Crushed the first 3 exams, now GF wants to dump me, need moral support, ahhhH!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Working over 2,500 hours a year, and dealing with tax seasons is a lot going on, when you’re studying for the CPA exam. Even most nights when I am lucky enough to be home from work by 6PM, studying is still almost impossible because my brain is just totally fried from work by the time I get home.

I met an amazing girl right when I started the CPA exam (about 14 months ago) and got great scores on the first three tests, and she has stood by me throughout test after test and tax season after tax season. We used to install a “2-night per week maximum” on the amount of times we were allowed to see each other and hang out while I was studying for the other tests. As difficult as that was, it worked and allowed me to get in good focus time when we were apart. Now suddenly that isn’t enough anymore, I’m about halfway through the FAR material and she wants to go on “break” and probably is just going to leave me.

I can’t count on how many times I tried telling her that this test is tough for me and I just don’t have the time. She feels as though she isn’t important/isn’t respected and that I constantly put my needs above or before her own. I guess I do, isn’t that the norm with this test? I would be happy to be there for her and do things for her, after this last test.

Please just tell me I’m not crazy, I’m soooo stressed about the test and work as it is, and now super upset about losing a great girl, you might think if she just totally leaves me or we go on ‘break’ that it would be a gift for study time so I can cruise through the last test, but now that its getting real, even with her gone its hard to focus b/c now I’m sad 🙁

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

That is sad, just make sure you are very clear to her that as soon as the test is over she is number 1.

If she done not get that then she is losing a good guy who once becomes a cpa can make good money

and possible have a future together.

It is her loss.

spikesrd
    Participant

I feel your pain, bud. No matter how often my wife and I discuss how beneficial obtaining the certification will be, and how much preparation it will take to get it, she still complains when I tell her I am studying after work instead of heading straight home (toddlers inhabit the domicile so I can't focus at home). It makes it that much more difficult to concentrate and keep at it when someone else is pissed at you for studying instead of spending that time with them. Not sure what the solution to that problem is, or if one even exists, but I do know that nothing will stop me from passing the rest of the exams. You should look at it that way and hope that she's around when it's time to celebrate passing the last exam.

“The reward for work well-done is more work.”

BEC - 05/26/2015 77
    AUD - 07/27/2015 88
    FAR - 08/31/2015 80
    REG - 11/30/2015 73, 04/18/2016 80 Done!!!

Missy
    Participant

Its ok to be sad, its very hard. That said, let her go. Like, permanently. I am not saying this to be flippant. But as someone who's been married for a long time, the challenges a relationship faces are MUCH tougher than this exam when it comes to raising kids, aging parent, etc. If she wants to bolt because she's being asked to make a short term sacrifice for long term stability and well being, she is not the mother of your future children.

But take care of you and lick your wounds. I know how hard it is but if you can't hang when the finish line is clearly in sight, you can't meet me at the finish line either.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm. Consider this; assuming that you have passed all the exams, what makes you think that the drama stops right there?

Value what is better in terms of a long-run.

joyflying
    Participant

@DanVerona89 I totally get what you are going through. Sitting for the exams while working and having a relationship/family can be very stressful. As tough as it sounds, our profession does take a lot of time from the ones we love. I was working full time for an internship and taking three courses while sitting for my exams, and my boyfriend is the type that wants to spend a lot of time with you – it is also a lot of pressure. The thing that is important is to make some time for both of you – it can be as simple as a call at night during the study break. There are people that require spending more time with their partners – it is not her or your fault.

Try talk to her and see she can understand. I hope things work out for you!

AUD - 91
    BEC - 90
    FAR - 93
    REG - 94
    The best is yet to come..

FAR - 93 (08/24/2014 - First down!)
    AUD - 91 (11/21/2014 - Second down!!)
    BEC - 90 (02/26/2015 - Third down!!!)
    REG - 94 (05/29/2015 - Touch down!!!!!)

Here comes my touch down!
    Certified in MA (08/2015)

Tscape16
    Participant

She isn't worth it. Period.

AUD - 92
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 90
    REG - 82
    Licensed CPA since 2015.

FAR - 90 ✔
    BEC - 86 ✔
    REG - 82 ✔
    AUD - 92 ✔
    ETHICS - Passed

*Licensed CPA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Right, as Peter Olinto would say, just let them leave you because once you get that CPA you are just going to trade up anyway, LOL

Anyway, thank you all for the kind words! I will likely revisit this page a few times over the next few days to try and keep my head straight

Martin
    Participant

Does she look as good as Skynet future girlfriend? If she is a 9, then show her proof that you will make close to 100K when you are done. You need to exaggerate a little for hot girls. The end of the following video applies to your particular situation and future CPA salary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWmFWRVLlU

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

Gatorbates
    Participant

She's not great if she won't understand the time demands. Stop fooling yourself.

There's probably another dude. Plenty of other great women out there. Especially once you have “CPA” next to your name.

Licensed Florida CPA:
    B: 71, 73, 79
    A: 83
    R: 78 (expired), 77
    F: 74, 74, 80

It's finally freaking over.

Anonymous
    Inactive

F that noise

Skynet
    Participant

Pass the last exam, get your CPA, get a bottle of AXE Body Spray, and girls will throwing yourself at you.

You know that song “My Milkshake gets all the Boys in the Yard”

Well the other Version is

“My CPA gets all the Girls in the Yard”

AUD - 90
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 87
    World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - In Progress
    Phase III : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase IV : Form the new Charlie's Angels with Megan Fox, Scarlett Johansson, & Gal Gadot
    Phase V : TBD

BEC : 78
    REG : 87
    FAR : 84
    AUD : 90

World Domination Plan

Phase I : Pass CPA Exams - Complete
    Phase II : Megan Fox - Initiated
    Phase III : Bring back 8-Tracks
    Phase IV : Megan Fox & Scarlett Johansson Lingerie Pillow Fight
    Phase V : TBA

taxgeek83
    Participant

Went through that when I was starting college. Working, going to class and studying took up a lot of my time. Got my associates degree and the poor kid thought I would be done after that. Needless to say, it was an interesting conversation when I started on my bachelor's….

Relationships, in my opinion, simply don't work unless both people support each other. It's not enough to just “put up with it” for a while. What happens if you decide you want to get a master's degree, or go for another certification? Ultimately, you need to do what's best for you. Just my opinion though. 🙂

win2bet
    Participant

when girls say they need a break or some space, it means they ready for some new D, drop her man. Her loss & now you can have more time to focus on finishing up the test

REG 68,87
    BEC 85
    FAR 75
    AUD 64,64, 86!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I signed up for CPA review knowing that it would test the relationship I was in. We were at a “poo-or-get-off-the-pot” point in our relationship and I needed to know for sure if he was the kind of guy that was really going to be there for me and support and encourage me. He wasn't and I'm glad I found out sooner rather than later.

Reread mla11692's comment above…truer words have never been spoken!

Martin
    Participant

I agree with win2betmore. When they need time, you know she is already spending it with another dude. Put a digital recorder under her car sit..

Through God all things can happen!

“You never fail until you stop trying.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people;as I grow older, I admire kind people.
    “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.”

FAR= 72-84
    Audit= 73-82
    BEC= 74-75
    Reg=77

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.