For those who rated Stronger on REG SIMS

• Creator
    Topic
    Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

I really need some insight from people who have done well on REG SIMS. I am not sure what I can change about my approach given that I passed AUD, BEC, and FAR in April, May, and Oct 2016 using the same method. My approach has been to exclusively answer MCQs for 5-6 wks then in the last 2-3wks split my time between MCQ’s and SIMS.

What is the key to putting it all together for this section? I used Becker to study and arranged my chapters in this order 3-4,1-2,6-8,5. Scored decent on practice tests and struggled to put it together for the SIMS but it felt like I could pass but I didn’t feel confident for any of my passes.

Eager to hear suggestions as I am open to anything, I just need a 75 so I can get my life back.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jagadalic
    Participant

A couple members recommended gleim for their sims. I used them to study during my last week and I believe they helped quite a bit. The layout is pretty much just like the exam.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 83
    REG - 85
    Keep on keeping on
    NeedsA75
    Participant

I used gleim and becker sims for REG, but when I scored my 92 I used Becker's almost exclusively.

Are you using the AL in your REG sims? I remember them throwing some random info in the sims that I was able to research in the AL and get a couple extra boxes correct.

TBH, the only exam I failed was my first REG attempt (74) and it was because I got excruciating sims and couldn't find the research question. The second REG exam felt I had very manageable sims.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    PETH - 92
    Licensed in California

Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

@needs a 75 I've never really been good at quickly finding stuff in the AL. Did you work SIMS as you were going through the MCQ's or did you leave them till the end or not work them at all.

NeedsA75
    Participant

I really focused on the sims during the one month I studied for my retake. I did all the Becker sims at least two times over. It was where I scored weaker and caused me to get a 74.

I did practice MC and reread the text as well, but my primary focus was working the sims day in and day out..

AUD - 96
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    PETH - 92
    Licensed in California

gigabyte2001
    Participant

I'm 6 for 6 exams with Gleim. Both parts of the CMA and all 4 parts of the CPA and all passed on the first try. I follow the program they lay out but I give myself PLENTY of time to do it, about 3 months per test with at least a long weekend break somewhere in the middle and including a week more to review than they recommend. Gleim's SIMS are virtually identical to the exam – including the research question. If you know SIMS are your weak area, doing all of the Gleim sims should help.

Now some things that I know about myself that help me:

1. I don't get test anxiety. I get nervous & worried ahead of the test, but I don't freeze up at test time.
    2. On every section, I go through and answer everything I know immediately that doesn't require any time then I go back through and answer the ones that I know but take more time and so on & so on. That maximizes possible points and keeps me from wasting time hung up on something while not answering easy questions.
    3. For SIMS – I'm really good at finding the answer to the research question quickly so I always do that first then apply the method in #2 above.
    4. I've always been a fast reader/test taker. This is a double edged sword. I read fast enough that sometimes I miss a KEY word (like: NOT or False.) But it also keeps me from running out of time. This also got me in trouble with teachers in school ALOT.
    5. I always take a break before SIMS. Usually just a few minutes – go to the bathroom or whatever, but enough to “reset” my brain & stretch my legs.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 82
    REG - 93

B - 11/11/16
    A - 4/16/16 87!!
    R - 2/17/17
    F - 7/26/16 - Waiting for 8/23

tlkdrty2m3
    Participant

I barely passed REG when in all honestly I probably shouldn't have, and my diagnostic report said that I did weaker at MC and stronger at TBS. I think I lucked out with TBS in that they were mostly involving individual taxation (individuals, self-proprietorships, etc.). They were so easy that I think I even thought “did I do that horribly on the MCQ to where they gave me crazy easy sims?” I would just recommend doing individual taxation sims over and over again. Those happened to be the sims that I focused on while I was studying and it showed up a lot on my particular exam.

tlkdrty2m3
    Participant

^ OH and yeah, the AL being available definitely helped me look up stuff that I had forgotten. You just have to know how to search it and use the right wording

Goingallin
    Participant

i have no idea how I scored strong on sim but I did. You heard me talking about how I screwed up on two sims. I was lucky to get a bunch of sim similar to what was on Becker. Same type of questions with different numbers. I practiced Becker sim three times before the exam. The questions were a lot easier than sim from other sections and think had I not rushed through the questions I would've scored in the 90s. I definitely missed huge points on two sims due to very stupid mistakes. Those two were the easiest out of the 6. Perhaps that's why i overlooked it. The new format is unknown but if I'm basing on previous experience, I would say to practice sim as you did on the mc. Good luck.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 75
    REG - 82
    donotgiveup!!
    Moeshow
    Participant

I got stronger on sims, and to be honest, I rarely practiced them. I mainly focused on the MCQs but each person is different. On FAR I practiced them a ton and didn't do as hot but on AUD and REG I rarely did and did way better on the SIMs. I only used Roger CPA Review. I never timed myself or did any practice exams. I just kept going thru the MCQs after I went through the material. The timing I felt wasn't really an issue if you knew the material. But, as I said, each person is different. Just use the method you think works best for you. Got an 86 on REG

BEC - PASSED 2016
    FAR - PASSED 2016
    AUD - PASSED 2016
    REG - PASSED 2017

Roger CPA review

BEC 2/26/2016 81
    FAR 05/2016

Purely Roger CPA Review, for now!

RE2PECT
    Participant

I don't get a score report when I pass, but I used Gleim for my retake and I'm sure that's why I passed. Like others have said, their sims and AL look identical to the exam and they are just as hard if not harder.

Someone also mentioned taking a break before the sims and I totally agree. I didn't do it for all my exams because of time constraints, but your brain needs a quick reset. I'd suggest leaving yourself around 90 minutes for the sims, especially if you plan on searching the AL. I'd also get familiar with the AL and where to find some of the more important topics like basis and distributions for corps and partnerships.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Roger & Ninja

FAR: 75
    AUD: 73, 81
    BEC: 71, 73, 82
    REG: 68, 82

FAR: 75 Roger & Ninja (notes/flashcards/audio/MCQ)
    AUD: 73, 81
    BEC: 71, retake 8/29
    REG:

Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

Thanks for all your replies. I guess Im just down on myself because I really wanted to be done with this test and the assholes that grade the test had other ideas. This test is a complete crapshoot I know. I did nothing different from the times I passed AUD BEC and FAR consecutively, but now on my last test I have a problem. Guess its another 2 months of isolation studying for this dumbass test that proves nothing about your actual work abilities since Ive been working in accounting since 2004 w/o a cpa… But I guess Im just soar grapes because they failed me again, even though I should be finished!!!!!!

I missed Reg the first two times I took it and for the third one, I did the SIMS almost exclusively because I'd seen the MCQ so many times. Honestly, I think doing the SIMS thoroughly and actually putting full effort into getting every question on every SIM correct, really made the MCQ alooooooooooooooooooot easier. Because the SIMS get into nitty gritties and the MCQ kind of ask on the broad concept of a certain topic. Just keep hammering SIMS and like others suggested, maybe check out GLEIM. Just need as much exposure to as many different questions as you can.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 81
    REG - 75
    Happily Finished

FAR - Aug 2015 (58), Feb 2016 (81)
    u
    BEC - May 2016 (79)
    AUD - Jul 2016
    REG - Aug 2016

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.