Which CPA Study Course

• Creator
    Topic
    Mike
    Participant

I am looking on some advice on which study program I should use. I have used both Rogers and Ninja in the past (a couple of years ago….never ended up testing). I liked the Rogers videos but found myself bogged down taking notes as I watched (constantly rewinding). I liked the Ninja audio but once again found I took too much time taking notes while listening and rewinding. I am 45 years old, work full-time and have kids so have to be extremely wise with my time. I definitely prefer the price of Ninja. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Diesel
    Participant

As someone who is really cheap myself, I buy a Becker book and read it. Then I ram through all the Ninja MCQ I can get my hands on. I reread parts of the Becker book to solidfy my understanding of certain topics. I ALWAYS go through the AICPA practice exam, and I spend a little bit of time looking through the Ninja sim answers and studying those I feel are really important (I feel the Ninja sims have really helped me on the actual Sims on the exam). I didn't do lectures or audio since neither matches my learning style.

Everyone has a different learning style, though. That was the cost effective solution that has worked for me. Ninja MCQs have been the key to the success I've had so far.

AUD - 89
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 79
    REG - 85
    monikernc
    Participant

I used NINJA book and mcq’s predominately- I also used free Roger and Miles videos on YouTube and when I needed a break from the computer went through borrowed Gleim books. I watched Alan Mursau (RIP) YouTube videos on hard to learn topics as I had done in school. I did every sim in NINJA at least once. I would not want to walk into an exam without practicing SIMS. I did the AICPA practice exams and read the candidate bulletin because they are helpful and we attest to do those when we get our NTS. I give the most credit to NINJA resources and this forum. Though, I think now more of the forum study support happens in the DOJO. Set a goal and get it done or before you know it you will be 50 and think you are too old to do it. Hurry, before they change it again.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Mike
    Participant

Thanks! So it sounds like a textbook plus Ninja might be the best way to go? Any ideas on where to pick up inexpensive textbooks?

Mike
    Participant

Thanks! So it sounds like a book from one of the major courses plus Ninja might be the best way to go? Any ideas on where to pick up inexpensive textbooks?

thunderlips
    Participant

i have heard good things about mds. maybe check that out too?

Diesel
    Participant

I used Ebay to find used books. Has worked like a charm every time. I bought my first full set for $40. However, buy the most updated version of the book (very important!) and make sure it's not just the “final review” version. You want the full version.

I'm a reader so I enjoy reading the book, and I absolutely love the format of Becker's books. But Ninja MCQ is key…

AUD - 89
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 79
    REG - 85
    Tncincy
    Participant

I think you should use what you have, I have ping ponged between study programs only to find the same materials and the same promises to pass. But None of them volunteer to read the book for you. I agree with pass topics such as this. that you could pass using any program. Believe me, don't waste anymore money. Get the ninja mcq's, use the Roger videos if you get stuck and pass this thing.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.