150 Credit Education Requirement

• Creator
    Topic
    jc30124
    Participant

Has anyone been denied the education requirement by their state board because a course was not sufficient? I received a 4 year degree from an accredited college and have all of the business and accounting credits squared away. I am currently taking courses at an accredited community college to finish up the 150. I’m concerned because I took a couple courses that I feel may be rejected. I’ve taken two music instrument courses and am considering taking a studio art course. They are all 3 credit classes but I am just wondering if the state board would deny credit for classes such as theses that are clearly more for personal development than developing accounting/business knowledge. I am seeking certification in CT. I’ve emailed the state board but don’t expect to hear back anytime soon. If anyone has any knowledge or experience in this area please share.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Track55
    Participant

I have 4 units of PE and no one cared.

AUD - 99
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 86
    REG - 92
    California - Internal Audit

CPA since December 2016.

(took seven tries, 1 year 10 months).

AUD - 74, 99 !!
    REG - 74, 92
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 73, 86

Studying for Ethics exam

California candidate
    Business and Industry

Pete
    Participant

My state board refuses to tell me which classes count for my education requirements. This is the response they give me:

We do not pre-qualify any courses, transcripts or schools. We only review transcripts once you have initiated the application process with our office. It is your responsibility to obtain the completion of your requirements in the specific category as shown below in order apply with our office. This information is also located on our web-site. You must have at least a Bachelor’s and the school must be an accredited school and/or institution with the CHEA regional accrediting organization in the united states.

It is advisable you contact the school, you are or will be attending as they might have a program specifically designed for obtaining a CPA credential or contact a guidance counselor within the school for assistance.

Many of the areas are very poorly written and very grey; therefore, it is very likely i'm taking the wrong classes. Hell, i've called 3-4 times and the response i've received has been the same. I guess it's not their money, so they don't actually care if I take the wrong classes.

Even worse, my state doesn't have a separate board for issuing the license; they merely consolidated the board into another department, within the state, to save money.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

jc30124
    Participant

I feel that it is pretty unclear also. I'm applying for certification in CT too so if I get a clear response in my email I will let you know. I've started the exam and therefore have received approval to sit for the exam, but I'm concerned about actual certification.

Pete
    Participant

Unfortunately JC, all the emails for our “licensing board,” which is now consolidated with the department of revenue services, get sent to the same lady. She will likely give a very vague answer, then direct you the department of revenue services website, which will give a very vague explanation. Later responses will likely garner the same one, I received (I think they have some kind of form response). I've even spoken to the manager of our states licensing board, who basically gave the same response; they can't tell us weather a class will qualify or not. He's also new, so that doesn't help things at all. Unfortunately, the local schools have no clue as to what classes qualify either. No one at the community college i'm going to can give me a clear answer as to what classes count; the best response I got was to take “business classes.”

Another huge issue in our state is actually getting a job. Because the state enforces such regulation with such little direction as this situation shows, companies are flooding to other, less regulated states. I've passed the CPA exam already, nearly have the 150 credit hours, have 6 years of book-keeping/accounting experience, and almost passed the CFE exam, yet I can't break into another position.

Anyways, if you have an interest in networking and possibly grabbing coffee sometime, let me know.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

jc30124
    Participant

In the email I sent to the address I found on the state board's site, I provided them with all my transcripts and asked for them to verify which elective courses are sufficient and which ones aren't. I'm hoping that the response I get will provide me with this info and from there we'll be able to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

And yes, I agree with you. The market is tough here, and the regulation is vague and unhelpful. I was looking at some other state board sites (Maryland for example), and these provide a very detailed outline of courses that qualify for the accounting, business, and elective categories. I am a recent graduate and had been working with several recruiters for about two years to no avail. I was fortunate to finally land a job with one of the RSM CT offices recently. I start in October so I'm looking to finish up the credit requirement and exams in the meantime.

I'll send you a private message; I'm definitely interested in networking and meeting up.

Pete
    Participant

Don't think we can direct message on this website, unfortunately; however, I'll post my email to my profile for a few days. Email me, if you're interested.

R=81 I LOVE taxes

aaronmo
    Participant

I've had the same issue with my state board (PA).

If asked, they refer me to the instructions. I ask more specific questions…how the determination is made…what classes count…etc. They don't want to be held to a process and leave it as vague as they can. I've asked various schools…none of them know.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86
    Aaron and always remember, YMMV

I profit from your CPE frustration. You're welcome.

julis728
    Participant

In Florida, in case anyone is curious, my state board straight up told me “You can take Dance and Spanish for all we care” as long as accounting and business requirements are met. 🙂

LonelyRonPaul
    Participant

@julis728 can confirm. Currently working on my 150 in FL and your non-accounting or business electives can be just about anything. I'm currently taking Weather and Climate lol.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 78
    REG - 78
    DONE!!!

FAR: 5/7/16

AUD: 7/16/16

BEC: 8/27/16

REG: 12/3/16, 2/11/17

FAR - 78, 5/7/16
    AUD - 87, 7/16/16
    BEC - 8/27/16
    REG - 12/3/16

julis728
    Participant

@LonelyRonPaul I am currently signed up for some bs business classes because they are super easy at my local college but seriously contemplating a masters. work will pay for it, but is it worth making my life harder on myself? Haven't even started studying for CPA yet O.O

Only issue I had to deal with is my forensic and fraud examination class didn't count as auditing, so I had to go back and take an auditing class as a non-matriculating student. That wasn't to do with the 150 requirement but needed to have a class in audit, cost, tax and business law as a requirement.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 81
    REG - 75
    Happily Finished

FAR - Aug 2015 (58), Feb 2016 (81)
    u
    BEC - May 2016 (79)
    AUD - Jul 2016
    REG - Aug 2016

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.