I'm using the 2008 edition of Becker. Do I need to use the updated 2009 amounts?

• Creator
    Topic
    Hayley
    Participant

I am taking Reg on Oct 7th. Please help! Thanks. 🙂

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I used the 2008 book and took the test in the 3rd window: I passed with little trouble. In my opinion, you should be OK, but don't hold me to that! 😛

QCPA
    Participant

You can also go under Becker's cpa.com and see the updates per section; Chapter 3 changed

hopes this helps you!

Hayley
    Participant

Ooops, I meant to say that I have the 2009 (not 2008) Becker book and will the newly released 2009 exemption/phase-out amounts be tested in the Oct/Nov testing window? I have the new amounts written all over my book, and it is SO difficult to work on the MCQs using the old amounts knowing that I need to memorize the 2009 amounts for the actual exam. Can someone shed some lights on this? Jeff – any thoughts?

Thanks anyway, QCPA.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have somewhat the same question, more concerning timing.

I am planning to take REG in late November. I have been using Becker & was about to order the materials to start studying & stay on a time frame, but it asked if I want the 2009 or 2010 edition. The 2010 edition will be out sometime in November but that wouldn't give me enough time to study for this window.

Should I start now with 2009 Becker & take it in November & if I fail, might have to update to 2010 or should I just wait for the 2010 & take it in the Jan/Feb window? I was hoping to take FAR in Feb IF I pass REG this window. I am not sure I can do like so many here do & study for more than 1 section in a window unless I have to if I fail REG.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe it was just me, but I don't remember them testing specific phase-out amounts on the exam, or any year-specific type figures at all.

jeff
    Keymaster

Kristy is correct – they don't test specific phaseout amounts for the most part.

Why? Because they would have to update the test bank every year for the new amounts and change each year-specific question.

So – the questions are more general and conceptual.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    jennifer.kunkle1
    Participant

How do you study for the test without the Becker passmaster. I am assuming that since you mentioned 2008, the software must have expired. I am having the same problem. My Becker 2008 software just expired on me.

jeff
    Keymaster

You'll either have to re-up with Becker and get a new license or pursue another route for software like Wiley.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    yankees27
    Participant

tommy, that happened to me, i called them and you get a one-time extension for the software, but i dont know how long they will grant the extension for, i only needed a week so they were accommodating

jennifer.kunkle1
    Participant

Yankees27 – what version of Becker are you using. I understand that some versions cannot be updated over the phone.

jennifer.kunkle1
    Participant

A friend of mine has offered to lend me the 2007 version of the mcq in printed form. She printed the whole passmaster. Is there a lot of difference in FAR between 2007 and 2009 materials?

Hayley
    Participant

Tommy – there were updates for every chapter when I took FAR using 2008 Becker.

Hayley
    Participant

Here is what Becker have to say about this:

The 2009 tax law became eligible for testing effective July 1, 2009. We have posted an update on our student website that covers the 2009 tax law changes. However, the AICPA has been slow to transition the questions in the past. Therefore, I would recommend that you know the 2008 tax law, AND the 2009 update.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.