[REG] Becker 2009 Materials for REG

• Creator
    Topic
    sd82
    Participant

Hi All,

I have the Becker 2009 Review materials for REG. Do you think this would be sufficient to take the exam in about 6 weeks or do you believe I will need the 2010 review materials? I feel like I can use the 2009 and update it myself with the revised figures for 2010.

Would the exam be testing 2010 information or 2009 (i.e., the amount of dependency exemption)?

Thanks very much in advance.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that you would be okay to use the 2009 materials. I used 2008 Becker materials to pass AUD, BEC, and REG in 2009 with no problems. Remember to check Becker's posted updates online to make sure that you aren't missing anything major.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you will be tested over the 2009 tax year amounts. However, focus more on the concepts and how to do the problems than memorizing exemption amounts. In my experience the test wasn't often looking for you to know specific exemption amounts, and if they were the amounts were usually given to you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My experience was similar to Bobbins. They don't really test on exemption amounts. The few in the book that are repeated over and over, such as the gift tax exclusion, are really the only ones you might need to know.

You should be fine to use the 2009 material and update it yourself from the material on Becker's website. They say you could be tested on either 2009 or 2010 amounts, but chances are you won't get many questions that require you to have those memorized.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only noticeable difference that I have noticed so far is the casualty loss deduct is now $500 instead of the $100 it has been forever. I got the 2009 materials and went through them and am in the 2010 live class now. The only other differences are normal upticks in the various amounts (rarely tested).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.