Feel safe testing during this time?

• Creator
    Topic
    DocJ
    Participant

So I have FAR again in a month.

TBH, I do NOT feel safe at all in going to Prometric in my area. I’m in MA and we re-open Monday, despite Coronavirus cases still not declining. That basically means we can expect a surge right in June, just in time to test :-/

I’m seriously considering just cancelling and putting my CPA journey on hold for a good while. AUD expires in August, and BEC/REG soon after. But frankly I don’t even care anymore. There is just no way I’m gonna be able to concentrate or feel safe in a potential virus hotspot, not to mention being distracted with trouble breathing through a mask or my glasses constantly fogging up from that.

If nothing else, even if I passed, I still need a year’s work and like 8 or 9 more classes for the experience and education requirements. So I’m still MANY years away from the actual CPA. Which makes going now feel like an even more unnecessary risk.

Anyone else just not feel safe testing right now? It just seems like a really bad idea…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    CG
    Participant

You can request credit extensions by writing out all the reasons and send it in my mail. Youre either going to wait 4 months for an answer and itll be no or wait 4 months for an answer and itll be yes. These people dont have souls tho so probably a no. Worth a try tho.

you only funky as yo last cut
    CH89
    Participant

If I recall correctly, I think NASBA is working with the states to try and extend the 18-month window. As mentioned above, doesn't hurt to reach out to your state board and request a credit extension. I'm hopefully sitting for an exam next Tuesday, I'm in Pa, and like you, this is my last exam. I can't say that I don't feel safe, it's not a concern of mine. At the end of the day, it's your decision. If you feel it is too risky of a situation, then there's nothing wrong with putting this journey on hold. Sit on this thought for a couple days, and do what you feel is right for you. Best of luck to you DocJ going forward.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 79
    What a journey! It took me 12 attempts, do not give up, keep going! Praise God!

Passed Exams: 8/25/2020

Licensed in Pa: 11/24/2020

DocJ
    Participant

NASBA is working with the states to try and extend the 18-month window”

From what I can tell, they are. But that basically means ‘don't talk to us, talk to your state and hope they're not jerks.' I actually did just send an email asking if my state (MA) will allow for extensions due to concerns about the pandemic. Now to wait 4 months for a response…..

The more I think about this, the more I'm just like screw this.

CH89
    Participant

NASBA can't extend your credit anyways, that decision is made by your state. Good luck with an extension.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 76
    REG - 79
    What a journey! It took me 12 attempts, do not give up, keep going! Praise God!

Passed Exams: 8/25/2020

Licensed in Pa: 11/24/2020

jeff
    Keymaster

My assumption is that most of us will get it – if we haven't already gotten it.

Everything has risk.

Driving to the store has risk.

Going out in public during flu season has risk (I have a friend who almost died from influenza B).

Leaving your house carries risk.

Staying at home carries risk.

It's all about risk vs benefit.

What data are you looking at that is causing this anxiety?

The mortality rate for “young” people (under 60-ish) is extremely low.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
    CPAHOPE
    Participant

DocJ
    Id rather pass and die from Corona then not giving me the chance to take the exam again. Life is short, we will all die someday
    Thats just me though, your life your call buddy. If you do decide to take the exam, make sure to wash your hands thoroughly and have your best internal control while taking the exam

AUD - 78
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 80
    REG - 77
    FAR 80

REG 79*,77

AUD 78!!Final

BEC 76

"Theres no limit unless you allow it"

*expired

Cpainthemaking
    Participant

I’m sure testing during this time must be difficult. You are sooo close to being done with this monster exam. I suggest you give it your all and take the test.

You will beat yourself up if you give up on something you want so badly.

Cpainthemaking
    Participant

I had a miscarriage last October. I was devastated and unmotivated. I was studying for FAR at that time and had only passed Reg.

I gave myself some time to process my emotions and took the test a month later.

I dropped to the floor and cried so much when I got my scores and found out I had passed FAR.

Passing the beast FAR during such a difficult time motivated me so much and continued studying and shortly after I passed Audit and BEC.

Studying for the CPA exams is difficult. You’re so close. Don’t give up on yourself!

DocJ
    Participant

“What data are you looking at that is causing this anxiety?”

90,000 dead and counting.

“Id rather pass and die”

That's…..alarming.

“You will beat yourself up if you give up on something you want so badly.”

I don't want it THAT badly.

“Don’t give up on yourself!”

I'm not, just considering putting it on hold.

Vanquished
    Participant

How could you not? They're forcing us to wear masks for no reason, they'll have every other seat vacant, they'll be cleaning everything. I feel safer taking the exam now than I did in March or would have during flu season.

I am not at all at risk of anything, nor is 99.9% of all CPA test takers. The death statistics are greatly exaggerated (all you have to do is look at the numbers from non-corrupt states and compare to those that are corrupt). They aren't hiding it either. They are point-blank saying that if you had Covid and died from any means, you will be counted as a covid death. 60-80k people die from the flu every year, 2.8M people die in any given year in the US and the death rate has not increased at all since Covid, that shows me that the people who are dying are the very ill or very elderly that likely would have already died.

Frankly I'm very mad that I have to take the test in a mask now. As if I needed another challenge with this test…

BTW, I fully agree with Jeff. I think most of us have already had it and if not, will get it. The antibody tests have the numbers somewhere around 65-70M people infected in the country. Which puts the mortality rate extremely low, even when making no distinction for the very elderly or very ill.

