CPA License Advice, Passed Everything, Misdemeanors - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    AnonForAdvice
    Participant

Let me start of by saying I have not had the best growing up or college history but I have completely turned my life around so I’ll explain a bit but not putting too much out there. Passed all exams, experience requirement, and ethics. Got approved for license. While filling out the application for registration, the have you ever been convicted question comes up, so:
    During college:
    Plead guilty to misdemeanor possession.
    Plead guilty to false statement to police officer for an act being stupidly being drunk in college.
    Plead guilty to misdemeanor paraphernalia.
    After college:
    Plead guilty to misdemeanor possessions.

I can assure you that life is turned around, haven’t looked back on anything. No felonies and nothing that discredits the profession. I have obtained all court records and plan to write a letter as requested.

Can anyone give me advice to this?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    AnonForAdvice
    Participant

Funny you say that, a friend told me about it this week and I signed up for it as of 2 days ago! Definitely starting my day off at 7:30am until I see what I need to see. Everyone should have this!

Recked
    Participant

Just a heads up that mail does sometimes arrive late.
    When I applied for my EFIN for efiling tax returns I saw the letter from the IRS in my morning email but then I did not receive it until 4 days later.
    That one was nerve racking. Always nerve racking to get a letter from the IRS, even when you've been handling tax cases for 17 years lol.
    It doesn't happen often but if its not delivered that same day you'll usually get it the next day.
    Don't freak out.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

bhunt815
    Participant

Did you try checking your name on capverify.org? I showed up there a week before I got any notification from my state board.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 84
    REG - 78
    Becker Self Study supplemented with Ninja MCQ's for BEC and REG.

Licensed CPA in Louisiana.

FAR 04/11/2016 - 84
    AUD 05/12/2016 - 79
    BEC 07/06/2016 - 81
    REG 08/29/2016

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

@Recked – Thanks for the positive hope!

@Bhunt815
    – Name does not show up there…

Adam
    Participant

Nobody cares about DUI or drug offenses..the only thing that will disqualify you from being licenses is some sort of serious felony..and or a crime involving financial matters..theft or soethinc like that..that could effect thte professions.

You have any idea how much coke and booze goes around the finance industry???

Relax you have little to worry about.

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

Just an FYI, got the letter. Got denied based on:
    § 2-315(a)(1)(iii)2
    Subject to the hearing provisions of § 2-317 of this subtitle, the Board, on the affirmative vote of a majority of its members, may deny a license to any applicant, reprimand any licensee, or suspend or revoke a license if the applicant or licensee:
    (iii) under the laws of the United States or of any state, is convicted of:
    2. a misdemeanor that is directly related to the fitness and qualification of the applicant or licensee to practice certified public accountancy;

Very disappointing…

jeff
    Keymaster

Very sorry to hear this! I can't even imagine the gut-punch this must be.

Question: what did you want/need the license for – working in public, or just wanted to have it so you could hold yourself out as a CPA?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    QuoVadimus
    Participant

I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope there is an appeal process or an ability to apply in another state?

Truly sorry that you're dealing with this after passing the exams.

AUD 74   Oct '18 (retake Jan '19)

BEC 79   May '18

FAR 77   Sep '18

REG 80   Nov '18

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

I am so lost right now… I was hoping for the request of more information or something in that nature.
    I worked so hard to get here and in the past 18 months, have a great job where I prepare and advise clients in taxes, this designation if what I envisioned for my career.

naptural80
    Participant

Have you considered transferring your scores and applying to a different state?

FAR - 2/27/2015
    AUD - 4/10/2015
    REG - May 2015
    BEC - May 2015

AnonCA
    Participant

@AnonForAdvice, have you tried to expunge your misdemeanors? The board may be hesitant because you are not able to pass a background check still. Maybe try that and then apply again if you can and consider rewording the explanatory letter accompanying your application to provide reasoning as to how those past mistakes are not a good indicator of your character nor of your qualification as a CPA because you have grown substantially since the incidents.

Adam
    Participant

lol all is not lost dude..go apply in IL or another state..i know people with felonies for aggravated assault and drug dealing who are there license..

Adam
    Participant

Most places have you attest to no felonies..they arent actually running background checks.

Recked
    Participant

If you had to provide court dispositions, how many of those charges were originally felonies?
    My initial guess is that it's either the lying to an officer, or the sheer volume of the charges.
    Did you write a convincing heart wrenching letter to go with your application?
    I think your next step is probably going to be an appeal of some type. You may want to consult with an attorney about this.
    Maybe there is a chance they can go back and have the original charges changed or sealed in some way.
    Don't give up hope yet.
    _
    Also, possession of what? I was assuming we were talking about weed. Was it Schedule 1 2 or 3 controlled substances?
    Did you ever have intent to sell that was plead down to simple possession?

If your appeal is not successful I would seriously consider moving to a non-mid west state that has such an unfavorable view on drugs, etc.
    I feel your odds of being licensed in a northeast state are probably better than MD.
    If it was weed, what happens when/if it eventually becomes legal in your state? Presumably all of those original charges will be dropped.
    Any more details you can share on this? Call your lawyer.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

AnonForAdvice
    Participant

@Adam – I obviously don't want to not disclose.
    @Recked – The 1st one was poss with intent to distribute and poss of marijuana – ultimately, poss of marijuana was guilty. The next one was poss of marijuana. The most recent one (2 years ago) was a poss with intent to distribute and 2 poss of non-marijuana (sch II) but the possessions is what i plead guilty to and currently on probation but will be completed this year and be granted a PBJ.
    Sounds to me its the volume of charges over an 8 year period.
    My letter was good and described how much i've changed and currently where I am in life and not to look at my charges in such a heavily manner.
    Currently looking for an attorney to get represented by so I can really prove myself, even if I can get a probationary license of some sort. I don't want to give up. I don't think getting the charges cleared at this point would do much as all is disclosed.
    In the state, marijuana is decriminalized so not sure how they are viewing all this. The first 3 charges were all related to mj 8 years ago… It really sucks that possession of drugs can really effect licensing and career.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.