REG test experience 2018

• Creator
    Topic
    Sandy
    Participant

I just finished my REG test today.
    I was glad that I read a lot of posts about REG test experience so that I feel more prepared than my first test ( BEC)

I don’t have any tax background and never took any tax or business law classes so this is the hardest test for me. I used Wiley CPA review at first but found it hard to understand. Then I switch to Roger CPA, and it was awesome. Roger has an amazing way to explain things.

I recommend doing lots of SIMs to get familiar with the tax forms and DRS questions. This test is about familiarity and the more SIMs you do, the easier you found the number you need to answer the questions.

About MCQs, the first testlet is like a breeze. (comparing to GLEIM) There’s only one business law and one ethics.
    But the second testlet is harder. There are at least 5 business laws and 5 ethics and tax administration/ authority related questions.

The SIMS are complex. There are 4 DRS, each contains 8~10 documents to review and there are extensive SIMs ( with 5 documents and you have to type in the numbers)

And I am glad I insisted on digging through business laws, there are at least 8 questions on the exam.

When I walked out of the test center, I still can put myself together and remembered to put my ID back in my wallet and grabbed my jacket. Thanks for lots of good advice and experience from others.

When I took my first test (BEC), after the test, I was feeling frustrated and lost. I even forgot where I put my ID and had to apply for a new one.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gugu
    Participant

Hi Sophie,
    I am happy that this time you came out of the exam composed and intact. How was your time management? How many hours to the testlets and in which area are the sims focusing?

Be positive-ALWAYS!
    Bourne
    Participant

Gugu – trying to get specific info on sims is irrelevant. The odds of you having the same exam or even 50% of the same sims as someone else on this forum are very slim. One key; if you see info regarding specifics of an exam, do not rely on that info for your studying as you will more than likely not have the same questions and will be wasting your time. Good luck to both of you!

AUD- 82
    REG- 86
    FAR- 86
    BEC- 88
    Katie
    Participant

@Gugu check out this thread. You may not have Becker, but this is a nice list of possible SIM topics based on “Analysis” level topics provided by the AICPA.

Potential REG SIM Topics from the AICPA

AUD - 91

BEC - 4/21/18

FAR - 90

REG - 80

Sandy
    Participant

@Gugu
    I spent 30 mins on the first testlet
    45 min on the second
    45 min on the third
    60 min on the forth
    60 min n the fifth.

The guideline lentilcounter post is very close to SIMs topics.
    Btw, I wish I had spent more time looking at IRA and related rules.

famh110
    Participant

Sounds like it went well. Good luck Sophie! How many weeks did you spend preparing for it?

AUD - 75
    BEC - 77
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - NINJA in Training
    "The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today". (H Jackson Brown, Jr.)
    Sandy
    Participant

It took me a long time.
    Around six months to get through the materials and questions.
    But I also spent six month last year to take wiley online class and get credits so as to qualify for exam. Business law takes me forever.
    I still remember when my daughter was just born, needing to nurse all the time and I couldn't sleep well. I would listen to blaw lecture so as to put myself to sleep.

I am a stay home mom with a one year old.
    I probably spent about three to four hours a day to study during the week while the kid naps.
    Family time on the weekend.
    Everyone has different story.
    Just to find the best time arrangement for yourself.

Sweet
    Participant

The test was tough despite me spending 2 months studying for it with mainly Becker and Ninja MCQ.
    The research question was harder than I thought I wasn't really sure I got it right.
    Time Spent on each testlet:
    45 mins on MCQ 1
    40 mins on MCQ 2
    The remaining on Sims and I had just about enough time to finish and go through each sim twice at least.

Recked
    Participant

Took REG today. Note: I have 15 years experience in tax.
    This exam felt overall pretty easy to me. Much better than FAR and AUD.
    The information tested seemed to be at an elementary level.
    I am sure I got some of the MCQs wrong, and some of the SIM stuff, but I am feeling pretty confident about this one.

My SIMs were not overly complicated or complex. They felt more like extended MCQs.
    Some had multiple documents etc, but it felt nothing like the FAR sims.
    I guess its all luck of the draw.

I think I had 2:45 after the MCQs, 2:00 after the first 2 SIMs.
    Spent about an hour each on the last 2 testlets.
    I could have gone way faster but I did not want to have time left over.
    Used AL to try and firm up anything I had questions on.
    Could have spent longer in testlet 3, but was worried I would encounter some hard SIMs in 4 or 5.
    Had about 30 minutes left that I used to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.
    Made a couple foolish mistakes, but hind sight is 20/20.
    Keep on trucking.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ReckedRacing-3 down-sounds like this one went well for you! Good luck! When is score release for this window?

Go.For.Broke
    Participant

@Sophie Sounds like you were well prepared, and – based on your BEC score – your study methods are strong! I hope you passed! I didn't have any tax or business law experience either, so REG was the hardest exam for me as well. It took me several times to pass, but I made it out, finally, with a 77.

Good luck!

AUD - 77
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 78
    REG - 77
    Finished.  Praise be to the Almighty!
    Bourne
    Participant

Took REG today. Not near as many basis and gain/loss questions as I thought there'd be. Not nearly as many calculation questions at that. I don't feel too bad about the exam but definitely not as confident as I was for AUD. The instructions were fairly complicated for one sim. The sims themselves weren't all that bad, but I couldn't tell which one was pretest. I think I used the AL for nearly every sim and it definitely helped. I guess we'll see what happens on March 8th. Congrats to all those that have passed with today's score release!

AUD- 82
    REG- 86
    FAR- 86
    BEC- 88
    Recked
    Participant

Good luck Bourne!

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

MIsconnie
    Participant

Why do I get this gross feeling that I will get nothing but BLAW on my exam? BEC was nothing but IT, so I cant help but feel as though I am going to get the rotten version again. Anyone heard of this being a “thing” in Q1?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 92
    FAR - 82
    REG - 90
    Don't get nervous, you suck when you're nervous

Sandy
    Participant

You just never know what you will get.
    Business Law is actually easy points once you know the material.
    It's also fun to learn.
    And Blaw questions would cost you less than 30 seconds to answer because it doesn't require calculations.
    Same as IT questions in BEC. If you have seen those IT terms, you could probably answer them in 30 seconds.

I personally don't like Research questions.
    I spent the most time on that Research question ( among all the SIMs), but still got it wrong.
    When I practiced AICPA sample test, the research question is not easy.
    The level of difficulty of research question in the real exam is probably like that.

j_accountant
    Participant

Sophie,
    I think you recently completed FAR. Any tips on how you studied? I'm taking FAR first

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.