Gleim vs Surgent CPA Review

• Creator
    Topic
    Jen
    Participant

Hello All,

Basic question: Gleim CPA Review vs. Surgent CPA Review Pros/Cons, Good/Bad, Any advice? Just looking for some recommendation before I purchase one or the other. I am 38, work full time, and am about 4 years out of school. Looking for something engaging enough to not put me to sleep after a full work day, that has good lectures/book/questions to follow.

P.S. Tried using the search feature in the forum to research this more and it would not work

“ninja-cpa-review”/

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jeff
    Keymaster

I fixed the search feature. Apparently, I needed to pay the bill 🙂

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    Dad of girls
    Participant

I used Gleim and passed all the section on the first try, but as many people point out it is a blood-bath. Gleim is overly detailed, so they prepare you very well for the exam, plus the multiple choice questions do a good job of explaining why the answer is correct vs why the wrong answers are incorrect. The biggest thing with Gleim is to not let bad scores keep you down, I ended up ignoring their smart learning (or whatever they call it) and just went through the chapters at my own pace b/c if you follow smart learning it takes way to long because the questions are so difficult. So basically you need to be able to self-study, and determine when you have the concepts good enough to move on even if the system says you don't. Hope that helps.

AUD - 89
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 90
    REG - 81
    Data_75
    Participant

I also used Gleim and went 4 for 4 on test. It is brutal, be prepared to constantly be told you're wrong but come exam day you will be thankful for it! Prepared me really well for the SIMS I feel like.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76
    I wouldn't be mad if I never saw another multiple choice question again!
    alloverit
    Participant

I agree with the previous two responses. Gleim has some very long, detailed MCQ. The actual test questions will look noticeably shorter. However, I don't think you'll find the lectures very interesting. Gleim is a bit “no frills” IMO so keep that in mind.

My process, which worked okay, was to simply learn by doing MCQs….mixing new material while always circling back to review along the way. If you can avoid getting beaten down by the process AND avoid simply memorizing answers, that process works well.

Ultimately (and as discussed on this forum countless times), you can pass with any review program.

Good luck

FAR 81

AUD 83

BEC 93

REG 84

Ross

Recked
    Participant

Suggest utilizing the free trials from both providers, plus some others as well.
    It's not so much about the course, as which one best fits your specific learning style.
    They all have enough to get you across the finish line, but if you choose one that meshes well with you, it will be less torturous.
    The others to look into would be Ninja, Wiley, Roger, Becker, plus Gleim and Surgent.
    You are laying out thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours. Make the best informed decision you can.
    They also send you coupon codes after your free trial is over.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Carolina
    Participant

@Jen … did you ever decide which you like better? I am using Surgent right now and I am considering getting another package because the lectures are dry and I don't know it just doesn't sit great with me.

Nothing to report here.
    A_Rish
    Participant

Surgent was perfect for me; I'd recommend it. Plenty of content and the intuitive learning technology helped focus in on weak areas. The price was totally reasonable as well. Toward the end of each of my studying periods, I'd supplement with Ninja MCQs and audio. This method seemed to serve me well. I was a nervous wreck for each exam but managed to go 4 for 4, with strong scores each time. Good luck in your studies!

AUD - 96
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 95
    REG - 93
    Through God, I can accomplish anything.
    elshadai.kiflu
    Participant

@Jen Im curious which one you went with ?

elshadai.kiflu
    Participant

A_ Rush Did you end up switching. I am looking into both Gleim and Surgent I plan on supplementing with Ninja for both but Im having difficulty deciding between Surgent and Gliem. Gleim looks like a blood bath I don't mind but Surgent some parts look fairly simple so I dont know if its good enough…I would love feed back if anyone has any…

Tncincy
    Participant

I'm using surgent and am studying for Far hoping to test the end of Feb. I am starting with the weak areas pointed out in the assessment. I must say the videos are very uninteresting and I am still insecure about getting so many mcq's wrong. But I guess if I stick with it I'll pass. I feel like I am spending more time trying to learn the program, but I'll be a little more patient. I'll probably supplement with Ninja as well.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

bigstakk
    Participant

I used GLEIM and went 4 for 4. I didn’t go overboard studying crazy amounts and focused on getting mid 80s and it worked out for me. Highly recommend the material. Haven’t met anyone who’s used it and failed. Good luck all.

“free-cpa-exam-notes”

AUD - 81
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 80
    REG - 82

Ethics Exam - 90%
    Licensed CPA in CA

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.