CPA License Advice, Passed Everything, Misdemeanors

• Creator
    Topic
    AnonForAdvice
    Participant

Let me start of by saying I have not had the best growing up or college history but I have completely turned my life around so I’ll explain a bit but not putting too much out there. Passed all exams, experience requirement, and ethics. Got approved for license. While filling out the application for registration, the have you ever been convicted question comes up, so:
    During college:
    Plead guilty to misdemeanor possession.
    Plead guilty to false statement to police officer for an act being stupidly being drunk in college.
    Plead guilty to misdemeanor paraphernalia.
    After college:
    Plead guilty to misdemeanor possessions.

I can assure you that life is turned around, haven’t looked back on anything. No felonies and nothing that discredits the profession. I have obtained all court records and plan to write a letter as requested.

Can anyone give me advice to this?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    lmillan08
    Participant

Wait, you think there will be an issue to get licensed for having misdemeanors? That's a thing?

Recked
    Participant

Some states ask convicted of a felony, others ask for all convictions.
    The drug related ones I would think aren't too much of an issue. The false statement one might require some explanation.
    False statement directly relates to your character.

Your letter should be honest, thorough, and convincing. I think lost of CPA's have less than stellar pasts. At least its not a felony.
    Have you done a background check on yourself to see the actual charges that appear? And are any of those plead down from an initial felony charge?

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Recked
    Participant

What state?
    I'd like to review the application.

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

@Lmillan08 – I'm not sure, when you come across applications and have multiple offenses, it kinda scares ya.

@Recked – I have not done a background check but as part of licensing, I have to obtain disposition of court records. Some were plead down. It wasn't the best part of me during college as I was in a toxic relationship and was intoxicated but all of that is behind me. MD.

lmillan08
    Participant

I completely understand and now I am nervous myself. I do not want to waste my time if a misdemeanor is going to stop me from getting licensed.

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

From what I've heard, drug possessions don't disqualify you.

bhunt815
    Participant

I got a license and I once burned down an orphanage. Just kidding, but I did have a few misdemeanors in my younger days and they didn't even come up.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 84
    REG - 78
    Becker Self Study supplemented with Ninja MCQ's for BEC and REG.

Licensed CPA in Louisiana.

FAR 04/11/2016 - 84
    AUD 05/12/2016 - 79
    BEC 07/06/2016 - 81
    REG 08/29/2016

Iceman
    Participant

I did stuff as a minor, but never got caught 🙂

AUD - 93
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 90
    REG - 92
    CFA charterholder (2009)
    Recked
    Participant

I think they are really looking for crimes related to fraud and the like.
    They are mostly looking to protect the integrity of the CPA license, and the financial community as a whole.
    Bank fraud, embezzlement, dishonesty, all those types of things would be red flags.
    I have a feeling you will be fine based on your youthful indiscretions.

TommyTheCat
    Participant

i had a misdemeanor on my record when i applied earlier this year. application was accepted without any further explanation or back and forth needed between me and the CA Board of Accountancy. I made sure to complete the criminal disclosure form accurately and honestly. Make sure you disclose everything I think thats their first test. Leave something out or misrepresent something and you probably will have some issues.

In my case I got busted with a fake ID in college. Ho hum big deal right? Ya except it goes on my record as false or misuse of a state issued license. Wa oh…I was sweating bullets while my application was in review thinking they could disqualify me on the grounds that I already screwed up once with a state issued license.

Only thing I was ever told about this from the CBA when I called for an update was that my application was turned over to the “enforcement” group for a final review similar to all other applications for licensure that contain a misdemeanor or felony disclosure. Think that final enforcement review took all of a week.

Bottom line I bet the drug stuff is no big deal so long as you disclose it all. I even made reference in my disclosure to being a dumb 20 year old college kid that wasn't thinking about the consequences of his actions in regards to buying beer with a fakey. The false statement to a police officer is the only item i would be remotely concerned about if i were you. again I would frame it in your disclosure that the false statement occurred at a time you were under the influence and your judgment, however impaired at the time, is such now that you understand that doing so is unacceptable in your current mature state.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    AnonForAdvice
    Participant

Just an update. Sent everything in, looks like Board met and reviewed it last week. Name hasn't updated on the public query and when I log into the registration system, it says blocked. Called them and asked what the status was, they said you should be getting something in the mail by yesterday… still anxiously waiting on this letter. UGH… pretty sure I didn't get it?

TommyTheCat
    Participant

have faith man nothing is certain yet. hoping you get the letter from them ASAP and its just a request for more information or something like that.
    Remind me what state are you applying in?

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    DDylan
    Participant

man. these are not serious. I was charged with misdemeanor becuase of speeding too much. I called the state board and they even told me do not mention it in the application lol,…

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

@Tommy – Thanks man, will have faith that they require more information or a hearing or something. It is in MD. I would hate for all this studying last few years and getting all the experience now to go down the drain for something I am not even close to stuff mentioned in my post.

@DDylan – Misdemeanor speeding sounds like a traffic violation? Plus I didn't want to start off by lying on my application when asked the question and wanted to give complete disclosure.

Recked
    Participant

ProTip you can sign up for informed delivery by USPS to receive daily emails with gray-scale images of what should be in your mailbox.
    Let's you get the disappoint out of the way between 7-730 am instead of waiting until you get home to check the mailbox.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    My guess is a request for additional information.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.