150 Unit Requirement

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m in California where you only need 120 units and 2 years of experience to be licensed (changing in 2014). But I only need 16 more units for the 150, so I’m leaning towards taking random community college courses.

n

How is everyone completing the extra units needed on top of a bachelor’s degree? And does anyone else find this requirement a little silly?n

n

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    glutenator
    Participant

I actually have a bachelors (128 undergrad credits), plus 33 graduate credits for criminal justice, plus 45 MBA credits for Accounting, plus 15 more undergrad credits to meet specific class requirements for the CPA. so, yeah, it was ridiculous…..n

n

I'll Pass Eventually
    REG (67, 66), BEC (79), FAR (5/26/10), AUD (August 2010)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did community college 12 hrs…….1 ethics for CPA's 2 upper level acctg (Forensic&Corp Fed Tax) and one business class…..I did all but one on-line….super cheap…n

n

Anonymous
    Inactive

I double majored in undergrad of accounting and finance.. then I took a lot of history, art and intro to using pc classes to get up to 150…nice gpa booster too.n

n

Schus
    Participant

Double majored in Accounting and Computer Information Technologyn

n

AUD 81 - BEC 89 - FAR 82 - REG 86

Patrick909
    Participant

I simply went out and got a Master of Science in Accountancy.n

n

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha! I have a BS degree in Graphic Communications and later decided to get a BA in Accounting. Talk about left brain v. right brain. It has been a struggle!n

n

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went out and got my Master of Science in Accountancy and Information Technology and getting a Masters degree versus a double undergraduate. I chose the Masters over the double Bachelors because it helped me in the promotions process at work since in the evaluation process a Masters degree is worth 20 points and and Bachelors worth only 15. By the way I am a federal employee working for the Department of the Defense.n

n

financeguy
    Participant

I'm in CA too, and I was wondering about this…

n

I am only 12 units short of 150 too, and I was just planning on taking random classes at the community college because that seems the cheapest route to go. I have been trying to find out if there is any requirement about what classes qualify for the 150 units, but I can't find any info. I have my BS in Finance, and I don't really want to spend the money for classes at the university level, so I would rather just do it at the JC.

n

I would like to hear a different perspective if someone thinks this is not a good idea, or if I have some wrong info. Thanks.n

n

AUD - 81, BEC - 74, 80, FAR - 82, REG - 81
    Done!

financeguy
    Participant

Hey Glutenator, are you trying to work for the FBI or something of that sort?n

n

Done!

zena
    Participant

financeguy, I don't know about CA, I'm in CO which does not require 150 credit hours, only 120. CO requires 27 cr hours in accounting related classes and 21 cr hours in business related classes to be included. I would think that once you satisfy the specific accounting and business requirement you can take anything else you'd like to fulfill the 150 hours.

n

I have a B.S. in Computer Science (with no business credits) so I went ahead with a Masters in Accounting and Finance Management to fulfill the 27 + 21 hours requirement. However, since my degree includes the 4 Becker prep classes, which, as of recent, no longer qualify for the 27 + 21 hours required in CO, I had to find other ways to satisfy the missing 12 hours. I took them at the local community college and AICPA accepted them so I would think that taking classes at the local JC should be OK.n

n

FAR 86 | BEC 94 | AUD 90 | REG 85
    All done! used Becker

Anonymous
    Inactive

stay true to your inner accountant and be as cheap as possible……. community collegen

n

zena
    Participant

Well put, Cowpatty!!n

n

FAR 86 | BEC 94 | AUD 90 | REG 85
    All done! used Becker

glutenator
    Participant

I tried for years to get into FBI, State Police and even military intelligence for the Army. I always came up short for one reason or another. The closest I got was working for US Marshall Service. I got accepted in January 1996, then they cut funding for the class and I got cut with it. I was working as a temp at the time for PaineWebber, and since I was getting married I decided to stay, as it was a paying job with benefits. I now work for a “Big 4” firm consulting for broker/dealer services. I think I'm getting too old to get back into the law enforcement side, but I really wish I could have worked as an analyst for the FBI or even the CIA.n

n

I'll Pass Eventually
    REG (67, 66), BEC (79), FAR (5/26/10), AUD (August 2010)

financeguy
    Participant

I had a FBI speaker come to a accounting club meeting, and it sounded like a very cool job. The guy got into the FBI through accounting, but now he does all kinds of stuff like SWAT. Apparently they are really looking for people in the accounting field because of all the financial fraud that happens these days (though our government/FED are the ones committing the greatest fraud!)

n

Last year he said they had something like close to 3000 open positions in the FBI and had well over 200,000 applicants. I would like to get a job there, but it seems like quite a longshot.n

n

Done!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sheesh so far almost everyone has double majored or completed a Masters.

n

I want to get an MBA someday… It’ll be the day I work in industry and my company is willing to pay for it though. For now, I think I’m in for some geology and film studies at my community college.

n

Actually for right now right now, back to studying for the exam..n

n

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.