Texas Certification Processing Time – January 2020

• Creator
    Topic
    TheeAccountant
    Participant

I overnighted my application for certification to the board on Wednesday, and it was delivered yesterday morning. Has anybody recently gone through this process in Texas in the last few months? I was wondering how long it takes them now to process the applications for certification. I’m not impatient or anything 😄

AUD - 85
    BEC - 92
    FAR - 84
    REG - 88
    I've found an anomaly in the Space-Time Continuum. NASBA and the AICPA are in the 19th century. They use slide rules to score the exam, and then they send the scores by Pony Express to the State Boards. That's why it takes so long for them to do a score release.
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Biff Tannen
    Participant

@theaccountant not sure why it would take longer than a few weeks maximum? Would you mind sharing your experience with the ethics exam? I heard it’s open book but not sure if I need to study for it before hand or if I can knock it out in one sitting without any studying. Thanks

AUD - 78
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 79
    REG - 85
    “An investment in knowledge pays the best dividends” - Benjamin Franklin
    TheeAccountant
    Participant

They send you a link to the board’s rules & regs at some point after they process the certification application. I will post updates. My co-worker said it was easy and took about 45 minutes, just read carefully.

It seems last year it was taking two to four weeks, was wondering if it was the same this year.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 92
    FAR - 84
    REG - 88
    I've found an anomaly in the Space-Time Continuum. NASBA and the AICPA are in the 19th century. They use slide rules to score the exam, and then they send the scores by Pony Express to the State Boards. That's why it takes so long for them to do a score release.
    caritus14
    Participant

My process was as follows:

6/24/19 – I received the Application for Certificate
    6/25/19 – I mailed the Application for Certificate filled out to the Board ( 2-day priority mail)
    7/12/19 – I received via email the link to the Code of Professional Conduct Exam (also known as the “Ethic Exam)…I submitted the exam the very next morning.
    7/18/19 – I received via email my CPA License Number

In regards to the Ethics Exam, the exam can be done under an hour. It is online and open-book. Not hard at all 🙂

I hope this helps!

AUD - 86
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 82
    REG - 98
    Caritus14
    caritus14
    Participant

@LIFO The Party: I forgot to mention that you do not need to study for the Ethics exam. You can easily find the answers since it is open-book. Even though the exam is not difficult, make sure to read carefully.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 82
    REG - 98
    Caritus14
    Biff Tannen
    Participant

@caritus14 thanks! What about the work experience requirement? Did your job send in the forms directly to TSBPA, or did you receive the forms from your job and you included the forms with your application for certification?

AUD - 78
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 79
    REG - 85
    “An investment in knowledge pays the best dividends” - Benjamin Franklin
    TheeAccountant
    Participant

I asked each employer for them, I had two internships, and then mailed them with the application and notarized oath of office.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 92
    FAR - 84
    REG - 88
    caritus14
    Participant

In my case, I requested my boss to fill out my work experience since I've worked here for 8 plus years. She was able to return the requested information within 30 minutes.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 82
    REG - 98
    Caritus14
    Jack20
    Participant

I just got my license today from Texas.

Here is my timeline:

02/07 turn in all paperwork
    02/12 website show they received my check/fee
    02/20 received a call to resend some info on job description by email
    02/21 received an ethics exam email
    02/26 received an approved email and CPA number. need to paid for license
    02/27 all paid and fully certified

Basically almost 3 weeks.

b.cast
    Participant

I am so glad this post exists…. I have a question for you all that have gone through the Texas process. In regard to what's required for work experience, I am a little confused. From my understanding, there are the two work experience forms and I also need to send a description of my roles at the employer who is signing off on my experience. I have these items already so I am good there.
    There's an additional item of support, I am curious about. It sounds as though the CPA signing off on my experience is supposed to provide memo about THEIR experience. I found this a bit odd as they are already a CPA and not the person applying for certification. Per the instructions, this is what is to be provided “a statement describing the type and amount of experience the CPA possesses that qualifies the individual to supervise the candidate”.
    Am I misunderstanding something? Is this something y'alls CPA provided? Mine filled out the form but didn't give me this statement even though I requested…. I wanted to post the question here to clarify before I bug them again 🙂

Info is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks – Britney

Jack20
    Participant

You need the person signing off to have a short paragraph of what they do. This is to prove the person is qualified to sign off your application.

Jennyhavetopass
    Participant

@b.cast
    My supervisor just wrote a few sentences to state his experience.

b.cast
    Participant

Thank you for the info!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.