4 weeks for FAR

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have only 4 weeks for prepare for FAR

Is it reasonable time to pass? how many study hour per normal day and during the weekend is suggested?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Lashifty
    Participant

Depends how much you remember from intermediate and advanced. I had to reteach myself EVERYTHING and took 2 months of learning and reviewing. Also was my first test so figuring out how to studied added way more time as I wasted time watching the lectures. Wasn't working and studied between 3 and 12 hours a day. It all depends how effective you are that day as some days I just wasn't feeling it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks…..any other opinions?

ng3926a
    Participant

Unless you're a genius and don't have a job, I'm going to say no. I'm retaking FAR Feb 18, giving myself for weeks to restudy and I'm not even sure if that's enough for a retake (I work full time).

AUD: 74, 75

BEC: 81

FAR: 64, 66, 76

REG: 84

martimann
    Participant

4 weeks is not enough time, I second the post above.

AUD - 76
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 73
    REG - 82
    Be all in or get out, there is no half way.

If you plan to do that, you need to start ASAP. Every minute from now until your exam needs to spent studying if you are able. I would suggest doing Government and NFP first before any other topic seeing that is a large portion of the exam. I sit for FAR next week and have been studying since mid October. I am still in college and am double majoring in Finance, but I probably spend 95% of the time studying as opposed to doing school work.

Also, FAR covers a ton of information. The best way to learn everything is to be able to practice the material over and over. This will be difficult to do in a short period of time.

You'll often see many people ask how much time they should spend per day. It is honestly based on if you know the material. Unfortunately, I think a lot of candidates lie to themselves and say they are ready to take these exams, when they aren't truly prepared to the extent they need to be.

Just my experience. You just need to study hard if you plan to do that.

A1lessio
    Participant

I'm sure people have done it, but for me no way. Far is brutal and covering the information that fast sounds like tourture. The questions are always long winded and involve calculations.

AUD - 86
    BEC - 70
    FAR - 78
    REG - 84
    People who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to obtain a goal are the happiest of men.

AUD (08/02/2016)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Honestly a Month is not enough time for any of these exams, unless u really work your tail off. I'm sure a few people pull it off, but most of us do not.

tg7174
    Participant

I think 6 weeks is the least amount of time needed: 4 weeks for study and 2 weeks for review. 4 weeks isn't enough UNLESS you can study full time. If you work full time, then I would not recommend it. Personally I did 8 weeks for FAR and would have liked at least 1 more week.

AUD 83
    BEC 78
    FAR 78
    REG 74, 79
    Anonymous
    Inactive

thank guys

The problem is that it is a “must” to take the FAR in 4 weeks

Missy
    Participant

Get at least 40 hours per week of studying in no matter what it takes and 4 weeks may be possible but I wouldn't count on it.

Old timer,  A71'er since 2010.

Finance manager/HR manager

Licensed Massachusetts Non Reporting CPA since 2012
    Finance/Admin/HR Manager

Jdn9201
    Participant

Everyone is different but yes it's possible. Thought I'd share my experience and hope that it helps. I took and passed FAR in Feb 2016 and I did it in 3 weeks (19 days). I worked full time and studied at home about 80 hours total. I also was able to listen to alot of the lectures while working which saved time at home to work mcqs. I would say 75% of the topics, the video lectures were enough (I used Roger). I only read the book on areas that were harder for me to understand. I'm not sure what your background is, but I work in tax (9 years at the time) and consider myself to be very strong in financial accounting (JE's especially). I had previously taken and passed my other 3 exams studying about 100 hours over 4-6 weeks. FAR was my last exam and I was just so over the process and wanted to be done. Don't let other people scare you by how much time they studied or mcqs hey completed – again, everyone is different. I tried to focus on efficiency and squeezing as much high quality learning as I could out of every hour. That meant prioritizing my time based on the AICPA outline and making sure that I focused on WHY an answer was correct or incorrect for every mcq I did. Doing thousands of questions is overrated if you don't go through this process, in my opinion. Also, do not neglect the authoritative literature. Maybe I just got lucky but I got bailed out multiple times during SIMS that i had little clue on only because I knew how to look up the guidance/rules in the AL. I will also add that one advantage of studying over a short window is it cuts your review time down because you forget less info. As far as study time each day – it varied for me. My goal was 2-3 chapters a day but some days were slower than that. Since it was my last exam, I already had a good feel for the process and knew when it was ok for me to move on vs spending more time on a topic. I would say if you have a strong finance background, have passed other exams, and can gamble with both the extra fees and extra time if you have to retake it, then take a shot at 4 weeks.

BEC - 88 8/29/15
    REG - 82 11/14/15
    AUD - 83 1/8/16
    FAR - 80 2/29/16

rhayder
    Participant

If it's a must take, then don't waste time asking if it is possible. Just do it and start doing MCQS.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 89
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 88
    -
    Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks guys…..I will do it

eaglescpa
    Participant

I passed FAR in 3-4 weeks of studying, working FT. I was in a situation where I needed to squeeze in an attempt at FAR in Q4 so I could retake Aud in Q1 2017. I used NINJA MCQ and the NINJA NOTES exclusively. I threw up a hail mary and came down with a pass. I don't recommend doing what I did unless you remember a lot from school. I was surprised at how much I remembered from college. I hammered GOV AND NFP

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

A - 85 - 1/14/17,67
    B - 78 - 8/31/16
    F - 79 - 12/10/16
    R - 75 - 7/29/16

Licensed 3/22/17

Scared-cpa
    Participant

I haven't read all of the above posts so I apologize if I am repeating anyone, but I agree that 4 weeks isn't enough time. FAR was the first exam I took and I began studying the same time I started graduate school. It took me 3 months from beginning to sitting. I did not utilize all of my time efficiently, but there is also a learning curve when you study for your first section. I really don't think 4 weeks is long enough for any section but definitely not FAR. There is just too much material to know, absorb, and understand. If you sit in four weeks you will probably be doing a retake. If you do sit in four weeks, however, I hope you prove me wrong! I just don't want to suger coat the reality of the situation for you to spend extra time and money if you don't have to. Take a little longer, be better prepared, and go in there and kick its butt in 6 or 8 weeks! 🙂

"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

FAR - 67, 82 (Expires 07/31/18)
    AUD - 68, 79
    REG - 75
    BEC - 82

Wiley CPAexcel + Ninja

I cannot believe I am done.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.