Where do I start? Texas CPA license

• Creator
    Topic
    Tati
    Participant

Hello,

I have finally decided it’s time for me to take the CPA exam, but after doing some research, I am completely overwhelmed with the process. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to start. I will be getting licensed in TX.

I know I have to submit an application of intent, but I’m not sure what to do next. I know there will also be a NTS, but is that something that I need to apply after I have submitted my application of intent? Is there a time limit to apply for an NTS?

I plan to start a CPA review course in a month or 2, but I am so confused about the timelines.

Does anyone have any advice/help?

Thanks!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    monikernc
    Participant

You can start by reading the statutes https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=4&ti=22&pt=22&ch=511
    available on the TX Board’s website https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=4&ti=22&pt=22&ch=511
    Then you can email your questions to: executive@tsbpa.texas.gov

TX CPA License process in a nutshell: First you have to meet the education requirements, then apply to take the exams. Then apply for a NTS to take each exam. Then once all exams have been passed and you meet the education and ethics requirements, you apply for a license.
    For the gritty details follow my advice above – read statutes then email the Board with any questions.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Road2CPA
    Participant

Yes, the application of intent is the first step. If you are eligible to sit for the exam, they will direct you from that point. The Texas board will be the ones to issue your NTS once they determine you are eligible.

I live in Texas, but I am actually sitting for the exam through Arkansas. Texas would not accept about 3 of my classes from the university that I graduated from in Arkansas. I figured it would be easier to just get licensed through Arkansas then apply for reciprocity in Texas to transfer my license.

Many people run into issues with Texas accepting courses. If you run into issues, remember that you can always apply and get licensed through any state in which you meet all the eligibility requirements.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 75
    REG - 75
    Great things never come from comfort zones - Roy T. Bennett
    monikernc
    Participant

I got licensed in Montana and now waiting for a reciprocity decision from Colorado because CO required at least one specific course I did not have or want to take. You gotta live substantial equivalency!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!

monikernc
    Participant

If I could I would change live to love….

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!

Beth
    Participant

Road2CPA, I am in a similar boat. I do not meet all of the Texas licensing requirements based on specific courses from my Louisiana university. Have you already applied to a reciprocal license in Texas? If so, would you mind sharing your experience with the process?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 79
    REG - 79
    Completed all 4 parts of the CPA Exam as of 03/17/2021.
    Road2CPA
    Participant

@Beth Perfect timing with your question. The Texas Board just received my application on Friday, 3/5/2021. I received an email confirmation on 3/10 that provided me with information on getting my fingerprints done at Identogo. I completed my fingerprints the next day, 3/11. As of today, I haven’t heard from them, but Identogo said that it can take up to 7 business days for the requesting location to receive my fingerprints electronically (I think it also includes a background check). In my email from 3/10, I was I informed that once the fingerprints are processed, they’d send a link to take their Rules of Professional Conduct exam (this is separate from the Ethics exam that you have to submit with the application).

I will try to remember to update you once I complete the process, but so far it seems like I won’t have any issues. If I don’t reply within the next 2 weeks, feel free to reply in order to remind me to provide an update.

Also, here’s a link to the reciprocal application process, if that helps you: https://www.tsbpa.texas.gov/forms/reciprocal-application.html

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 75
    REG - 75
    Road2CPA
    Participant

@Beth As of today, everything is complete. Apparently they had my fingerprints for almost 2 weeks until I reached out last Thursday and spoke with the person responsible for the reciprocal applications. Someone gave me her name and told me to call back and ask for her directly. Once I spoke with her, the next day she sent the Rules of Professional Conduct exam, which I completed that same day. This morning I received an email saying the application was complete with a license number and for me to login into my licensee portal to complete the license renewal application (which was just simply their way of collecting the annual licensing fee from me).

Overall, the process wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 75
    REG - 75
    Beth
    Participant

@Road2CPA Thank you SO much for all of this extremely helpful information! I spent quite a lot of time searching the internet trying to find some of these answers (especially about the Ethics and Professional Conduct exams) so your responses have been tremendously helpful. Congratulations on receiving your Texas license!

AUD - 79
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 79
    REG - 79
    Completed all 4 parts of the CPA Exam as of 03/17/2021.
    Road2CPA
    Participant

@Beth thank you so much, and you’re welcome! I think you won’t have any issues other than just checking up with them after the fingerprints. I would suggest following up after the 7 days instead of waiting the 14 days like I did. Again, if you have any questions along the way, just let me know.

And congratulations on recently completing the exam!

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 75
    REG - 75
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.