Passing FAR= best $225 I ever wasted

• Creator
    Topic
    jlee1086
    Participant

Having failed FAR before, I was incredibly pessimistic about my chances of passing. I was seriously considering giving up if I didn’t make it this time. But in case I needed to retake, I decided to only register for FAR.

After some changes in my study methods and LOTS of self-doubt/anxiety, third time was the charm. I’m not sure how I survived when I had nausea/Montezuma’s revenge before the exam. And I was scrambling to finish sims (barely had time to finish all except for the research question).

I don’t know when I’m taking AUD but I’m sure it would be within the 6 month limit that would have happened if I registered 2 at a time. But hey, I’d rather have this problem than to fail. I read stories about how people who took FAR first kept failing and had their confidence shot. But it was worth the pain and I’m glad all my hard work finally paid off. It’s a great morale booster and now, the possibility of being a CPA finally feels real to me.

FAR 57 (11/2014), 64 (1/2015), 79 (7/2015)
    AUD 68 (2/2015), 79 (11/2015)
    REG 79 (1/2016)
    BEC 81 (4/2016)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats!!! I bet you were ecstatic seeing that passing score!!

Just curious, what did you do differently this last time to pass? I'm two days out from taking my first section (FAR) and I'm super nervous about being one of those people you described who took FAR first and had their confidence shot. Any last minute tips or study tricks that put you over the edge to passing?

Way to Go JLee!!

Keep the intensity at 11 and you will defeat the other 3.

Licensed Texas CPA

jlee1086
    Participant

Most of what I did differently is in this thread: https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/failed-far-what-should-i-do-to-prepare-for-my-re-take

I would clarify that #4 isn't a suggestion to skip all your trouble topics, just not to get stuck. That's especially true for some of the extremely wordy MCQ's in your homework.

Continuously reviewing is also essential. I know a lot of people who have Becker like the progress tests but for me, I just ended up memorizing answers. If you have Becker, do sims as your “progress tests.” They may be easier than the real tests but they helped me see if I really understood something.

Of course, some pass using only MCQ's so none of this means anything if you don't KNOW YOURSELF. But I believe no matter what your study style, understanding is key. How you do it best is something you have to figure out.

FAR 57 (11/2014), 64 (1/2015), 79 (7/2015)
    AUD 68 (2/2015), 79 (11/2015)
    REG 79 (1/2016)
    BEC 81 (4/2016)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the tips! I went back and started going back through sims like you suggested and it's definitely pointing out some weak areas for me to brush up on before test day.

Also, congrats again on passing!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.