For perspective, you have a 1% chance of dying from car accident, which is about 10X as likely as dying from COVID.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 92
    FAR - 87
    REG - 78
    I have no desire to be a public accountant but my company wants me to be a CPA so...
    taxmachine
    Participant

I recently took FAR and the Prometric center in New Jersey took great measures to keep everything clean and sanitized. Had to wear a mask, which was a pain, but I know the importance of passing the exam as soon as possible. Do not live in fear. As others have mentioned, unless you have underlying conditions or are 60+ years old, the chances of experiencing significant health issues are very small. Be cautious but don't be crazy. There is a fine balance between the two. Work hard now, especially if you have the motivation because once the motivation dwindles, it might be too late to get it back. Best of luck.

REG- 93 (2/24/2020) Gleim

FAR- 93 (5/14/2020) Gleim

AUD- 93 (7/15/2020) Gleim

BEC- 94 (9/14/2020) Gleim

BEC- TBD

DocJ
    Participant

“They're forcing us to wear masks for no reason”

Oh shut up with that nonsense.

“Be cautious but don't be crazy.”

Choosing to put an exam on hold during a literal pandemic is ‘crazy?'

DocJ
    Participant

You know what, I'm postponing.

Thanks for your responses. Seriously, they've been eye-opening and somewhat bewildering. I mean, it's “crazy” to put an exam on hold? “Giving up” to wait? You'd rather pass and die?

Are you guys okay?

I say that with NO malice. I mean my god, it's just an exam, settle down. When you die, NOBODY at your funeral will be like “Did you know he passed this random test? What a swell guy!” You don't test for anyone to ‘recognize' you or whatever, you do it for yourself and push your job in a positive direction. That's all, it shouldn't be this grand life-and-death matter. There's motivation, and then there's just sounding like a ‘cult,' for lack of better word.

And I must ask: If a PANDEMIC isn't enough to be cautious, what is? What'll it take for you to step back and think you know what, this thing that I'm only using for my job can wait? Has your job seriously become THAT vital to your life? Where you put a test on a pedestal? I can already sense your “it's more than a test” responses, but that just proves my point because it's not LIFE. Settle down, don't you have friends or a hobby or…?

End of day, gotta do what's best for you. I'm not prepared to possibly hurt myself and, more importantly, family and friends who are more at-risk. If I went to Prometric, turned out fine, but became an asymptomatic carrier and severely hurt or killed someone I cared for, I couldn't live with myself. Just cuz you're low-risk doesn't mean you SHOULD risk it. This thing doesn't discriminate, ANY of you or someone close to you can die. One of the first people to die in Italy was a marathon runner. Lets face it, you're not half as healthy as he was, let alone many of your own family. The risk isn't just on you, it's also being a carrier and killing someone you love (or even just harming them, read some of the stories on the permanent damage this thing causes, death isn't the only bar we're setting here). There is no “oh it couldn't happen to me” here.

I don't know what kind of life you wanna lead, but that's not what I want. No amount of passing or getting that little raise at work will compensate for losing a loved one, while knowing I COULD have stopped it.

If nothing else, I challenge you to read some of the horror stories of people in hospitals (or more often being denied from hospitals). EVERY one of them will tell you don't be dumb, this is serious. Data is already all over Google and I could give you a million, but frankly we both know that's a waste cuz you're already too entrenched in your position to change your mind. Or you have a vested interest to deny this is even a thing because you gotta sell more of your product.

Instead, I just challenge you to settle down and rethink things, look for your humanity, stop talking and LISTEN to victims. If nothing else, maybe it'll bring some more dignity to the CPA profession. Y'all talk about wanting to be better accountants or get raises at your job or whatever else. Perhaps a bit more empathy might increase your chances.

TLDR, settle down.

Peace.

CPAHOPE
    Participant

You got a valid point DOCJ! You got me man lol Its good to laugh during difficult times sometimes. Yeah to be honest, I would be really scared if I contract this corona disease. Its not affecting my own health but my family as well. Im going to bring my best internal control while taking the exams. Im taking in auguest just to be safe.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 76
    FAR - 80
    REG - 77
    FAR 80

REG 79*,77

AUD 78!!Final

BEC 76

"Theres no limit unless you allow it"

*expired

CPA is a WIP
    Participant

DocJ I am with you on this one! Life has thrown me several heavy blows throughout the years, and people can sympathize, try to comprehend one's pain, or understand the situation. But until they personally go through the same dilemma, they will never know how it truly feels. I have tried passing this darn exam several times on an on-again, off-again relationship, but life kept saying no! I have lost a home, had a parent and grandparent pass in the same year, followed by a dear friend of mine from lung cancer. After a couple of years hibernating from studying along with doing some deep soul searching, I decided in late January 2020, I was going to put an end to this journey and purchased a full-blown review course! However, the world changed overnight due to this deadly disease!

Furthermore, I help my aging mother take care of a chronically ill sibling. He has had a life from hell since birth. He's been in and out of hospitals throughout the years, required several surgeries, suffers from upper GI bleeds, amongst other serious health issues. Last year, doctors thought he was not going to make it because he kept bleeding out from the gi bleed and required transfusions for 2 days. I have spent nights and weeks in the hospital with him. My other 2 siblings and I rotated, but it was brutal. Mind you all, this would be done after working a full day's work as an “uncertified” accountant. Why not take FMLA leave some of you may ask? I need a paycheck and insurance for myself and my son!

All that being said, HELL no! I am not going to jeopardize my health or any of my family's health over a test! I know and experienced first hand how tough a hospital stay is! I have seen very ill people in the ICU alongside my brother. At times I have wanted to endure his illness so he could know what a moment of health felt like.

I am with you DocJ! This CPA exam will always be around. So forget you NASAB and State Board, I will wait before handing over my money or worse my life or a relatives life! This test does not define who I am! It does not reflect the awful challenges life has thrown at me. This CPA title can wait. Plus at 36, I am not sure if the ROI is worthwhile.

Thank you for your time!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.