FAR First?

• Creator
    Topic
    Mike
    Participant

Is it still recommended to take FAR first as it is the hardest? I know that when I started studying a couple of years ago that was the recommendation but just wanted to check now. Thanks!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    CPA_VT
    Participant

I personally think the Order in which we take does not matter, even though many people have strong opinion. I started studying in Jan'20 and I decided to take BEC first only because there were a lot of topics in there that I recently learnt in my evening MBA from less than a year ago and also some topics that I deal with on a day-to-day basis. I passed BEC with a high score and I got the hang of studying with GLEIM
    I took FAR next and I must say I put in significantly more hours of study time, way more MCQs from the test bank for FAR . For BEC I only did the bare minimum MCQ and Simulations given in the respective Study Units.
    For FAR , I did at least 1200 MCQs on top of what were in the Study Unit. In the end, I passed FAR comfortably with an 88 score when I thought I bombed a SIM completely and would have been a borderline case.
    So it really depends which section you feel comfortable with. I see no particular disadvantage in doing first a section you might be more comfortable with , just as a morale booster if not for anything else. That worked for me personally. Predictably , I am slogging through AUD now and will know how well prepared I was in a few weeks time.
    Good luck.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 95
    FAR - 88
    REG - 81
    Ethics -100
    Licensed Virginia -Nov 2020
    Glad to be done!!
    Tiff
    Participant

Well it depends….If your motivation is a bit fragile..I wouldn't recommend it. FAR is an absolute beast. And if you're a little fragile like I was when I started, it can break your spirit. I actually opted to take an easy one first to build some momentum and took on FAR 2nd. Then AUD then REG. It took me 3xs to pass but passing the first gave me momentum and I knew I COULD pass because I had conquered 1 prior.

But if you absolutely have you're mind set to go forward no matter what….then definitely go ahead and knock FAR out!!!

BEC 65, 86
    FAR 59, 65, 77
    AUD 75
    REG 65, 77
    monikernc
    Participant

Depends on how strong your foundation is in financial accounting. FAR is fundamental and if you have a strong base it will certainly help manage the difficulty. FAR should definitely be taken before AUD and you will see a bit on REG and some on BEC. You don’t want to risk losing credits for passed exams because you can’t pass FAR. Those 18 months go quickly. CPA_VT is correct a lot of MBA material is on BEC. I took FAR AUD BEC REG. But think FAR AUD REG BEC would have worked, too. Consider your strengths and experience then decide. School prepared me for FAR and NINJA did the rest! Good luck!

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Mike
    Participant

Would it be a bad idea to take the easiest section first? If so, which section is that? Like I said I started studying FAR a few years ago and got frustrated after seeming to make little progress. I have been out of school for over ten years and work as an accountant for an engineering company if that matters.

Diesel
    Participant

Based solely on pass rates, BEC would be the easiest of the 4 at 61.76% in Q1. Reg 55.42%, AUD 47.97% , FAR 46.37%, as displayed on the AICPA website. 2019 had similar percentages.

AUD - 89
    BEC - 91
    FAR - 79
    REG - 85
    jeff
    Keymaster

Always FAR first – unless major change is coming in another area.

OR if you have 3-4 weeks and want to cram one in (AUD/BEC).

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    spal2422
    Participant

Based on my personal experience, passing FAR first really helped me in passing AUD and BEC. During AUD, I practiced lots of Simulations but I came across few areas on exam day which I only knew from FAR syllabus. They did not feature during any of my AUD simulation practice while studying. Similarly in BEC, FAR knowledge really helped me in written communication section.

FAR - 63, 90
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 68, 87
    REG -
    Recked
    Participant

Agree with the above posters.
    FAR first for a couple reasons. I think it helps (and plays into) AUD really well, and a little with BEC as well. And statistically speaking it is the hardest and your are most likely to have to re-sit for FAR. Always best to use FAR to get that 18 month window rolling to give yourself the best odds to pass the other 3 and not lose any credits due to not being able to pass FAR.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

jd
    Participant

I would recommend it. In my opinion, it had the most material to cover and took me the longest to study for, imagine having to pass far in order to not lose credit.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 81
    REG - 85
    Compete
    monikernc
    Participant

If you struggled with FAR the first go round I urge you to pass it first before attempting others. Pass FAR, then start the 18 month clock on the other 3. Besides, there are no easy CPA exams.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.