Canadian Applying to NASBA➡ Do I have to apply to NASBA international?

• Creator
    Topic
    Felix The Cat
    Participant

Good Morning,

I am a Canadian whom has graduated from the University of Toronto business administration program (streaming in accounting), and have completed a few courses at other universities.

I understand I most likely would be required to earn a credit in an American tax course, and perhaps some other courses.

As the title states, would I be required to apply to the NASBA International Branch, or would I be able to apply to the main NASBA branch? (as if I was an American).

Questions:

1. IF I have a business degree from Ontario, what additional courses do you think? I would have to do? ( I have completed personal and corporate tax, advanced financial accounting, and auditing amongst others).

2. Is there anything at all possible that you believe I should be aware of?

3. Are there any Canadians here who would know which Canadian Universities NASBA would approve of? (Aside from Athabasca)

I know NASBA takes a long time to reply. I intend to Apply to CPA Illinois.

Thank you for carefully reading my post and making a useful reply.

Havent decided when I will be writing BEC, FAR, REG, AUD
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    NoName
    Participant

CPA licenses like other professional licenses are issued at a state level and each state has different rules (for example, some states require a masters degree in accounting and some do not (for example, California does not require a masters degree).

I would recommend reading up on the rules of the state where you plan to apply (you don't want to be caught off guard by missing education requirements or other things).

Most of the of the foreign folks I have encountered who have a CPA license are residents of my state (as in they are living here) which differs from your situation.

REG - 93 90% Gleim MCQ/book + 10% Wiley MCQ

BEC - 79 100% Wiley MCQ/book

FAR - 88 100% Gleim MCQ/book + Ninja Audios

AUD - 85 100% Wiley MCQ/book + Ninja Audios

Licensed CPA as of 2019

CMA Pt 1  400  100% Gleim MCQ/book

CMA Pt 2  Pending Score

NoName
    Participant

Why not get licensed/certified in Canada? Many people here in the US have foreign certifications/licenses (eg UK Chartered accountant, Indian Chartered accountant)

If you are actually going to work in public accounting then I understand but otherwise it may just be simpler to go with your local program.

REG - 93 90% Gleim MCQ/book + 10% Wiley MCQ

BEC - 79 100% Wiley MCQ/book

FAR - 88 100% Gleim MCQ/book + Ninja Audios

AUD - 85 100% Wiley MCQ/book + Ninja Audios

Licensed CPA as of 2019

CMA Pt 1  400  100% Gleim MCQ/book

CMA Pt 2  Pending Score

Felix The Cat
    Participant

Moving to Illinois to be with my girlfriend.

Havent decided when I will be writing BEC, FAR, REG, AUD
    Tugga
    Participant

You will need to send your transcript for evaluation.

arbit
    Participant

Hi Felix,

Here are my 2 cents;

1.) Please submit your CPA application directly to the state (Illinois in your case), which is much faster and more responsive than NASBA.

2.) Check with the state of Illinois to see what additional courses you may need to fulfill the education requirements.

3.) Please send your official transcript, order it directly from UT/other Colleges&Universities you have attended and receive credits for.

4.) Yes, Me is one. Here is the required documents for Canadians in Illnois https://www.accountingedu.org/illinois-cpa.html

And I copy and paste the required documents from NASBA website,

DEC – Diplome D`Etudes Collegiales transcript (if applicable, Quebec Province)
    Transcripts
    Bachelor Degree
    Master Degree (if applicable)

Application fee
    Copy of passport or government issued identification.
    NIES will not accept transfer study on another transcript.
    NIES requires documentation for each year of international post-secondary education.
    Please note that completion of a higher degree is not acceptable as proof of prior study.
    If your school requires a request from our office to issue the necessary documentation, please fill out and submit the Transcript Request Form.
    Complete set of official English translations for non-English documents
    Please Note: all mail must be addressed to NASBA International Evaluation Services. Failure to add International Evaluation Services to the address will result in the delay of your application being processed.
    Transcripts and degree certificates (diplomas) may be submitted electronically provided they are official. Some schools do not offer this service. Contact your Registrar or academic record’s office for additional information. If an email address is required for electronic delivery, use etranscriptnies@nasba.org. Electronically delivered transcripts must be submitted directly from the institution(s).

Best of Luck to you and your GF.

Tugga
    Participant

Almost all Canadian universities are recognized in the U.S. Get your transcript evaluated by an NASBA's approved evaluator.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.