2 FAR sims on AUD exam today - Page 2

• Creator
    Topic
    jamie37
    Participant

So I just took Audit today and had not 1 but 2 sims that were straight from FAR. I haven’t studied FAR yet and was basically guessing for both. I was curious afterward and went to Becker to find out where these questions came from and I found the exact unit/chapter in FAR that they came from.

How is it allowed to have 100% FAR questions on audit? How am I supposed to prepare for a test when the questions are not even about the subject being tested??? I want to complain to the AICPA or something but I doubt it would do any good. I’m just pissed because I feel like I had audit down but I don’t feel like I will pass now.

BEC (May 2017) - 79

REG (Jan 2018) - 63, 75

AUD (Aug 2017) - 79

FAR (June 2018) - 58, 75

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think I personally did them in the order FAR-AUD-BEC-REG because that's what a few people suggested, but more seemed to suggest FAR-AUD-REG-BEC (including Roger's review course.)
    The rationale was leaving BEC for last because it kind of includes things from everything before it, except maybe REG. I've never heard of REG questions being on any of the other exams.
    Most people say that FAR is the best one to start with…it has the most material so at least you get it out of the way first. IF you pass it, which I haven't yet.

Ashley Le
    Participant

@BBHYX I will take AUD the 3rd time this September and am practicing Becker SIMs +Skill Practice. Any tips/ advice for me to prepare for SIMS ? Thank you

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not sure why all the complaining about FAR questions on AUD. What is the purpose of an Audit? To provide reasonable assurance that financial statements are fairly stated and prepared in accordance with GAAP. How can you determine FS are fairly stated if you don't know the GAAP rules they are based on?

Really boggles the mind to see the griping about this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The griping is because it's frustrating to get questions on stuff that you have not necessarily studied. How would anyone feel if they hadn't taken FAR yet and got an onslaught of questions about topics that they hadn't studied during their preparation for AUD? Come on! 🙂

The only really good thing about FAR questions on AUD is if you know the answers to them and/or have taken FAR already!! haha Easy points! I had a few on my BEC exam a couple weeks ago actually and I'm glad they were on there because I actually knew how to do them! I wish I'd gotten some FAR SIMs on BEC too because the SIMs I did get buried me alive.

BBHYX
    Participant

@cessnapilot30 the problem is that some of the FAR-type questions are so specific that you cannot have a chance of getting it right without studying far first. Most people expect to feel comfortable with the test questions after going thoroughly through their aud review materials. Adjusting entries for accruals and prepaids are basic GAAP concepts; the sim I pretty much left blank was not a basic GAAP concept at all, but a concept that is considered a tough topic even for FAR. I was pretty pissed when I left prometric that day for sure, but it ended up being pretest (I think).

@katie
    I don't really have a lot of good advice. I think the becker sims help you understand the material but won't be similar to what you see on the exam most of the time. I suggest still doing them during your review phase if you have time before your exam. I usually did not bother with the skills practice.

Becker for all

AUD - 87 (Q2 2017)
    FAR - 97 (Q3 2017)
    REG - 95 (Q3 2017)
    BEC - 98 (Q3 2017)

Anonymous
    Inactive

What kind of FAR sims were there in AUD exam?

shawn in VA
    Participant

ABH-

good luck getting an answer . everyone here is so uptight. I would like to know as well…my AUD exam is SEPT 10 and kinda freaking out that ppl are getting FAR SIMS. I have not taken FAR yet.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 81
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    AUD - 84

BEC-  81

REG-75

FAR- TBD

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a FAR like SIM in AUD in April-the SIMS itself wasn't hard, but the subject matter was straight out of Advanced Accounting, I couldn't believe it…I don't know how I summoned all my memory and remembered what to do, but had I not studied this a year prior, I would have had issues for sure….

jamie37
    Participant

@anyatver Same like the 2 sims I had didn't look to be very hard but I just did not know them because I did not know the methods needed in order to complete.

@shawn-in-va
    : Not sure what I'm allowed to say here, but if you are using Becker, maybe check out FAR chapter 3

BEC (May 2017) - 79

REG (Jan 2018) - 63, 75

AUD (Aug 2017) - 79

FAR (June 2018) - 58, 75

Anonymous
    Inactive

@jamie37 Thanks for the hint! Well, was it more to do with adjusting entries or calculating the actual values ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've definitely heard how FAR also gets tested in AUD. Does anyone know how big the possibility is for being tested on the statement of cash flows?

me71too
    Participant

I took AUD today too. I am not sure about my answers. I tend to remember the ones I had trouble with.
    The MCQ were ok in general a couple I had trouble with. The sims had more calculations than what I was practicing with Gleim. It is hard to explain without breaking the confidentially agreement but I think more than knowledge of the subject was interpretation of the question. The question in some cases were tricky the way they were formulated. I want to keep my fingers crossed and nothing I can do but wait for the results.
    I had two research questions too.
    Good luck to everybody that took AUD in the 3rd quarter!

AUD - NINJA in Training
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 79
    REG - 88
    FAR 10/7/16- 79

BEC 10/28/16 - 71  5/22/17 - 82

AUD 09/07/17

REG 03/09/17 - 88

Operation_CPA
    Participant

I think your best bet in these types of situations is to use the authoritative literature – I speak from experience that if it is something FAR related it is most likely not that difficult…but it really depends on what you saw. We all know that we can't divulge what we saw anyway, but use the AL. You could be pleasantly surprised.

FAR - 76 (Lost credit), 76
    AUD - 80
    BEC - 76
    REG - 75

Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took AUD on 7th. I got two research question too. There were Simulations with little bit of FAR understanding required.
    One of the simulation on ratio calculations was very ambiguous. Based on assumption, the answer could change. Moreover, it was not clear whether various scenario from which we had to calculate the ratio, were suppose to taken simultaneously or independently. It was extremely easy question, if I remove the ambiguity in the question.
    What could be the possibility?

Parthamis
    Participant

THis is just a question:

Are the FAR sims you got at least related to the AUD material? or did you straight out have to know the FAR material in order to tackle those particular sims? If it is the latter of the 2, it is definitely unfair.

Parthamis Prime

AUD - 73, 75... and done.

FAR - 80 (UNBELIEVABLE)

BEC - 78

REG - 81

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.