Need motivation - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    alpal617
    Participant

Okay I’m gonna vent here because I feel so dejected about this test. I’ve been studying since early 2017 (so over 2 years now) and am approaching senior at a Big 4. I tried to pass before I started working, but was unable to despite studying many hours per day. So I’ve had the super fun (not) experience of studying while working full time. I’ve finally managed to pass Audit and FAR (after multiple, multiple attempts), and just found out I’ve failed REG again for the third time. I used to be so full of hope but I’ve entered into this awful state of mind where I am so depressed about this test and about myself. I’m currently trying to get a LOA to study since my REG scores are just getting worse, but my company is making it super difficult for me and saying that it’s not allowed, which I can’t understand. I’ve entered into this state where I just feel so bleak all the time and I’m just so burned out. But every time I try and take a break I’m haunted by this fear that my tests will start to expire before I can pass all of them. I’ve gotten so sensitive- any time I hear about someone passing a test like the CPA or the BAR I legitimately get so angry and want to throw things (and I’m not an especially angry person). I used to vent about the test to my friends but now it’s just embarrassing because it’s literally been over two years of having this conversation and being stuck in this cage. And thinking about studying on top of being a senior makes me lose sleep at night. I can’t even relax anymore and I’m always so down and so angry. But I’m a super perfectionist so I’ll never live with myself if I give up, especially after passing two parts which took me so much time. Sorry for blabbing but I just need to vent. Any advice/ words of encouragement?

"The harder you work for something, the greater you'll feel when you achieve it"

AUD: 72, 77

BEC: 78

FAR: 61, 72, 76

REG: 71, 68, 63, 80

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Me.
    Participant

Hello Alpal617, I understand your frustration, I spent 5 years and about 20 exams to finally pass in 2018, I took me 4 times to pass REG and then I lost it trying to pass the others. I don't think my family thought I was going to pass! When I first started the exams I was working on my Masters, working full-time and just wasn't a good combo for me. I decided I wasn't going to let the exam win! For me copious amounts of MCQ's worked and if I had a weak area I would read the book on the subject as I found there would be information in the book not on the MCQ's but on the exam.(I didn't take notes I just read the material). I started with Gleim then moved on to Wiley. To be honest I found Ninja MCQ's to be the best value. For FAR it was also copious amounts of MCQ's and I would read the book on the weak areas and review journal entries if applicable. Also in the final year of sitting for exams I realized if I took an evening off from studying to go to the movies or eat out it wasn't going to keep me from passing, I think I needed those mental breaks. Getting that final passing score is really an amazing feeling! I think I would have regretted it if I had not continued. Just realize it is a journey of perseverance. I know at least 5 people who gave up after trying the CPA and now regret it. It was definitely worth it for me both personally and professionally. I was working Government which required a CPA for promotion but it was a toxic environment and needed to leave. I moved states and was able to land a position with a 15k increase in salary thanks to the CPA. And no one asks you how many times you sat for exams…Another 71 is a great forum. I know that it also was helpful for me. I hope this gives you some encouragement and know that it is really more of a test of perseverance. Best wishes!

REG - 50, 64, 73, 76
    FAR - 67, 65, 67 Ugh!!!
    BEC - 65
    AUD - November 30

"You just can't beat the person who never gives up." -Babe Ruth

Jodie
    Participant

I totally agree with 74phoenix, if anyone who doesn't want to encourage us here, please leave us alone, no need to put us down further. Some people are smarter than others in absorbing materials, it's the fact. people like me are slower. We might have to read a page 10x in order to understand. So what? but we need some fighting spirit and encouragement to continue the battle. Yes, half the brain or 1/4 the brain, doesn't matter as long as we have support around us to fight this exam. That's why we are here, to support each other.

Better Late Than Never!

Jimmy Dugan
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I read one of your comments above where you talked about not needing to get into every nuance of the lectures like you have been. This X 1000. Since you've already studied a lot, spend almost all of your time doing MCQ's and sims. If you don't have Ninja, I would pay the monthly fee and get it until you pass. Use the test bank and build up a couple hundred questions, then use the reports to find out where your weak areas are. Study those areas like hell. I promise, you can pass.

AUD - 95
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 84
    REG - 90
    You're killing me Smalls

alpal617
    Participant

Thank you everyone for the uplifting responses. I've read through everyone's advice thoroughly and it's so so helpful. I'm so appreciative for this forum because this is honestly the support that I (and everyone else) needs to pass the exam. After taking a couple weeks off I actually feel so much more rested and motivated. I'm gonna utilize the advice I read here and pray for the best 🙂

"The harder you work for something, the greater you'll feel when you achieve it"

lurking_CPA
    Participant

Alpal – It took me more tries than you over 4 years overall to pass. The first year I had a NTS with every section and dramatically bombed all 4 in a row and gave up outright on the exam for a whole year. The 3rd year i kicked it into high gear and passed by year 4, but my family and friends doubted me too because it seemed like for a big chunk of my adult like all i was doing is “studying” and failing.

I realized what my problem was never developing good study habits in college. I was always able to “cram” or find shortcuts to getting good grades. The CPA exam experience was awful, but a great humbling experience which finally taught me “how to study”.

