Credit Extension NY

• Creator
    Topic
    Livliv101
    Participant

Hi!

I saw that some of you said you were able to contact your state board to extend your credit. Here’s my problem. I’m planning to take REG (hopefully my last exam) Q3 2018 in August. My BEC exam expires 9/30/18. We don’t find out our scores until 9/19/18 which means I get no chance to retake the exam if I fail before losing BEC. Did anyone have any success contacting their state board and getting their credit extended? Did anyone contact NY state board? Does anyone know the contact information of who I should contact?

Thanks so much guys!!!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

It will be a long shot for sure.
    You will have to lay out a pretty compelling argument as to how the score delays impacted your studying and test dates.

What are your test dates and test scores from the last 15 months?

I honestly think your time will be better spent doubling down on your REG studies so you don't have to ask for an extension.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Livliv101
    Participant

Yeah I'm just going to put my all into REG. Recked did you use Roger for REG? I have Roger and Ninja. Any tips?

Recked
    Participant

Yes, Roger for all 4. (Also had Gleim TB and books, but I didn't have time for Gleim questions) Full disclosure, 16 years in tax and EA exams with Gleim in 2013/2014.
    For REG I crammed all the videos as fast as possible, and then just hammered MCQs.
    I did 100 from each section in tax, then moved on to BLAW, finished all BLAW questions and then returned to the tax sections to finish them off.
    I wanted tax to be fresh in my mind since it is the biggest part of REG.

If you have never worked in tax I always suggest reading the forms 1040, 1120, 1120S and 1065.
    Read each line item carefully so you have a general idea of where things go on the forms. I'm a visual learner so seeing where things are on the forms helps cement in my mind what relates to where.
    I also took notes on MCQs for REG, it's the only section I did notes on MCQs. Not sure if it was helpful or not but it helped me see a pattern to the things I was getting wrong and needed to review.
    Know your basis rules, and property contribution rules. And depreciation.

100 MCQs a day, in 10 question blocks.
    Disregard Roger's new performance stats “SmartPath”. I only had “Targets Met” in 4 of the 21 sections. I have no idea where they came up with their targets but all the others say getting close or needs improvements.

The AICPA sample exams are a very valuable resource as well. In your final review 2 weeks out, make sure you do that twice, with at least a week between each time so you forget the answer.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi LivLiv! I am in the exact same situation as you. I emailed the board about the score holds and all of the changes and asked if they would take this into consideration. I was basically told not to get my hopes up, but it can be reviewed on a ‘case by case basis'. I had heard from a co-worker that Texas is granting extensions due to all of the changes (rightfully so in my opinion). Hopefully it doesn't come to this for us! Good Luck!

callie
    Participant

Hi Livliv101, how did it all work out?
    I'm stuck in a very similar situation..

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.