2 weeks until BEC EXAM

• Creator
    Topic
    JonK34
    Participant

Hello,

As the title says I am 2 weeks out from BEC. I have been studying for about 6 weeks. This will be final section of the exam. I am using Becker.

For those that have passed, How did you study? What topics did you feel were most covered? How should I maximize these final 2 weeks to prepare?

Thank you

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Matt
    Participant

Hi,

I took BEC early June and just received my score yesterday, and I passed with a 95. So I will give you a brief overview of what I did to prepare and what I focused on. Please note that I did not use Becker; I used Surgent.

I began with watching all lectures and taking notes on them; when I say taking notes, I mean I took notes on almost everything, because it was much easier to glance over my notes for a given topic everyday in 30 minutes than trying to rewatch entire lectures. Doing that allowed me to get more repetition with all material.

Then, I started doing MCQ's. BEC is an odd section, because there is a lot of material and it seems a little random/not as structured as the other sections. I found that there was a decent amount of questions on information I had not seen in any lectures. So after going through a round of MCQ's, I would read the explanations for the questions I got wrong, and I took additional notes on topics I had not seen before. After getting through the majority of MCQ's, I decided to make flashcards (using Quizlet) on topics that I thought would be hard for me to remember just by watching lectures and taking notes. And finally, I went through the simulations, which to me seemed to be the easiest simulations out of the 4 sections (they still are not easy).

Overall, I think there are a ton of formulas in BEC, and unfortunately it is highly recommended you know them all (especially financial management). I put a little extra time in going over formulas so I wouldn't forget them. As for the written communications, I didn't even bother writing them much. I read through all of the examples in my review course and wrote 2 responses myself just to get a feel for it. I suggest doing the same and reading online about formatting and how to do those. They are quite simple.

I will say, BEC took me to the very last second to finish. I finished REG, FAR, and AUD with PLENTY of time to spare. Time management, based on my experience, is the most important for this section of the CPA exam. My final piece of advice is to not be lazy. If there is a topic you are not getting well, do not take your chances that it won't be tested. Put in the time/effort and it will pay off. As for the final two weeks, continue to practice MCQ's, sims, review lectures on material your not confident on, and make sure you know the formulas and how to apply them.

Good luck to you, I hope this helps!

-Matt

AUD - 86
    BEC - 95
    FAR - 85
    REG - 81
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"
    krstnam
    Participant

Make sure you Do the AICPA practice exam, i felt it gave me a strong advantage. Focus on the SIMS.
    My exam experience seemed much different than other posters here. My final weeks were spent on “heavily tested” items and it seemed like my questions were oddball stuff-things the text may only have mentioned once in a sub point somewhere.
    Good luck!

I'm going to be the person who says "I finished even though..." not the person who says "I didn't finish because..."

B - 77, 76

A - 57, 64, 72, 76!

R - 78, 72, 78!!! DONE

F - 54, 73, 71, 64, 69, 76!

DaKine256
    Participant

I passed BEC with a 96. I basically just did the entire Becker course in order, module by module– lectures, skills practice, MCQ (until I got 100% correct), and sims at the end of each module. I didn't use flashcards or buy Final Review. I did look over some Quizlet flashcards others created. For my “final review,” I re-read the textbook, did practice tests, re-worked all the MCQ I marked for my weakest units, along with some of the tougher sims from each unit, and took all the Becker mock exams and the AICPA practice exam. I took notes on each question I got wrong for practice tests and mock exams. For what it's worth, I failed all the mock exams (highest was a 71). But in my experience, Becker prepares you well for BEC. Good luck with the exam!

AUD - 86
    BEC - 96
    FAR - 91
    REG - 84
    Achievement Unlocked!
    nahlij
    Participant

Hey DaKine256, I wanted to ask you something because I usually do a similar approach (Lectures, skills, MCQ, sims).

My question: do you take a lot of notes AS you are going through the lecture? Because I feel like that extremely impacts how long the lectures take. I took notes on everything for FAR and it made me take really long to finish (Got an 80). For AUD, I didn't really take notes and it made me go through everything faster but I got an 83, and not high scores like yours. I was wondering if its better not take too much notes as your going thru the lecture?

NaHLiJ
    Maverick
    Participant

I haven't scored in the 90s yet but this approach has worked for me.

1. Read the chapter.
    2. Watch the video.
    3. Do the skills practice.
    4. Do the MCQs.

Then, one week before the exam (two weeks before REG and FAR), reread the entire book and redo all of the MCQs. I would only recommend doing the simulations for FAR and REG.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
    Maverick
    Participant

Notes are a terrible idea. The exam doesn't go deep enough to make notes necessary. Doing additional MCQs is more important than taking notes 24/7/365. However, if you are struggling with a certain section then I could possibly see it being justified.

AUD - 87
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 83
    REG - 88
    Studying with Becker.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.