49 yes old-need encouragement!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeanoncc
    Participant

I am now, 25 years after college and now that kids are grown, ready to take this test. I have no support system and already feel discouraged and daunted.

Please tell me it’s not too late. My dream is to eventually work for myself. I am not interested in big firms or big corporate. I want to set up the schedule I want and do what I enjoy. I would be content being a bookkeeper, but I feel that I need to pass this test. I am currently working full-time in a government position and I can get certified if I pass this difficult test. I don’t want to work here forever, as I am not very happy here. My confidence is so lacking right now, which is yet another reason I feel I should pass.

I am divorced and alone and I want to have a good, solid career. I am starting over now. I can use some encouragement more than anything right now.

Any words of wisdom and encouragement would be greatly appreciated right now.

Jean

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Excel14
    Participant

@Jeanoncc:

I'm in a similar boat. I will be 54 this year, and circumstances prevented me from pursuing this endeavor long ago. I read on this site all of the time, about the “older crowd” succeeding, so I'm sure betting on it not being too late. I don't know what direction my life is taking myself, but I would certainly say don't let your age be a deterrent. It's difficult finding the enthusiasm/drive to study after a long day's work, but I guess we have to keep reminding ourselves of the prize at the end. By the way, government employee here also.

What do they call an accounting person, who only managed a 75 on all four parts of the CPA exam....you got it, CPA!!!

BEC (2/28/16) ----- 78
    FAR (09/10/16)-----
    AUD
    REG

CIA, CGAP, CFE

ctiger
    Participant

Don't be discouraged. I am 54 years old and I passed all four parts of the exams in February this year. You can't do it!

Jeanoncc
    Participant

Thank you very much for your reply. Ctiger, I know you mean that I can do it. 🙂 Just seeing your success stories helps. I get discouraged so darn easily!!!!!

Le
    Participant

If you study steadily, you will pass. I am 53 and I just passed all 4 sections in my first try in March 2017. I spent at least 2-3 hours everyday to study with Wiley CPAexcel during last 9 months.

AUD - 91
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 89
    REG - 85
    LE
    Jeanoncc
    Participant

Thank you! This is my plan. I am using Wiley and just bought Gleim test bank since they have more Sims. I will study at coffee shop every night after work.

Le
    Participant

If you finished CPAexcel test bank, you should subscribe Ninja MCQ for Audit and BEC and Gleim sim test bank for REG. They helped me a lot in the exams.

AUD - 91
    BEC - 87
    FAR - 89
    REG - 85
    LE
    Wanna_B_TXCPA2014
    Participant

@OP no it's not to late. Your situation means you have little to no time for self doubt or procrastinating. If you put the time in to gain the knowledge, who can stop you? I've seen posts from ppl in their 60-70s on this site that have passed. So get motivated, get your study materials, get your passing scores, and become an inspiration for someone else!

Jeanoncc
    Participant

Wise words. What is to stop me now but myself? I have to fight the self doubt. If anything my motivation is to show my sons and example of determination.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can pass the exam, but I'm not sure exactly how helpful it will be to obtain the goals/outcome you want.

The main reason for anyone to pass the exam is to obtain a position in public accounting or with a private firm.

If you are looking to start your own company, a CPA isn't necessarily required or needed in my opinion.

As for bookkeeping, online software and technology is making the bookkeeper increasingly obsolete where small business owners have the capability to do it themselves or use bank feeds to make it very easy.

My honest opinion is that the CPA is a grossly overrated certification.

If I were 49, I would not spend my time studying day in and out for this exam. Rather I would start my own online business, either an online store selling goods or a digital marketing company. With affiliate marketing and the ability to easily create your own webpage and content, the market for this is BOOMING.

However, if you are set on starting your own accounting firm, the CPA can help with reputation and building a relationship with local banks, etc., though again, it's not necessarily required or needed…especially considering online marketing and the ability to reach millions of potential customers online.

Tncincy
    Participant

You can do it! I agree with all but one, but if you want to become a CPA get it done. I am now 51, I started this journey when I was 49. I do own my own business (20 years of experience) and the CPA will bring the value to my business other than tax preparation (my opinion). I have started and stopped because I get drawn into my husband and grown college children lives. Yes, I have had the posts rebuking me to get my own life, study, have a better plan and blah blah blah. Oh this is about you and not me, so I would say go for it. Make your schedule, stick with it as much as possible and get it done. I believe the euphoria is going to be just as real and exciting as the others are saying. I hope to be done before they decide to change the test again.

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader.....time to pass

It begins with a 75
    Been here too long as a cheerleader....ready to pass

Jeanoncc
    Participant

I really appreciate all who took the time to respond. It is something that I really want to do. Thank you for the encouraging words which I will put into action.

maxb
    Participant

I have to agree with Bricknell. If this is something you want for yourself and your personal satisfaction, then go for it. However, the CPA is not a magic bullet. You have a good job with the government that is recession proof and safe. Be thankful and just plan for retirement. I don't see how a CPA will be all that beneficial at this point career wise. Opening up one's own shop is difficult and with artificial intelligence, it is making alot of those low skill accounting jobs obosolete. I think moving forward, if you want to open your own CPA shop, your going to have to be able to provide high end, high value consulting type work. THe days of payroll, bookkeeping, tax returns is slowly coming to an end. It's great to have aspirations but to potentially quit a good job (whether you like it or not), for the complete unknown of your own CPA shop is extremely risky, expecially when your talking aboaut doing bookkeeping. Like Bricknell mentioned, I don't see that being feasible moving forward. Good Luck!

Excel14
    Participant

I certainly am not trying to cause a debate, and I'm not arguing that venturing out to start a CPA firm is the way to go, but as a government employee for 25 years now, I can certainly refute the “recession proof and safe” point. That is definitely not true.

What do they call an accounting person, who only managed a 75 on all four parts of the CPA exam....you got it, CPA!!!

BEC (2/28/16) ----- 78
    FAR (09/10/16)-----
    AUD
    REG

CIA, CGAP, CFE

Jeanoncc
    Participant

I do understand the advice regarding it being a waste of time. In my case, if I pass the test I can obtain the CPA designation in my current job. It can only benefit me. My idea is to do Bookkeeping/tax services when I retire from this job, as I will be working for a long time and I want to set myself up in the best way possible. Passing the CPA can't hurt, as I won't have to explain why I didn't do it.i have been asked that question many times.

My real struggle is fighting the defeating words and since I have no support system, it is nice to hear from others who are older like me who have done it.

I am betting that if I were younger I might say the same thing, as 49 seems old in the 20s. But now I am in a different place. I just really want to do it and somehow combat the negative self talk of it being a waste of time.

This thread has helped me to be even more committed.

Thank you!!

jeff
    Keymaster

This may be encouraging…

Video: Is 34 Too Old to Take the CPA Exam?

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 76
    REG - 92
    Jeff Elliott, CPA (KS)
    NINJA CPA | NINJA CMA | NINJA CPE | Another71
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.