does REG eventually “click” like FAR and AUD

• Creator
    Topic
    Ralphie Dos Nachos
    Participant

I’ve started REG, my exam is March 10th. My tax class in college was an absolute joke so I’m really learning a lot of this stuff new. Using Becker, I’ve gotten through Modules 1-4 on Chapter 1 and there’s already been a ton of schedules, forms, rules to memorize that are overwhelming etc. and it seems like a lot to keep track of. Does everything eventually piece together as did FAR and AUD?

FAR - 76

AUD - 89

BEC - 84

REG - 86

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    12OatK
    Participant

Been studying for about a month and hasn't come close to “clicking” for me. The material in REG is so incredibly convoluted and unreasonable I truly question whether or not it is actually meant to be understood or if you are supposed to have a general grasp of it and get lucky guessing on the exam.

AUD - 41

BEC - 75

FAR - 76

REG - 34, No Show, No Show, 54

dyates1983
    Participant

I am about 2 weeks into Reg and was wondering the same thing. So far nothing has clicked for me. Hoping once I start reviewing the multiple choice it will start to click in.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 76
    REG - 79
    bigstakk
    Participant

For REG you really need to hammer MCQs to really get a grasp of how to apply the concepts. I wouldn’t neglect doing a bunch of SIMs as well though since those are tricky. It’s a manageable exam and more straight forward than FAR or AUD once you get a grasp on things. A good 5-6 weeks is enough to pass if you get quality study time. Good luck people.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 80
    REG - 82

Ethics Exam - 90%
    Licensed CPA in CA

WarEagle
    Participant

I'm not a tax guy but I remember REG eventually clicking for me. My advice would be to look over the tax forms/schedules. Once I did that a few times it started to click for me.

AUD - 86 6/8/18
    BEC - 86 12/6/17
    FAR - 89 10/6/17
    REG - 85 3/9/18

Cool
    Calm
    Kill it

vbmer
    Participant

REG is certainly more of a stamp collection exam than FAR or REG, which are pretty logical. I guess the trick with REG is that you don't actually have to remember that much. Just hit MCQs hard, and it'll come together.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 88
    FAR - 89
    REG - 80
    Manager, Big 4 Corporate Finance, CPA (WA)
    Lindsey_p87
    Participant

I say yes, but it didn't come together for me until the last week or so of my review when I was just doing hundreds of MCQ.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 86
    DONE

FAR - PASSED 11/14
    AUD - TBD
    BEC - TBD
    REG - First take 2/16

jombe
    Participant

REG is one of those things where you can't expect to make sense out of. It is what it is. If something doesn't make sense, memorize and move on.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 94
    REG - 96
    --------------------------------------------
    Done with exam. On with life.

FAR - 94 (10/4/15), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    AUD - 99 (1/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    REG - 96 (4/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ
    BEC - 91 (7/19/16), Local Prep Online Lectures, BISK & NINJA MCQ

581 days of listening to lectures, reading texts & 10,000+ MCQs...

David
    Participant

Currently studying for my 3rd retake of FAR after passing REG and finding some positivity in the fact that “FAR eventually clicked”. REG definitely clicks, just push through the material and do MCQ's it'll all come together!! 🙂

AUD - 82
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 79
    REG - 75
    “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11

aaronmo
    Participant

They're all different depending on your strengths, weaknesses, and background. I thought the main challenge of REG was memorization, not conceptual. The concepts behind FAR and Audit are more theoretical overall. I think if you got FAR and Audit down, Reg will fall in line too.

The contracts law stuff is concept, but I think you'll get it from MCQ and study. Never be afraid to google.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86
    Aaron and always remember, YMMV

I profit from your CPE frustration. You're welcome.

PC
    Participant

REG studying was the worst for me. Couldn't care less about the legal concepts, and you can't ‘accounting-logic' your way through them. Tax was just a new way of thinking…and again, no logic to the rules. I took way more time for REG prep than I had expected. I wouldn't say it ever really “clicked” I just did every MCQ available and pounded the Wiley forums with questions when I had them (which was all the damn time).

There is no education like adversity.

BEC – 85 (10/1/18)

AUD – 91 (12/10/18)

FAR – 92 (5/13/19)

REG – 87 (9/9/19)

lifofifo
    Participant

Even with a MST and working in public accounting, all of REG did not click for me. Sure, some bits are easier than others. Someone said it: look at the forms and imagine you are deep diving on that line item.

REG: 73, 76

AUD: 63, 61, 72, 78

FAR: 63, 73, TBD

BEC: 62, TBD

Fat Bastard, CPA
    Participant

it's all clicks but there is too much to memorize for me.

Fat Bastard, CPA LLC

"We count the calories, so you don't have to."

JM03
    Participant

It becomes a whole lot easier if you break it down by entity and look at the taxation and basis rules for each. Study that 90% of the time and business law the other 10%. You’ll be alright.

Becker only

FAR (10/19) 80

REG (11/19) 85

AUD (12/19) 80

BEC (1/20) 87

Club74
    Participant

Get basis calculation to click and you'll pass this exam. It's really that simple. Others have said it before but I can't emphasize it enough to anyone taking REG.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 74, 79
    REG - 79
    FAR - 74, 81

Maybe I shouldn't have made my username "Club74"

12tang
    Participant

I'm running through the material for a 3rd time and sit next week. It's definitely clicking now but I'm still pissed about all the little nuances and rules. There are many with REG. Learning it all is such a pain, just to sit on exam day and not even see half of it. Rules galore that relate in no way to GAAP accounting, filled with exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions are annoying as heck! You can't cut any corners with it because you have no clue where they will scope in.

BEC - PASS

FAR - PASS

AUD - PASS

REG - PASS

BOOM!  JUST LIKE THAT, I GOT MY LIFE BACK!  =D

Using Becker self-study
    FAR: (82) 175 hours - 1st attempt
    BEC: (XX)
    AUD: (69) 45hrs of study - 1st attempt
    REG: (XX)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.