Help To Study Effectively

• Creator
    Topic
    Renee
    Participant

Can y’all give me any tips to help focus on the exam, actually pass, and stay motivated? Thank You.

Also, I’m using Wiley Excel (won the review) and will have to study at the library or use app. I’m not sure which to study I’ve taken FAR, BEC, and AUD failed all three first try and didn’t study effectively. Just got tired of people being surprised I failed and putting me down too. This time I’ll keep it on the low and decide which to study and how to do it :P. I’ll be in the states for about 6-7 months due to an opportunity I missed this year but will leave next year so short time frame.

FAR - TBA

AUD - TBA

BEC - TBA (Studying Now) - Wiley and Ninja

REG - TBA

Never Give Up!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

Literally thousands of MCQs. That seems to be the winning key for most people.
    Do the MCQs, then review them to see why the right answers are right, and the wrong answers are wrong.
    If I were to do it all over again I would watch the videos and go straight to the MCQs. 6 months is very possible.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Renee
    Participant

Thank you very much! I do like the idea of doing MCQ and just hammering them. I'll be sure to make a schedule, so I can make myself commit. I'm gonna listen to my motivation stuff on YOU tube and grind.

FAR - TBA

AUD - TBA

REG - TBA

Never Give Up!

thunderlips
    Participant

Lock yourself in a room and do nothing but multiple choice questions

bigstakk
    Participant

I used GLEIM and passed all 4 first try. I recommend it if you are not doing well with you current study materials. You need to study around 3-4hrs/day during the week and 6-8hrs/day on weekends for at last 4-6 weeks per section but 6-8 weeks if you are struggling with the material. Do lots of MCQs but also do a lots of SIMs so you get the hang of how those work format wise. I personally studied during lunch breaks at work and at night after work. I would go into work on weekends if home is noisy (I have a toddler so I did this a lot). You have to be really mentally focused and pay very close to the instructions on SIMs (ie: enter zeros, positives, negatives, etc) and in general, make sure you read questions correctly and focus on key or qualifying words (ie: best, worst, not, etc). You have to just want it and not let anything get in your way so put your social life on hold for the next year. Also use money as a motivation. I simply could not afford to spend money on taking these exams multiple times so I prepared like I had to pass to avoid losing money. If you don’t feel comfortable with your preparation then pay the $30 and reschedule your exam rather than risking failure (I did this with 2 of my exams as I needed just a few more days). Don’t treat these exams like mock tests. Do your mock tests before hand and then focus on your weak areas and reread those sections and do more MCQs. I found that cramming hard the final week worked well at retaining the material as well. Good luck!

AUD - 81
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 80
    REG - 82

Ethics Exam - 90%
    Licensed CPA in CA

Renee
    Participant

@Some_day thank you I'll be sure to go to the library and use the app more ^_^.

FAR - TBA

AUD - TBA

REG - TBA

Never Give Up!

Renee
    Participant

@Bigstakk Congratulations! Well I haven't studied in a while was about to take a gap year. I'm sure my study plan wasn't good I was in Graduate school full-time at night, worked, and take care of a parent after a surgery but that's no excuse. Now I'm reconsidering retaking thanks to someone on Re-ddit for encouraging me. It's been hard people get judgemental when you tell them you've failed and I didn't wanna take it again. Now I don't care what people think and have gotten helpful advice on here and Re-ddit. Someone even gave me a break down schedule to study Sunday through Saturday seemed like a great idea. I just have to commit and tell everyone I can't help them right now. Go to the library everyday and focus ^_^. Thank you for the tips, I'm about to study for another exam but won't schedule to take until I'm ready.

FAR - TBA

AUD - TBA

REG - TBA

Never Give Up!

jeff
    Keymaster

NINJA Method is the best (I'm biased)

Nail the Concepts
    Intense Notes
    Non-Stop MCQ
    Just Re-Write Your Notes
    All Comes Together

Full plan with planners here: https://www.another71.com/free-downloads/

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    sdollen64
    Participant

Hey jeff – your link leads to some post about free tax software.

My teenage son to me "If you don't pass, it isn't like you'll die or anything."  True.  Very true.  Just do your best, it's all you can do.
    jeff
    Keymaster

Weird – fixed. Thank you 🙂

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.