Time needed to study for REG exam

• Creator
    Topic
    CPAplayer
    Participant

Hi guys,

Actually this first time I’m writing here, just want to ask you. I’m planning to sit for REG exam this quarter (10th DEC), using Becker and full time job, if I start studying today, can I pass it?
    Note: I don’t have any background about taxes as I’m an international candidate.

Waiting for your recommendations guys.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

4 weeks is definitely pushing it, but I think it's possible if you can truly dedicate 20-25 hours per week of quality study time.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

Silent
    Participant

Have you ever taken tax class? Have minimum background in taxes? I would say 4-6 weeks is what is needed to be ready. However it's possible to learn enough to pass in 4 weeks. Just depends on a person and how quickly you can catch on. Your disadvantage will be that you probably have no law knowledge so you will need to learn that from scratch.

vbmer
    Participant

Yes, if you're disciplined, you can do it. Imo, the minimum amount of study time needed to pass REG is probably 80-100 hours, unless you have prior tax knowledge. REG is not a subject you can pass with a negative approach by understanding the concepts, unlike BEC, AUD, or even most of FAR.

Hit the books/videos hard, and hammer practice questions. If you need to go light in some areas due to time constraints, it's better to go light on business law than tax, although you should at least skim every section of business law. (watch/read once, do some MCQs) Every type of entity will be tested, and you need to actually know what's going on in individual, partnership, S-corp and C-corp taxes. For partnerships/S-corps, the most important concept is basis. For individual and C-corps, you basically need to know everything.

Regardless, since you're planning on taking it on the last day of the window, I would just take it and see how it goes regardless of if you feel ready or not. The only thing you have to lose is reapplication fees, and you could very well pass.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    Recked
    Participant

I think Gleim recommends 160-180 hours, Wiley I believe quoted me 140-160 hours. The AICPA says the average candidate will spend 400 hours, so maybe 100 hours will get you there.
    No tax experience I would target 150+.
    Yes, its possible in 4 weeks if you can study full time.
    I'd watch the videos and go straight to the MCQs and try to do at least 2000.
    Good luck!

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

aaronmo
    Participant

I think some of this depends on you…how you learn, your strengths, weaknesses, and background. For me…I did an 8 week prep and probably studied around 25+ hours a week for the tax part, and around 5-10 for the business law piece. I had a background in contracts, and anything legal comes easily to me. So, I probably put in around 120 total? I worked very hard on some parts…I did have a federal tax course, but it was no where near as thorough as the exam prep…and memorization is hard for me.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86
    Aaron and always remember, YMMV

I profit from your CPE frustration. You're welcome.

CPAplayer
    Participant

Thanks for your valuable comments guys, So I'm going to peat the REG exam and pass is this quarter

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.