Not everybody's individual CPA journey is a straight-line, but guaranteed when you figure it out and finish up by any means possible – third best life event after the birth of my son and marrying my wife LOL

AUD - 85
    BEC - 85
    FAR - 76
    REG - 75
    FAR  - 67, 47, 60, 76
    REG - 55, 56, 75
    AUD - 59, 73, 85
    BEC - 63, 74, 85

Ethics - 92

Tncincy
    Participant

@Lurking_CPA, I appreciate your comments. I have been trying for a while to pass the cpa exam. The part that is so true is spending so much time studying and failing, and family and friends doubting my competency. When I turn down gatherings, lunches, and coffee dates they kinda say stuff like: “you sure you will make a good CPA, if you ever pass? It can't be that hard.” They don't know what this exam entails and the commitment involved. I sometimes wonder if they will they be happy for me when I finally pass. I am going to pass, it's a lonely road, but I am going to pass. I am also making myself study and stop looking for short cuts. I have found too many times that it is too much information to simply cram. I hope Alpal stick with it and anyone else needing motivation. This forum is really a good place to be when needing motivation. Yes, you get comments from those that seem to have it all together, but some of us need a little more or an extra push of you can do it.
    Keep studying hard everyone.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

jombe
    Participant

If what you guys want is sugar-coated encouragement that doesn't address the actual issue behind why you guys are not passing, please let me know upfront. Didn't realize there were this many people on this forum who would get offended at “this isn't rocket science” comment.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96
    --------------------------------------------
    Done with exam. On with life.

FAR - 94 (10/4/15), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    AUD - 99 (1/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    REG - 96 (4/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    BEC - 91 (7/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ

581 days of listening to lectures, reading texts & 10,000+ MCQs...

Jimmy Dugan
    Participant

Wholeheartedly agree with @Jombe

Nobody insulted anybody. There is a difference between saying someone is stupid and saying this isn't rocket science and the individual may be taking the wrong approach to studying. The latter isn't insulting, it's just the truth. It's good to have some “oh gosh I'm sooooo sorry” every once in awhile to pick you up, but it's also a good idea to get some insight from someone that's been successful on the exam, something you can yourself use to be successful on the exam.

AUD - 95
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 84
    REG - 90
    You're killing me Smalls

TommyL
    Participant

Some people respond better to tough love, some don't. It's always good to have a mixture of both in the forums!

AUD - 81
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 78
    REG - 86
    Goals
    Tncincy
    Participant

I appreciate sincere helpful encouragement. Yes, judgement is necessary to get it in gear to pass. But failing doesn't and won't ever feel good. Am I looking for feel good on the forum? No. I am doing what I know to pass and am looking for a better or different way when I don't pass. I am not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me because at the end of the day I must study if I'm going to pass. What's wrong with keep going? or try again? It helps too. By no means am I or anyone on this forum an IDIOT. We can read, we will study and we will pass. Maybe it's easier for some than others, but it is nothing wrong with encouragement to try it again.
    Please don't start a senseless word war. We don't need it.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

I believe that if a person really wants something so badly, they will find a way to conquer it. Becoming a CPA has always my dream since I received my first undergraduate degree from the Philippines in 1985; I was 19 years then.

Now that I'm in my early 50's, it hasn't changed much; I am still pursuing it, not only the US CPA designation but my Canadian and Filipino CPA designations as well.

So, I'm currently back to school, trying to get my Canadian BBA-Accounting undergraduate degree from a reputable Canadian college. Also, at the same time, using Wiley for MCQs/Sims test bank, and Becker textbooks; I am scheduled to write next month for my BEC.

Finally, some of us have different priorities and becoming a CPA is not an easy task; I am one living proof of that. However, our motivation will get us through; how badly do we want it. I am a “die-hard” type of person; to live until 100yrs is a long journey, I might as well get my long-term dream of becoming a CPA!:)

AUD - 49
    BEC - NINJA in Training
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 55
    Passed: AUD (75%'08/77%'17), REG (76%'09) & BLaw(77%'99); highest on FAR (63%'11/'15) & BEC (63%'11). Credit Hours: USA(PH)-BCom'85(4yr-grandfathered); UBC-(DAP'02/'19); DC-(BBA-Acctg.'22-4th yr)=over 150 hrs credits
    jeff
    Keymaster

I shared this on facebook…several people left some encouraging feedback:

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    B4BeanCounter
    Participant

Every time I feel discouraged, I just look at the quote I have in my signature!

AUD - 86
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 87
    REG - 84
    "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want badly enough." - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture.
    alpal617
    Participant

@jeff- thanks for sharing! The encouragement is so helpful.

@Tncincy- totally agree with you!

@B4BeanCounter- Great quote I like that a lot 🙂

Tommy
    Participant

Alpal617 I used a program other than Ninja when I started in Feb 2018 and failed FAR Q2 2018 the first time I took it, however after implementing the Ninja strategy and utilizing Jeff's materials I did a retake on FAR Q3 2018 and passed then went on to pass REG in Q3 2018, and both AUD and BEC in Q4 2018. I have always worked in the private sector never in public accounting and before starting Jeff's program my last college course was 8 years prior. I would suggest as someone above stated, do the monthly subscription with Jeff it is well worth it, as I stated I have used other programs but did not pass until I used Jeff's. I look forward to seeing you post in here that you passed, please keep us posted.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 82
    T. Caveney
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.