150 semester credits meaning?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

CPA license requirement now needs 150 semester credits. I have an economics bachelor’s degree. Am I required to now get a master’s in accounting to fulfill the 150 credits, or is a certificate in accounting plus additional classes from an online school/community college sufficient? (If a master’s is needed to meet the 150 credits, I might as well pay for a MBA.)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    rlarivee01
    Participant

just reread your post, so the bottom only applies to accounting grads (not econ)

Econ grad: You need specific classes to even be able to sit for the exam. I would imagine an econ degree forced you to take some of them, but there may be required ones you haven't taken yet.
    My advice would be to take a certificate program in accounting to make sure you have all those classes.

Accounting grad:
    I think it depends on the state, but in my state you can fulfill it with as low as community college credits. And those credits need not be accounting related. The ol' underwater basket-weaving example. That is a way to get it done for a few thousand dollars and little to no trouble.

Some choose to just get a certificate or masters as long as they're taking the time to go to school, but it costs more obviously. I would consult your state's rules and decide that way.

CoachEmUp
    Participant

I have a regular business administration degree and so I needed 30 accounting hours to sit. So I went to community college and got the required hours. For me it was the path of least resistance (and many others in my community college were there doing the same thing). Good luck!

Licensed CPA in Michigan

Used Wiley CPA Excel Throughtout
    FAR- 90 (7/17)
    AUD- 89 (8/17)
    REG- 92 (10/17)
    BEC- 94 (11/17)

Pete
    Participant

I agree, it really depends on the state. In some states, you need a master's degree, while in others you can get the 150 credit hours however you want.

With that said, you typically need to have certain accounting classes. If you graduated with an economics degree, you probably have not done enough accounting classes.

B=84 This exam was such a b**** that I thought I failed-don't know how these things work
    A=76 Slacker I am, I'll happily take it
    R=81 I LOVE taxes
    F=80 I don't wanna get banned for an expletive I'm thinking with "yea" proceeding it

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.