Cheap credits to meet the 150 requirement - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    klmc
    Participant

Hi all,

this question might have been asked before but I am wondering if anybody knows what’s the cheapest way to fullfill the 150 credit requirement. I have 131 currently so need 19 more credits. I don’t care about what kinda of classes they are just need them to be accepted by the AICPA. I guess they would have to be regional accredation? Not sure how that works. Anyway does anybody know of a website or online college that I can utilize to meet this requirement?

Thanks in advance

|FAR| - 72, 83
    |AUD| - 73, 76
    |REG| - 76
    |BEC| - 73, 82

ALL DONE!!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    JaySt
    Participant

@Martin: I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also in Colorado and there's no way I'm getting in before the deadline.

Read this: https://www.nasba.org/files/2011/02/Info_ForApplicants_Colorado.pdf

“Correspondence, online courses and CLEP credit are acceptable when an applicant receives credit

for the courses at a regionally accredited university. These courses must appear on an official

transcript.”

CPA Excel Gold, Ninja Flashcards, Ninja Audio
    AUD - 70, 79!
    FAR - 64 Retake 4/30.
    BEC - 71, 78!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@mellykay I did take several of those and transferred them in to my alma mater, Thomas Edison State College, for free; however, last I saw they were no longer accepting the FEMA courses for credit and TESC is generally very generous with their credit transfer policies, so I'd be a bit more hesitant to do them now – just make sure you know for sure where you'll be able to transfer them and that the school you transfer to is accredited etc. before putting the time and effort into them. However, if you can still get them accepted for credit, they are a pretty nice way to get some quick easy credits. 🙂

mellykay

@lilla thanks so much!! I'm definitely going to look into it once I pass my last part! 🙂

FAR- 78 (7/27/14)
    AUD- 69, 80 (1/7/15)
    REG- 76 (10/16/14)
    BEC- 76 (11/14/14)

NJ Candidate

I'M DONE!!!!!!

JS867_5309

My college degrees shorted me by 1 credit, so I wound up taking an online CC class that was essentially Quickbooks for Dummies. It was super fast, because the instructor just used the files given with the textbook – I completed the whole class in 2 or 3 weekends! Good luck 🙂

Exam:I'm done 🙂 🙂 🙂
    REG - 71 (2/22/14); 67 (4/3/14); 74 (8/29/15); 83 (2/29/16)!!!
    BEC - 72 (5/24/14); 85 (1/3/15)!!!!
    AUD - 72 (8/23/14); 76 (10/15/14)!!!
    FAR - 77 (5/26/15)!!!

Started in 2013 using Kaplan and failed REG, REG, BEC, AUD. Switched to NINJA suite in Sept 2014 and passed AUD...then BEC...then FAR!
    REG took 2 tries but I finally got it in too!
    I'm a hard convert - Using NINJA method with NINJA video/book/notes/MCQ

Education: Check
    Experience: 3 months left! I hit 4 years on May 30 🙂

law0915
    Participant

I wonder has anyone tried the FEMA and Frederick community college route? I need to bang out 26 more random credit hours as I already have my 36/30 hours of upper accounting in undergrad. My state board keeps saying they have the certification committee review the application for certification and that they can't pre-approve anything. The certification committee meets and then makes a recommendation to the board about whether to grant a license or not. They wouldn't even review my accounting credits. As long as the credits are transferred to a transcript I don't know why they would deny me if I have the accounting and related business hours completed already.

REG 77 Feb14
    BEC 13*, 79 Aug14
    FAR 64**, 76 Nov14
    AUD 89 Feb15

*Exited exam after first testlet
    **Only studied F1-F6 out of 10 Becker chapters

Licensed Arizona CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

im going to take ucla extension classes online but they are very pricey and only worth quarterly credits. anyone else take these classes or any others they would recommend?

melonbread
    Participant

I applied for my license last week and the state board told me I need just one more credit to achieve 150. I thought I had them all 🙁

So I was wondering what I can do then found this thread.

I already applied for the covers ion of the EMI credit but does anyone who tried FEMA and Frederick remember how long it took to have the transcript processed?
    I know it says 4weeks but I want it to be processed ASAP!!

TommyTheCat
    Participant

i am planning to go the CLEP route as well, other than the Ethics in Accounting course which I plan to take at a local community college via their online option. I have all the accounting and business unit requisites met, just need 18 more dang units in whatever area.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
    Kyle
    Participant

I'm in the same boat…just applied to the state board and was told I only have 147 due to a quarter to semester credit hour conversion. It couldn't have come at a worse time as I'm going into busy season…

lupisss
    Participant

Melonbread, can you update on your college credits thru FEMA? did you get your credits? did the Board accept them? Thanks!

melonbread
    Participant

@lupisss
    Hi! It worked for my license in WA state.
    It was so easy and cheap.
    They told me it would take a month but it only took around 2 weeks in my case.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just make sure you have the required accounting hours, some of them could be iffy depending on where you went to school. Once you are sure about that then literally take the easiest classes possible. I like to check ratemyprofessor to make sure I am getting an easy teacher also.

lupisss
    Participant

Thanks so much! I am taking some FEMA courses now and yes, they are soooo easy. I have the required accounting credits (I assume per my transcript, but let's see what CA Board says)

CPA50
    Participant

Any updates to this thread?

I petitioned the Cal Board for 18 classes (not credits, but classes) and they denied them all.

So, I need ONE semester unit more of ethics, and 3 2/3 semester units of business-related subjects. (4 2/3 semesters or 7 quarter units total)

Since I'm a CFE, I thought I could just pound out one (or two) online fraud examination/forensic accounting classes.
    I took one already at Foothill College, so I can't take it again.
    Anybody see some quick online fraud classes?

If I don't get this done by March, the CBA will claim my application to be “abandoned” and will make me reapply for another $250.00!
    Geez. Can this nightmare ever end?

AUD - 80
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 80
    REG - 80
    3 years

+ 16 tests

+ 2 expired sections

= DONE FOREVER!

AUD 88 (expired), 80 retake
    FAR 64,69,67,73,67,73,73,73, August 3
    REG 75 (expired) September 7
    BEC 72, 77

The adventure continues...

TommyTheCat
    Participant

i was unable to go the CLEP route like I hoped so I am doing foothill online courses right now. The ethics class takes some time so far but is fair. I am also taking Excel and Quickbooks classes and they are friggin cake if you know both of these applications decently well.

To show you how easy i expect these classes to be I am taking 3 courses from 1/8 – 3/30 and also doing a full busy season for tax.

AUD - 85
    BEC - 89
    FAR - 91
    REG - 97
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.