FAR Study Group – Q1 2018

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 373 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    SONA
    Participant

Thanks.

AUD :56, 72, 77!
    FAR : 74, 77!
    BEC : 72, 75!
    REG : 72, 81!
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone!

I have been waiting for this day and just made an account a few minutes ago so I can communicate with others who are in the same boat as me. I received my Bachelor's degree in May of 2015, moved 600 miles away from my home, and have been working for a Public University. Only my boss and people above her have a CPA License but they’ve encouraged me to take on the beast.

I’ve decided to start with FAR and had it scheduled for January 6, but chickened out and changed it to February 24. I’ve always had terrible anxiety when it comes to exams so I need to feel very well prepared before possibly throwing away $200.

I am primarily using RogerCPA Review (one of my colleagues suggested it). I am incredibly nervous about the revenue recognition portion as I don’t see any updates in my course. Any suggestions on what I should do to learn this would be greatly appreciated!

I wish everyone good luck with studying and exams and I look forward to interacting with all of you!!!

tncpa2018
    Participant

I haven’t started FAR yet, planning to tackle this last. I’m just curious how long do you guys are planning to study for this beast? Is 60 days enough? I’m working full time, so I can only study 2-3 hours on weekdays and of course all day weekend (not more than 8 hours as I find it too exhausting if more than that).

I need to add that it’s been years since I graduated. It will be all like new to me. I also doesn't work in accounting field right now even though that is my degree.

AUD - 91
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 84
    REG - 88
    ”Success at anything will always come down to this: focus & effort. And we control both...” ~ The Rock
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@tncpa2018 – I am also working full time and I’m taking two graduate classes at the moment which are not in accounting. I know exactly how hard it is to fit everything in!

According to the RogerCPA Review study planner, if you are planning to complete all four exams within 6 months then you should plan to study for the FAR exam for about 8 weeks. It outlines exactly how one needs to be studying and what days to study on. Does your review course have something along these lines?

That being said, I was afraid that two days for a final review would not give me enough time to work through my problem areas and I am giving myself an extra four days to a week for this.

My advice to you (even though it may not be very helpful since I haven’t actually sat for an exam yet) is to take advantage of those weekends and even split up your day by doing some studying in the morning and some at night. Write down what you think might be problematic for you and bring your notes everywhere!

I hope this helps a little, best of luck to you!

tncpa2018
    Participant

Thanks @Bralein. I have a copy of the Roger guidelines from my coworker. Except those study guidelines didn’t work for me with AUD. And I don’t think it will work with BEC which I’m currently studying, so I doubt FAR will be any different.

Some topic are just a lot easier for me to grasp while other topics are giving me nose bleed.

8 weeks is about two months, and I’m with you in the final review phase. I plan to take a whole week vacation on the week leading up to the exam. The reason I’m asking now, in my work you have to submit vacation request in January or at least 120 days in advance to guarantee the chosen date. I plan to take BEC (Jan’18) and REG (Mar’18) and trying to plan on May‘18 for FAR but I’m not sure if this is enough time to study for FAR.

AUD - 91
    BEC - 82
    FAR - 84
    REG - 88
    ”Success at anything will always come down to this: focus & effort. And we control both...” ~ The Rock
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everybody,

I just finished my Masters of Accounting last week and have been studying for FAR since early Nov using Wiley. FAR is my first section. I am waiting to receive my NTS so haven't scheduled the exam yet. I was aiming for Feb 10 but right now all of the Prometric locations in my area don't have any availability that day. One of them has the morning of Feb 11 available, but I'm not a morning person, so waking up extra early on a Sunday to take the exam doesn't sound like fun! I am trying to decide if I can squeeze in enough review time to test a week earlier on Feb 3. I don't have much vacation time built up so I would rather not use a vacation day to take the exam. I also don't want to push it out until Feb 17 because I don't want to be studying during the Olympics!

I also work full-time in nonprofit/governmental accounting, and do find it difficult to fill every minute of my evenings and weekends with studying. I am managing to keep up with Wiley's schedule, but if I schedule my test for a week earlier than I originally planned I will have to find even more time to study and make up for that lost week of review.

I know I just started but I can't wait for this to be over.

itooshallpass
    Participant

@bralein I emailed Roger CPA about the updates and this is what they said: “Once the 2018 updates are released, you will have the option to upgrade your course to the 2018 material. At the end of the year, all online courses will automatically update to 2018 material. In regards to the textbooks, you will be able to download the course textbook updates from your student dashboard and print them out to place them along with your textbooks.”

FAR - 85 (12/17)
    AUD - 80 (1/18)
    REG - 83 (6/18)
    BEC - 85 (7/18)

Ethics - 95

DONE DONE DONE DONE

SONA
    Participant

Who is with me testing in January-2018? I have Roger CPA review and just took a print out of 3 month study planner, which gives 4 weeks to go through all the FAR study material. Assuming I will strictly follow the planner then it gives me good 2 weeks review time.

I found Roger CPA review good for Math oriented sections and Becker for theory oriented sections of the CPA exam.

Tncincy
    Participant

I'm in for Far, testing in January. I'm hoping to get it taken before the tax season get hectic.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

cpa2018
    Participant

Hoping to test for FAR towards the end of January by Jan 20th. Good luck to everyone and “happy” stuDYING! 🙂

SONA
    Participant

What material are you using guys? I am using roger and did govt. accounting need to do IPQs.

cpa2018
    Participant

Using WileyCPA Excel and the FAR book is a little overwhelming to say the least. Not sure what I will use for the final review days but will be taking notes as I go through the material.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Everyone!

FAR will be my first CPA exam, after speaking with co-workers who recommended I try to pass the it first. I am planning to take the exam either in February or beginning of March. I have been out of school for a while and work Full-time, so I am planning on studying 2 hrs a day and 4-6 hours during the weekend.

I am using WileyCPA and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to study for the exam?

SIYM4
    Participant

Using Ninja Plus + Ninja book. Highly recommend the plus videos if you're like me and learn from a lecture. Then I read the book. Anybody else doing this? Ready to get this damn thing over with!

I just wanna golf...
    Lili
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I'm still in MSA program, planned to graduate in the Summer of 2018. I'm currently work part-time, taking 3 MSA courses (final exam week, yay!), and taking care of my just turned 13-month old (today) daughter 24/7.

Am I wonder if it's too early for me to start to study FAR? I planned to take the Exam in the Fall of 2018. I already got the Wiley CPAexcel Review book, want to get Ninja Notes and MCQs, but it seems now we only can buy them as a bundle?

Good luck everyone!!

FAR - NINJA in training

AUD - NINJA in training

REG - NINJA in training

BEC - NINJA in training

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 373 total)
  • The topic ‘FAR Study Group – Q1 2018’ is closed to new replies.