CPA License Reciprocity With Varying Credit Extensions

• Creator
    Topic
    anonymous

I am (hopefully) almost finished with my CPA exams, only one part left! I currently live in CT, which has extended credits until 12/31/20. My REG credit expires on 8/31/20 and was extended to 12/31/20. I was looking into moving, not necessarily anytime soon, to PA (it was a thought before COVID19 happened). Per the NASBA credit extension table and their state website, I don’t think I would have been granted a credit extension in PA. I obviously wasn’t expecting COVID19 to happen, or for my state to extend the credits to 12/31/20. I guess I’m just wondering what will happen to those candidates who pass their CPA exams in states who have extended their credit expiration dates and apply for reciprocity in states that didn’t necessarily extend them? I’m comfortable with the experience and education. I’m just concerned about the examination. I’m planning on applying for the CT license, but want to know if I’ll need to pass all 4 parts before 8/31/20 to meet the 18 month window for PA if I want to apply for reciprocity one day? The phone lines are down and I got an automatic reply for an email, but I would like to see if anyone else has any thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I know this is super forward thinking, but I want to be make sure that I can think of anything that could possibly result in a denial, especially since my 18 month window is almost done.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    monikernc
    Participant

From the PA Accountancy Board website (always check the Board rules directly)https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/Accountancy/Pages/default.aspx

“Exam Credit Extensions

Due to the COVID-19 emergency disaster declaration signed by the Governor on March 6, 2020, a waiver was granted of the requirement that CPA candidates must complete all parts of the CPA examination within an 18-month period. Candidates whose exam credits expire during the time of the emergency declaration will be granted an extension which lasts for the duration of the emergency plus an additional 180 days from the end of the emergency. This exam credit extension replaces the 90 day extension that was recently granted to CPA candidates by way of letter from the Board.”

Check each state's residency requirements, initial license requirements and reciprocity requirements. Some states don't grant reciprocity until you have been practicing for x number of years if licensed in another state. Some states don't grant reciprocity and require that you apply for a license under their rules. So start reading for the rules for PA at the website above. And CT at: https://portal.ct.gov/DCP/Occupational-and-Professional-Division/Occupational-Boards/State-Board-of-Accountancy

You should be able to figure things out once you've read each state's rules.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?
    Ninja book and MCQs and the forum, all first try! 2016
    Licensed State of Montana April Fool’s Day 2020
    State of Colorado June 2020 - AICPA Ethics 93
    Experience was the worst part of the journey for me. You?
    If you want things to change you have to do something different.

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!
    Ninja Book and MCQ and the forum - all the way!!!
    and a little thing i like to call, time and effort!
    if you want things to change, you have to do something different

Recked
    Participant

Agree with Monikernc. Actually love reading posts like that lol.
    Most states that do reciprocity just require “substantially equivalent” licensing requirements to their states, ie: 150 credit hours, years experience, 4 passing scores, etc.
    I would think a few years down the line it's not that likely that they will look into the dates you passed the exams, but it all depends on that individual states requirements.
    Always better to get information from primary sources (that states website) vs asking random people who might give you the wrong answer.

I assume one day I'll be living in NC or SC, and be looking for reciprocity. But hopefully after 10+years working with a CPA license, they won't ask me for too much more information.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

monikernc
    Participant

Recked – did you used to post under a different profile name? I recognize your signature from when I was studying in 2016.

I was a NC candidate and they do not use NASBA for anything other than scores. The NC board staff are great. I used to live down the street and would drop off everything in person. I could not fulfill the one year under direct supervision by a licensed CPA requirement and moved my scores to MT. I now live in CO and will probably only return to NC to go to the beach in the summer. After living here, the thought of returning to all that humidity is unbearable….If you do go, head for the mountains. I miss trees so much!

As for my post, since I had to research a lot of state's rules for licensing and NASBAs process I figure the most help I can be on here is to respond to licensing questions. Besides, I owe Jeff big time for all the support he has given me over the years!!! I remember when he only had 5 kids….

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!

anonymous

Monikernc, thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate the time it took for you to look into it! I agree with both of your points. I had looked at both board websites before I posted, but haven't had any real experience with interpreting rules for license requirements besides what they had on their applications. To Recked's point, I probably should've just waited for a response from the primary source instead of posting on here for potentially a quick response from a random person, but I'm grateful for both of your responses. I'm going to wait and see what they say in the meantime.

I've been on the discussion boards during my CPA journey for guidance from others in the community and you've both provided some really great advice. Thanks!

monikernc
    Participant

Bottom line, the 18 month window still holds subject to the COVID extensions which are pretty consistently applied – NASBA has a page dedicated to state updates and decisions related to COVID here: https://nasba.org/creditextension/

If what you do is acceptable under the state's rules you are approved, I would bet that down the road when it is time for your initial license everything will be ok but you need to know the rules of the board where you live and work as a CPA candidate and/or licensed CPA. You may move 10 more times during your career and you will always have to know…we all live by that.

AUD - 93
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 88
    How have you been?

FAR 7/25/15 76!
    AUD 10/30/15 93
    BEC 2/27/16 82
    REG 5/23/16 88!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.