50+ Years Old – In The Game - Page 2

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Recked
    Participant

So you traded a state employee pension for $15k salary increase?
    Bold moves! Are you happy with the move so far?

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Tncincy
    Participant

I always enjoy posts like this because I have been here too long starting and stopping the journey. Yes, I am 54 and am still pursuing my CPA dream. I've been run my own bookkeeping and tax business for 25 years. the industry has changed so much that I need to get with the technology so I can stay in business. My goal is to finish exams by the end of this year and convert my business to a cpa firm. Someone sent me a junior accountant position from a small cpa office, I was thinking of taking the position to get the CPA to sign on my experience. But I was hoping my 25 years would help me somehow with the one year experience. I'll find away, but everyone around me is realizing their career dreams, so why not me. I take Reg May 15 and will prepare for Far very soon after. After reading this post from the beginning, I am re-assured that there is hope even though I am over 50.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass
    Me.
    Participant

@Recked Yes, definitely happier! New position, Controller with small Mfg. Co, is much more challenging and interesting. I liked Auditing work but the Government job had morale issues, limited growth opportunities and definitely not worth staying for the pension. (Did vest and will receive a small pension for 7 years of employment).

@Tncincy
    I know you have been on here as long as I have. You can do it! It took me awhile to figure out how to study. For me it was copious amounts of MCQ's (Thanks Another 71!) Then I would read the book and I always found some tidbit that wasn't covered in the MCQ's. The feeling of passing that final exam is priceless. Perseverance is the key, I know many who gave up. I thought about giving up a time or two but I wasn't going to let the exam get the best of me…And now I am a CPA!

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.