nothing done. Pick me…so set up a plan and stick to it. Keep us updated how things are going.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

PDiddy2000
    Participant

@recked is spot on. I think that's why I'm struggling with FAR. It's so much information that even my dedicated 1 day a week going over previously studied Wiley sections wasn't enough for me. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but if I don't pass my retake which I plan on taking April 20, I might have to either supplement with Ninja or totally change to Roger. We'll see but good luck to you and listen to @Recked. He gives good study advice.

FAR-Mar 9,2020 (failed 71), retest May 21
    BEC-Passed(I had a few stops and starts because I was studying during my busy season. Lost track of my study stats.)
    AUD-Passed(8 weeks,1877 MCQs, and 38 TBSs)-Wiley
    REG-Passed(10 weeks, 2000 MC)-Wiley
    irishA
    Participant

Like the others i agree with Recked. You'll eventually figure out what works best for you. I only studied part time since i was working full time and going to grad school (which probably actually helped more than hurt). Then spread the sections over about 10 months, taking 1 exam a window.

I started by watching 1-2 hours of videos a night, skimming the book and underlining key points, and hitting the MQCs hard. Like the others i eventually starting using the book less and spend most of my effort on the questions. My strategy was to study 1 chapter's questions at a time in small 10-15 questions quizzes, then once or twice a week i would study all the chapters together. Roger CPA came out with the “smartpath” system about 1/2 way through my journey which really helped with that. My biggest fear was memorizing the questions/answers and not the concepts. So i tried not to spend too much time in a row on any single concept, so i wouldn't keep seeing the same questions over and over. I was never a fan of taking the full practice exams, unless you're worried about running out of time and need practice about pacing; and after FAR never did ones for the others.

Like they said, you never feel ready for your first exam. I took FAR first and was so nervous i drove past the testing center. Left after about 2hrs feeling defeated and actually called a CPA friend of mine and asked if i should move on the AUD or start studying for my retake right away. Thankfully they suggested relaxing and moving on until the score are released then reevaluate because i ended up passing.

Like they said if you start PT now, you'll probably be able to get through the FAR lessons to test toward the end of Q2. It'll be a tough road ahead, but it's definitely doable. You don't want to spend so much time studying you forget what you've studied

AUD - 86
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 95
    REG - 90
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

This is just me, but I don't see the point in half-studying between now and July if you for sure aren't going to take the exam until later in the year. Sure, get your study schedule put together, get the materials ready, etc. But FAR is so detailed, you're going to forget most of what you “learn” between now and then. To me, it makes a lot more sense to jump full in about 8-10 weeks before you want to take the exam and make that your priority, rather than dragging it out for literally months.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.