CA PETH exam

• Creator
    Topic
    Vidhya
    Participant

hi,

I am preparing for the ethics exam and I read all the posts about this exam. I know this is hard. I wanted to know if i can still take the exam, print those questions and exit without submitting ? I am not sure if that would be counted as attempt one. And also, is it possible to print without submitting ?
    I do not want to risk and would be great if someone can confirm if they did this way of preparation recently.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vidhya

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    She
    Participant

Hey Vidhya!

I recently did it in April. Just print the page and logout. I then thoroughly searched the answer with CTRL+F and checked again 3 times. Then logged in another day and I could see the same exam. I selected the answers and then submitted it. Passed on 1st try with 92!

I would just say that you should check your answers twice or thrice! You will find mistakes, at least a few!

Good luck! 🙂

AUD - 80
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 82
    REG - 79
    CPA (Licensed in California)

v.vidhya18
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response. How were you sure your answers were right ? WAs it easy searching the answers from the pdf material ?

Regards.
    Vidhya

She
    Participant

@Vidhya Most answers were easy to search, you would probably end up on the exact text in the pdf. Some required analysis and involved lot of mind game. But just re-read the concepts. Also, eliminating the options that are surely not the answers worked for me. Helps you stay confident about your choice!

AUD - 80
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 82
    REG - 79
    CPA (Licensed in California)

Vidhya
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your insight. This helped me so much.

Regards,
    Vidhya

Cruz818
    Participant

For what it's worth, don't stress too much if you don't pass it the first time. I failed my first attempt and found the second attempt to have a lot fewer ‘mind game' questions. I remember seeing the results of my first attempt (you see which you got wrong) and still maintain I had chosen the correct answer on some of them. Sorry, I digress.

But yeah, the CA PETH exam isn't easy at all.

Four months and out!

Wiley for FAR/BEC.  Wiley + Ninja for REG/AUD

FAR - 77 (2/2018)

BEC - 79 (3/2018)

REG - 78 (5/2018)

AUD - 86 (6/2018)

v.vidhya18
    Participant

Hi all,

By god's grace i passed the ethics exam, Thanks a lot for your valuable support and guidance.

Kach
    Participant

I read alot of people saying that they logged and when they went back in the original test had changed (they were given a different test from the original one they printed out).
    How sure are you that we can print, log-out and log back in with the same test?

KKach

Kathy Kachaturian
    monikernc
    Participant

I prepared by watching the videos and answering the questions in the videos. Then when I finished the videos I took the exam. I didn’t rush the exam and found the answers I needed help with by searching the pdf. Passed first try with a 93. Don’t sweat it but give it an honest effort because you do need a 90 and you need to provide the correct answers. Ethics require your interest and attention but they are not difficult to learn.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

inviteyou
    Participant

I had to take it twice. I wasn't serious the first time and wish I had been because it took me about 12 hours the first time only to not pass. When I took it the first time I left the exam open and didn't screen shot it; I just selected the answer and moved to the next question. I was afraid to X out of the program thinking when I logged back in I would get a whole new set of questions, so I just plugged away. I was more frustrated that it took me a while to find one answer (sometimes 45 minutes) but that was because I was trying to rush and just get it over with and wasn't familiar with the numbering system nor sections.

The second time I wrote all my answers down on a separate sheet of paper and entered them at the end. I started at 6:30 AM and finished at 7:10 PM with a lot of small breaks in between. I didn't X out either. I kept the exam open and prayed that my internet connection wouldn't drop. I was also afraid to refresh. Everything worked out though. I didn't lose connection and when I entered all of my answers the system picked them up and I passed with 90%.

As far as the exam questions I felt they were similar compared to the first try. I didn't find them easier the second time around. Overall, some of the questions were straightforward and some were tricky. And what I mean by tricky is that you can't seem to find the answer in the PDF and having failed at the first attempt I was determined to find every single answer in the PDF because I didn't want to waste yet another 12 hours on a precious Saturday.

Also, double check your answers and even the ones you think you know. For each answer I wrote down the page number where I found the answer. There was one question where I felt I knew it and didn't write the page down nor look it up. When I went back to double check just to be sure I found out I was WRONG!! So I changed it to the correct answer before entering and I ended up getting a 90%. So if I wouldn't have double checked it's possible that would've been the sixth answer I had gotten wrong and would've had had to take it over again!!! Double check your answers. I know it's a pain and feels time consuming but just adjust your perspective from the onset and you'll get through it and learn while you're at it. : )

My advice is to take-your-time. Get it in your head from the beginning that you're going to be doing the exam all day, if you have time, and stick with it. Pace yourself, be patient with the process and yourself because it can get frustrating and, if you're like me, you'll have the urge to just pick an answer to move you closer to the finish line. Don't give in. Make sure you have the right answer. Again, there were a few that I couldn't find the answer or I found the answer and just couldn't fully grasp and had to make a decision, hence the 90%. But I took the approach that every question counted.

In terms of the preparation, there's an online course available for a fee. My only quip is that the video didn't have a playback speed option. I wanted to change the playback speed to 1.75 or 2X because they guy talked slowly and the two hours seemed to drag. The information he covered was useful, but could I have done without? Probably, but at the same time it wasn't a complete waste. I did find maybe one or two things he covered in the video on the Exam.

Before taking the Exam I wish I had gotten familiar with the numbering system in the Code–this probably would've taken me 15 minutes. Understanding the numbering system helps you to find the answer more quickly when you know the sections rather than constantly referring to the TOC or using the Index. The review questions at the end of the chapter are HELPFUL!! I wish I would've answered or at least reviewed those before taking the Exam.

Both times when I took the Exam the actual PDF cut-out after six hours or so. The first time I panicked because I didn't know what was happening and the PDF became unreadable and I thought ‘How am I going to finish this Exam if I can't access the PDF?' After figuring out how to resolve, all you need to do is go to the Task Manager on your laptop or computer and End Task for Adobe Reader (I don't have Adobe Acrobat). After I ended each task for the Adobe Reader I was able to go back and open up the file. You can't restart your computer because then you'll lose all of your work.

AUD - 76
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 78
    REG - 75
    practice, Practice, PRACTICE!
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.