Passed REG on 3rd attempt and finally cracked the CPA!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s exciting news that I share with you all that I am finally done with REG and the CPA exam. What started as a distant dream, about a year ago, is now a reality, an accomplishment. After two failed attempts at REG (63 and 72), I thought I’d never pass this exam. I was so scared of checking my score that I asked my wife to do it for me. I didn’t log on to this website or nasba to even care score release date/time. My wife woke me up around midnight to break the news that I passed. Best news ever!

For me REG was the hardest of all. I am an IT Auditor by profession and not even remotely close to taxes. I passed the rest on the first attempt except for REG. Sims were brutal in all three attempts. For my second attempt, I supplemented Ninja MCQs and came a little close to passing score. For my third attempt, I added Ninja audio and Ninja notes. And that made the difference. I took the notes every where and listened to the audio whenever I had a chance.

I am so glad I am done with this journey. I want to thank you all for the support especially my wife. It was no easy task for her to take care of our naughty 2 yr old son, attend college and support me through this journey.

For those struggling, don’t give up. You can do it!!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Last Chance CPA
    Participant

@Cracked – Congrats on finishing up. I am on attempt #5. So any advice would be appreciated. Attempt #1-4 – I used Wiley CPAExcel, WTB, Ninja Notes/Audio, and Ninja MCQ. And that wasn't enough, so now I am using Gleim TB/SIMs. I have scored 66, 62, 65,and 69.

Here is my last report with the 69 score:

-Ethics – Stronger (same on the other attempts)

-Blaw – Comparable (same on the other attempts)

-Federal Tax Process – Stronger (last two attempts)

-Property Transactions – Comparable (2 weaker, 2 comparable)

-Individual Taxation – Weaker (all 4 attempts)

-Entities Taxation – Comparable (weaker all other attempts)

-MCQs – Comparable (weaker all other attempts)

-SIMs – Weaker (all 4 attempts)

So it is taxation, and specifically individual/entities taxation that's killing me. I would hate to think that one little area will define my entire CPA journey. And looking at my progression reports on other exams, chances are bleak I pass this exam. FAR expires in July, and I won't continue if I fail again…please help!!!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76
    I want those initials next to my name!!!!

FAR - 76
    AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    REG - 76

Now I need some experience!!! And some networking...

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ LastChanceCPA – Thanks! You are really close to finishing and you can do this. What material are you currently using? It seems you've had a variety of different materials and that might be over whelming? For my first attempt I used Becker and that wasn't enough. I supplemented with the Wiley book and my strategy was to read all the tax portion and do the practice questions in the book. At this point I didn't take any notes. There were instances where if something didn't make sense, I'd jump to the Becker book to clarify. Also, for my second and third attempt, the material seemed to make more sense. Ironically, for my first two attempts I was weaker in simulations (meh!) and blaw. For the third attempt, I read business law section cover to cover and had a good grasp of the material. I think that must have made a difference.

With your current scores, it seems you definitely need to put a little more effort than your other exams (It was the same for me). Read the book, get an understanding of the material, listen to Ninja audio at your free time, do mcq's whenever you can. If you feel you have memorized the answers, then it might be better you get fresh material.

I am sure you can do this. Good luck!

Last Chance CPA
    Participant

I have switched to Gleim TB and SIMs, with Gleim book. Gleim book has a lot of MCQs and SIMs as well…

AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76

FAR - 76
    AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    REG - 76

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everone! I'm currently preparing for REG using Wiley (just the book). I plan on purchasing Wiley's test bank questions once I'm through the material in the book to prepare. The questions and simulations in the Wiley book are not too challenging and from what you guys are saying, the actual Sims on the exam are extremely difficult. Did anyone prepare with the same materials I'm using and was it enough? I don't want to drop another $500 to use Becker. I don't think I have the time for it anyway. But I have a feeling their Sim questions might be better than Wiley's. Please help me!

Carolyn – The NINJA questions are good and very similar to Becker. They only cost $47 which is equivalent to a cheap dinner and a bad movie! Well worth the spend. I don't beleive you can get through it with just the book.

AUD - 90
    FAR - 71, 76
    REG - 75
    BEC - 76 (bubble sucks)

Becker + Ninja MCQ's

Last Chance CPA
    Participant

Carolyn_CPA_2015 – I am in desperation mode and am switching from WTB/Ninja MCQ to Gleim. However, with Gleim, I am finding the MCQs to be unnecessarily difficult, and SIMs to be slightly easier than the actual exam.

This is my 5th attempt so I know the “lay of the land” with REG. I would go with Ninja MCQ unless you are looking to exactly replicate exam time environment, then I would look at Gleim TB. Either way, I would invest in Ninja Audio and/or Notes.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76

FAR - 76
    AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    REG - 76

Skynet
    Participant

Last Chance CPA – 5th time will be the charm for you. I'm rooting for you.

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

Last Chance CPA
    Participant

Thanks Skynet. I think both Scarlett J and Megan Fox are 30 now. You better hurry up and pass the CPA exams! I let go of Salma Hayek years ago…lol.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76

FAR - 76
    AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    REG - 76

Skynet
    Participant

Last Chance CPA – That's OK. 30 is the new 20 : )

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Last Chance CPA and Vern! That's a relief to hear I won't have to spend a ton of money to be prepared. So the Ninja Sim Questions are pretty reflective of the actual exam Sims?

At Last Chance CPA: your scores are unbelievable! You're almost at the finish line. I'm so jealous!

Last Chance CPA
    Participant

Not so much Carolyn. It is my last chance before FAR expires and then I am calling it quits. The CPA is a bonus for me. Last 4 of 5 exams, I have received scores in the 60s (all REG). Before that, I scored in the 60s only once in the first 6 exams (FAR). I spend more time wondering what exactly happened than studying for this stupid exam. I am pissed off…

I think Ninja SIMs are great but Gleim seems to mirror the exam better…

AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 76

FAR - 76
    AUD - 75
    BEC - 75
    REG - 76

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.