1 year in Public Enough?

• Creator
    Topic
    Bobsacajawillie
    Participant

Is one year in public accounting enough? I’m 3 months in and it really sucks. Would i be able to get a cushy job in industry with having the cpa and a year of public experience? I have 2 years of industry accounting experience already, and have passed all four and parts so I can get licensed, but i was making less than I am now in public. So I’m hoping with the cpa and a year if public experience that I can leverage a more chill higher paying job

AUD - 81
    BEC - 86
    FAR - 79
    REG - 81
    Fly you fools!
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Icarito
    Participant

In my opinion, as someone who only stayed 1 year in public, it is not enough. Either stay 5 years, grow your expertise in 1 or a couple of areas, and then bounce, or move asap.

You learn things in public that are not possible to learn in industry, but the work life balance in industry doesn't compare, it's much better.

FAR - 80 (4/1/2019)

BEC - 82 (9/7/2019)

AUD - 81 (11/23/2019)

REG - 94 (3/9/2020)

bigstakk
    Participant

You just need about 3yrs to really have the experience matter from my experience. Most jobs requiring public usually state the same. That's how much I have and I don't plan to go back and it has not affected me in any way and has given me an advantage for jobs. 5yrs would be great if you have the stamina, but with the right mix of public and private you can manage a nice career regardless as other factors usually dictate your ability to move up in a company or in a job search. You honestly don't really start to make money in accounting until 5-6yrs in, so one year and a CPA won't really do too much for your immediate pay range. Really it isn't until you are closer to 10-12yrs where you can start making more than $150-200K per year.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 80
    REG - 82

Ethics Exam - 90%
    Licensed CPA in CA

LuckyGuy292
    Participant

IMO, 5-7 years is the sweet spot. If you're miserable after only 3 months (not even during busy season), you may want to consider a different path. It doesn't get easier at the turn of the year. Plus I wouldnt want a skippy resume.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 85
    REG - 79
    🙂
    say
    Participant

It isn't enough. I know that is not what you want to hear. What is it that is getting to you? The hours? The type of work? The team? I did public for 4 years with a midsized firm. I think the reason I stayed as long as I did was because the people were great. I didn't like the work. I learned a lot but after a while it was so tedious and I lost my stamina. I hated audit. I still hate it now. I think 10% of auditing is good, the part where you are analyzing and making assessment/testing but the documenting is 90% and it is pure grunt work. I was so over it and the pay. You need to stick it out for the greater good of your career. I can't emphasize what a great learning experience it is.

I can and I will
    Participant

hey there- recently left public 3 months ago-and I haven't looked back. Sure- maybe I lost out on $$ potential, but I gained back- happiness.

I was in public just shy of 2 years, yup- i bounced right before the senior title. I really grappled with this – but finally decided after being thrown around on crappy clients and back to back busy seasons- it was time to leave. My cpa tests are about to expire in December, i really felt like I'd never be able to pass if I stayed here. SO- I made the jump to a well known entertainment company in california, and I make 25% more and collected a signing bonus. I work about 9 am- 5:30 pm everyday. Everyone is nice. Work is interesting but not too stressful. I finally passed FAR because my work supports me studying, and I have more time to study. Life is GOOD.

I became a horrible person when I worked in public and was trying to study for CPA tests. I became depressed, gained weight, and lashed out at the loved ones around me. For me, my well-being was far more valuable than any job title or money. I can't say the same for everyone else- but, at the end of the day you need to figure out what is most important to you.

I could have never gotten the job I am in now, without my big 4 experience, and I am forever grateful for that. I was able to jump pretty easily to senior position without actually have made senior at big 4. Sure- i missed out on coaching opportunities and learning more, but I was so miserable with the people I was working with- it wasn't worth it to me. Also- auditing is SOO boring. I had to get out. I'm in finance now.

Okay said my peace- only YOU know what is best for you. If you can stay at least 2 years- I'd recommend it. My senior friends leaving now are leaving for the same position I left 3 months pre-senior. Makes no difference.

I can and I will- Don't give up!

AUD- 64,72,82

BEC-79

FAR-67,65,74,78

REG-66, 77 - I AM DONE!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.