150 Unit Requirement - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m in California where you only need 120 units and 2 years of experience to be licensed (changing in 2014). But I only need 16 more units for the 150, so I’m leaning towards taking random community college courses.

n

How is everyone completing the extra units needed on top of a bachelor’s degree? And does anyone else find this requirement a little silly?n

n

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    StudyGirl
    Participant

I'm in NJ and we have the 150 credit requirement too… you don't need 150 credits to sit for the exam… but it's needed to become certified.

n

I had 135 credits from my undergrad degree and am now going back to school for my Master's in Taxation & Financial Planning to hit 150 credits (and beyond).

n

I did have an undergrad professor who said that it didn't matter WHAT credits they are to make up the 150 credits… and that if I wanted to take Basket Weaving… then that would help me to become a CPA as much as Tax Accounting would.

n

and I continuously wonder why I ever chose the latter…n

n

AUD - 75; REG - 79; BEC - 72,75; FAR - 72,80 - DONE!!! THANK THE LORD!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Or you could do what I did, change your major so many times you eventually got 152 credit hours in your B.S. in Accounting. Question though, if you're cleared to take the CPA exam by the state board and the requirements change before you pass all of them, are you still cleared to be certified under the old rules? Grandfathered in?n

n

Anonymous
    Inactive

only if you sent in your application and it is approved……..if not then sorry charlie

n

you can call the state board to find out…….but that happend to me……..I was qualified but never applied in 2002 but then in 2008 I applied and they said I needed some add'l requirements………n

n

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went to a quarter school and we were required to have 225 credits to sit for the CPA exam. Although I ended up with 278 credits (slightly over, I know…) due to starting out in Computer Science & Engineering, switched to Actuarial Science temporarily, then ended up majoring in Accounting with minors in Economics and Statistics. I should add that I came into college with 35 credits from AP exams in high school, so really only 243 while in undergrad. I don't think the extra requirements are silly; there was an academic article published awhile back when they were evaluating the effectiveness of the “150 hour rule.” Students who had 150 hours or more (or equivalent in quarter hours) scored significantly better statistically on the CPA exam than those who had less than 150 hours, before the rule was implemented.n

n

Anonymous
    Inactive

Finance guy,

n

I emailed the CA cba when I first ventured out because I wanted to know the same thing re: the 150 units for that pathway. The reply I got was any unit from an accredited school (which includes JCs) counted towards the 150, but you definately needed the 24 units of accounting and 24 units of business. So, cliffnotes is you can take 12 units of ceramics, or perhaps bowling or archery… and meet the requirements.n

n

zena
    Participant

My best quarter (I went to a quarter school too) was winter quarter senior year. I had a very demanding schedule each Tuesday and Thursday. Racquetball class first thing in the morning, then run to the tennis class, then hurry home to get my skis and head up the slopes for the afternoon ski class (Thu. only)!! I would get home around 5 pm completely exhausted and sore. What a life!! The problem was that the University demanded more credit hours to allow me to graduate than my major department did so I had to fill in the hours with fluff stuff. I also took volleyball, basketball and a bridge class… LOLn

n

FAR 86 | BEC 94 | AUD 90 | REG 85
    All done! used Becker

glutenator
    Participant

I actually have a bachelors (128 undergrad credits), plus 33 graduate credits for criminal justice, plus 45 MBA credits for Accounting, plus 15 more undergrad credits to meet specific class requirements for the CPA. so, yeah, it was ridiculous…..

I'll Pass Eventually
    REG (67, 66), BEC (79), FAR (5/26/10), AUD (August 2010)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did community college 12 hrs…….1 ethics for CPA's 2 upper level acctg (Forensic&Corp Fed Tax) and one business class…..I did all but one on-line….super cheap…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I double majored in undergrad of accounting and finance.. then I took a lot of history, art and intro to using pc classes to get up to 150…nice gpa booster too.

Schus
    Participant

Double majored in Accounting and Computer Information Technology

AUD 81 - BEC 89 - FAR 82 - REG 86

Patrick909
    Participant

I simply went out and got a Master of Science in Accountancy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha! I have a BS degree in Graphic Communications and later decided to get a BA in Accounting. Talk about left brain v. right brain. It has been a struggle!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went out and got my Master of Science in Accountancy and Information Technology and getting a Masters degree versus a double undergraduate. I chose the Masters over the double Bachelors because it helped me in the promotions process at work since in the evaluation process a Masters degree is worth 20 points and and Bachelors worth only 15. By the way I am a federal employee working for the Department of the Defense.

financeguy
    Participant

I'm in CA too, and I was wondering about this…

I am only 12 units short of 150 too, and I was just planning on taking random classes at the community college because that seems the cheapest route to go. I have been trying to find out if there is any requirement about what classes qualify for the 150 units, but I can't find any info. I have my BS in Finance, and I don't really want to spend the money for classes at the university level, so I would rather just do it at the JC.

I would like to hear a different perspective if someone thinks this is not a good idea, or if I have some wrong info. Thanks.

AUD - 81, BEC - 74, 80, FAR - 82, REG - 81
    Done!

financeguy
    Participant

Hey Glutenator, are you trying to work for the FBI or something of that sort?

AUD - 81, BEC - 74, 80, FAR - 82, REG - 81
    Done!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.