Experience Sign Off

• Creator
    Topic
    Tncincy
    Participant

Hi Ninja’s, I working on passing the exam, but I was wondering about the experience sign off. I have worked bookkeeping and tax for over 20 years. I’m like the silent competition in my area. I am acquainted with the few CPA’s in the area through my children going to school and playing sports with their children. How should I approach a local CPA to get the signature experience? Work with them for the year or look for someone I do not personally know. They know I am in business and have been in the area as long as they have been, so I am being a little gun shy about asking for help. What do you think?

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Recked
    Participant

Depends on your state requirements but I would imagine you would actually need to work for, or be supervised by the CPA.
    Your state might allow the NASBA experience review?
    Do you have any passing scores yet? How is the CPA progress going for you?

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Tncincy
    Participant

Unfortunately I have not passed any part yet. I am studying for Far. Honestly I really wasn't putting in the time to say I was studying for the parts I took. I was doing everything else then attempting to study only to be discouraged. So, I'm not playing around with this anymore. I am committed. I switched from Wiley to surgent with minimal cost to me, since neither expire. Don't know if switching was a mistake, but so far I am staying on task. I thought if I get with a CPA now, by the time I am finished testing, I won't delay ANOTHER YEAR. It may take me all of this year to pass. I'm hoping not, but I'm giving it a real try now. My business is depending upon the license now.

It begins with a 75

It begins with a 75

Recked
    Participant

It makes sense to try and hook up with a CPA now, or to at least look into whether the other options are available in your state.
    The CPA is not the end all, be all in the tax and bookkeeping game. If the CPA doesn't work out for you in the near term you can look into the EA exams, just to get a designation.
    By no means am I encouraging you to give up the dream of being a CPA, but you've been at this for a while now.
    Keep grinding, study hard. This will be your year!

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Tncincy
    Participant

I considered the EA designation, but some of my well meaning friends thought the EA was such a play down to the CPA. No, I'm not doing this for them, but it's not a bad idea to look at it again. I am still wondering should I find someone (CPA) that does not know me personally? Everyone want to be so secretive and think I'm trying to evaluate their business. I just want the sign off.

It begins with a 75

It begins with a 75

Tncincy
    Participant

I just found out my state is flexible. The state has a record of how long I have been in business and I can get a review. I might still find someone to work under in some situations just for the experience. I need to pass first 🙁

It begins with a 75

It begins with a 75

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.