Got BS Accountancy from Philippines seeking help to get US CPA

• Creator
    Topic
    grace
    Participant

Hi! I am new here. Can anyone help me with my situation? I graduated BS Accountancy at University of the East Manila, Philippines 2014 and moved here in Minnesota, US last 2016. I came across an article stating that I can actually acquire a CPA license in the US. I already checked NASBA and read the state requirements but some information are confusing. Their library where I am supposed to get more info charges fee. I am currently enrolled at a state university here in Minnesota finishing liberal education courses. I am a permanent resident also.
    1. Can anyone walk me through or tell me the step by step process I should do?
    2. Based on your experience, 120 or 150 credits how did your evaluation go? I mean how long did it take for you to fulfill the 120 or 150 credits before you can actually sit for the CPA exam?
    3. what is the 24 credit hours? is it on top of 120 or 150 credits?
    4. Did you apply for financial aid assistance (FAFSA) did they approve it or not?

thanks
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    J King
    Participant

You might have to send your transcript to your state board to check if you are qualified. You will either get an email (if you opted to receive email) that you can sit, or a direct mail, informing you that you don't have sufficient units to sit. They are probably going to translate the units you have taken from where you graduated into units here in US (not sure). I graduated in CA with Accounting degree and I was qualified. I'd say it depends on the university to acquire 150 units only from finishing undergraduate.

FAR - 65 (Planned rematch on Apr/May 2018 'cuz CalBOA is turtle slow)
    AUD - 2/10/18 (Roger MCQ/TBS, 5 weeks prep) - Pending...
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Joshua 1:9

grace
    Participant

J King Thanks! So thats the first step is to have my transcript evaluated. I am tempted to take a 2yr course offered by the state university I am currently enrolled in since I am not confident about my acquired knowledge like the differences between Phils and US especially in taxation and business law but then that's a long road to take.

thanks
    J King
    Participant

No problem. Just so you know that the evaluation process might take a long while (it took mines 7 weeks before I got my ATT from state board).

I know someone who got his undergraduate degree from PH. I didn't ask whether he had to take classes here to meet the requirements, but he did mention something about taking online classes. I am not sure if that's how he could sit for the exam or that's only for the CPE part.

You can always call your state board and inquire about how the translation/conversion of transcript process works.

FAR - 65 (Planned rematch on Apr/May 2018 'cuz CalBOA is turtle slow)
    AUD - 2/10/18 (Roger MCQ/TBS, 5 weeks prep) - Pending...
    REG - TBD
    BEC - TBD

Joshua 1:9

Reema
    Participant

@ Grace- Get your Education evaluated from NASBA.

I took my education from India and shifted to Massachusetts last year . I applied for undecided jurisdiction since I knew I would not be fulfilling credit requirements for MA. Based on my education, NASBA gave me 3 jurisdictions and I decided to go with New Hampshire since I received 160 credit hours. The whole process took approx 2-3 weeks.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 88
    REG - 84
    B - 88

A - 86

R - 84

F - 88

Roger + Ninja MCQs

aaronmo
    Participant

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're going to be a CPA, you need to be able to do basic process research like this without help. Go to a state board. Read the rules. If you have a question, call and ask.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86
    Aaron and always remember, YMMV

I profit from your CPE frustration. You're welcome.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You need to get your transcript evaluated by a reputable credential evaluation company like WES, World Education Services. The equivalency report is what you need to submit to your State Board along with your transcript for evaluation.

Taking a graduate certificate in Accounting would be a great route if you’re planning to sit instead of taking a second bachelor’s degree. There are not much differences as far as FAR and AUD sections compared with any accounting degree outside the United States. But with REG and BEC, yes you’re correct. BIG differences!

Most of the graduate certificate courses around are even tied up with some of the leading reviewers like Becker, Wiley, etc.
    Good luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Grace.

I am on the same boat. I have a CPA license from Philippines and wondering if I am eligible to sit for an exam without taking additional units. Obviously I need to learn the tax but I am somewhat familiar since I am working for a CPA firm here in California.

I just submitted my transcript for evaluation.

Where are you at in the processing of becoming a CPA here in US?

lurking_CPA
    Participant

Knowing a Filipino coworker – most reputable universities when they did the transcript evaluation were okay on the degree. Most had to go to community college locally to get more units to hit 150.

I would highly recommend taking tax classes to hit your 150 units to familiarize yourself for REG.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 76
    REG - 75
    FAR  - 67, 47, 60, 76
    REG - 55, 56, 75
    AUD - 59, 73, 85
    BEC - 63, 74, 85

Ethics - 92

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi!

I am also from the Philippines, may I know the result of the evaluation? Because I am planning also to submit mine next week.
    Hope we can get in touch. I live in California.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

If you really are a graduate of Accountancy in the Philippines, you don’t have to worry since our accounting program is enough for the 150 units required by Board of Accountancy. Based on my experience, I didn’t take additional class for my tax. I just relied on my review course material to understand all the things about US taxation. By the way, I’m also a California candidate and I’m just waiting for the final review of my license application.

Good luck po sa inyo 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you so much for your reply. May I know where did you submit you TOR for evaluation? and are you attending review right now? or just self review?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Please go to the website below and read the documents they need for evaluation. I’m already done with the CPA exam. I’m currently waiting for my actual license.I only did a self review throughout my CPA exam journey. As far as I know, there’s no review schools like RESA,CPAR here in US. You will just buy review course materials and do a self review.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow. Congratulations!! May I know the review materials that helped you a lot? Sorry I have a lot of questions, good thing I found you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No worries. I must say Roger is the best but I also used Ninja and Wiley for my exam. Most of my Filipino friends have used the same materials. By the way, where are you right now? I mean, what city here in CA?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank You so much, I live in LA. How about you?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.