Retaking REG for the FIFTH time?

• Creator
    Topic
    Panda Love

I have taken REG four times now and I’m really frustrated. i have used Becker to review but i feel like i need to change things a bit. Any recommendations, suggestions?? I am retaking it on OCT 1 and i feel like an idiot now. My main problem is always simulations. i always score weaker than other people that take this exam. I am done reviewing for this exam since last month but unfortunately i was not able to take it last window because i got my NTS too late. Now I am studying for BEC and plan on going back to REG in two weeks just tow refresh my memory. As i said any suggestions will be highly appreciated, thanks.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    LKD CPA

Hi hopeful.future.CPA, when I sat for REG I put a LOT of focus on the tax forms (mainly because the idea of them terrified me). I did the whole gamut – 1040, K-1 (S-1, M-1, M-3) All the schedules, etc. While you don't need to memorize the forms, you do need to know which numbers go where and most importantly WHY! Do you feel you have one content area that is weaker than the others?

FAR: 74, 83
    REG: 76
    BEC: 77
    AUD: 89

Participant

more MCQs. keep a notebook with how to solve all the ones you got wrong. study them.

BEC - ✔
    REG - ✔
    AUD - ✔
    FAR - 11/29/14

CPAExcel, Ninja MCQs, and a sh*t ton of coffee

Panda Love

Thanks for the advice guys. I have done tons of MCQs but when it comes to simulations i kinda freeze. i guess my weaker area is that and need to practice more complex problems when theres more than one concept involved that confesses that crap out me. LKD i will take your advice on the tax forms because i do sometimes forget what goes where.

Thanks again guys!

Tux

I would supplement with another test bank.

You're probably familiar with all of the MCQ's and SIMS in your software by now.

Get some fresh practice questions – either Wiley or Ninja MCQ.

FAR - 86 - 2/27/14
    AUD - 75 - 5/29/14
    BEC - 80 - 8/31/14
    REG - 89 - 2/27/15
    Praise Jesus! I'm done!!

Study resources:
    Becker
    Wiley test bank

Amay

Have you passed any other parts like FAR? It may be time to switch gears. After BEC, why don't you try FAR and then give REG another try?

BEC: 73, 81
    AUD: 85
    FAR: 71, 77
    REG: 74, 75...finally DONE! 😀

*This is my 2nd attempt at the CPA exam. For all of you who have failed this exam many times, given up on it, or taken a break like me, remember that it is still possible to finish what you started...failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently 🙂

Participant

what @Tux said, that.

I realized that I was memorizing the CPAExcel questions. So for every exam, I buy the NInja MCQs and bounce back & forth.

I honestly feel like that is what has allowed me to pass REG because I was about 100-150 pages behind on my material when I decided to just jump into MCQs the week before… and it worked, got a 75.

here's the thread I started when I was cramming for REG, might find some insight here:

https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/topic/looking-for-some-advice-need-a-miracle-very-short-on-study-time

BEC - ✔
    REG - ✔
    AUD - ✔
    FAR - 11/29/14

CPAExcel, Ninja MCQs, and a sh*t ton of coffee

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was the same way with the SIMS! I would rock the MCQ's but score weaker in the SIMS. I took REG 3 times..I finally passed on my 3rd attempt. What helped me do better with the SIMS is find out what it is asking, work each fill in the blank out like a MCQ, put your answer in the blank, and leave it alone!… You won't have choices so you have to go with your answer that you work out. My problem was self doubt.I would always convince myself that my answer was somehow wrong because there are no options to choose from and start changing things.

Kimboroni

Are you using the AL for the sims? And leaving enough time to do the sims (by not getting stuck on MCQs that sap up your time)? Both of those should really help.

Ditto to studying the tax forms. Understanding their flow really helps.

AUD 84 (1/9/14-Wiley books/TB + free materials)
    FAR 83 (5/21/14-the above + NINJA 10 Pt Combo Lite)
    REG 84 (7/9/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC/Notes)
    BEC 76 (10/5/14-Wiley books/TB + NINJA Audio/FC)

Disclaimer: My ninja avatar is not meant to imply that I have any affiliation with this site other than being a forum member. That's a pic of a T-shirt that my daughter gave me for my birthday. 🙂

kingG

Same here! I have taken reg 4 times already getting 71 for the last three times. I did well on the MCQs but always weaker on sims. I just feel like I dont understand the sim questions very well most of the time and had a hard time finding the AL. If I dont pass this time it's gonna be my 5th try on Oct 1.

BEC 78!!! 10/29/2013
    REG Scheduled on 12/03/2013
    AUD
    FAR

mikiluv

Hey@KingG, what study materials are you using? I'm using Becker and still scoring in the 60s after 4 tries.

Thinking about adding ninja

Panda Love

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I have been stuck with REG and haven't really study for the other parts much because i feel like i'm so close to pass i just need to get this over with. My scores have been 63, 72, 66, 73.

I thought i had passed the exam on my 3rd try so i was shocking to see the 66.

@Kimboroni
    i always leave an 1 to 1 1/2 hr for sims but i just don't seem to get them right. I get stuck and and end up running out time always leaving one sim almost empty with no answers.

@ king I am retaking this crap on OCT 1 as well hopefully is our last one, good luck to you.

Thank you again guys.

kingG

@mikiluv I'm using becker, wiley test bank and ninja notes.

@hopeful.future.cpa ahhhhhh….72 this time….errrrrrr…. I dont know what to say now!

I guess I will just wait to see what my weaker areas are for this time.

BEC 78!!! 10/29/2013
    REG Scheduled on 12/03/2013
    AUD
    FAR

lsutigers03
    Participant

I took AUD 5 times and BEC 6 times. Use the Ninja MCQ that's what helped me pass.

REG - 78
    BEC - 74, 67, 69, 69, 70, 79
    FAR - 76
    AUD - 69, 69, 69, 74, 85

Licensed Louisiana CPA

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.