5 fails…..

• Creator
    Topic
    Needs Advice
    Participant

While I have been fortunate to have passed three of the four parts, I cannot figure out how to pass FAR (48, 60, 70, 72, 68). I have used everything available in both Wiley (Platinum) and Ninja (12-point combo) and can’t seem to find a way to pass. If I don’t pass by 8/31 I start losing credit for sections and the domino effect could reset me entirely. How are people passing this section with such high scores let alone at all??? This is so discouraging. I had zero problems in college with these concepts.

I HAVE a life now.

AUD - Passed

BEC - Passed

FAR - Passed

REG - Passed

BEC: 7/31/16 (Awaiting Results)
    AUD: 9/8/16
    REG: 10/22/16
    FAR: 12/3/16

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    nickdubberly
    Participant

Are you going through the material as if you have never done it before? I have taken FAR 3 times. 1st time went through all of Becker + Ninja MCQ's, got a 71. Second time around I simply used Becker's Final Review + Ninja Platinum or whatever the most expensive one was at the time thinking all I needed to do was “brush-up” got a 72. Frustrated and figured I needed to re-do the whole damn thing and stick to one program I used Wiley CPA Excel regular edition and got an 80 this time around. I highly recommend walking up to it like you have never studied it before. Better to say you over did it. GOOD LUCK!

Signatures are overrated.
    fwesley
    Participant

I passed on my 4th try. I completely agree with Nick. I first studied the sections I was weaker at and improved a point. Then I realized that didn’t work so I started over as if I hadn’t studied before. 73 to 81 with a pass.

Make sure to do the AICPA practice tests they have a lot of great concepts that get reinforced before test day.

I know it’s discouraging but you can do it!

AUD - 77
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 81
    REG - 78
    Ethics 91

4 years, $10,000 and counting...

READY TO BE DONE! ... C'mon BEC!

FAR: 65 (still drying my tears) 2nd attempt: 7/2016
    BEC: 81 5/2016 (WOO FIRST PASS!)
    REG: 5/2016
    AUD: 8/2016

satyakatiwal
    Participant

Demo , Nick has said it all. First line itself is profound. Check my signature just like you I still believe I knew the concept.in last quarter I convinced myself let me study FAR as if I am not an accounting graduate and moved from 59 to 74.
    Last time I had committed a mistake in calculations in first field which wronged all subsequent fields due to addition, I found out at last moment and missed the 75.
    This time I got 80.
    Change your review whatever you are using because that’s not working for u.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 87
    REG - 81
    Satya Kantiwal

FAR ( 68,59,60,60,74, 87)

Pokey
    Participant

I just received my 5th fail on AUD 68,71,74,71 and now a 61!!! how is that even possible. I see so many people saying its the easiest and usually pass on their first try. I know how fast your heart is beating before you see your score and then complete devastation when the grade appears. I feel your pain and heartbreak.

I have used Gleim and Ninja, spent days off work/nights/weekends/hours during work and still cannot pass. I hope whoever can give some insight on how to study more efficiently, can help us both. Good luck on next try, I really hope you pass, you're so close.

A - 79
    F - 77
    R - 83
    B - 75

AUD - 74 (3x), TBD
    BEC - Sept16
    FAR - TBD
    REG - TBD

Jstew
    Participant

Have you tried using the AICPA blueprints? Go over the blueprints and if there is an area that you think would give you trouble on the exam, go over that more thoroughly. It also tells you what potential SIMS may be depending on if it is susceptible to be tested for analysis or not.

Perseverance is key
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Its okay – FAR Was the biggest one I struggled with. I agree with above, weaker points but also studying all the way over from a to b. I would first push off my weak areas like oh they wont be on the test – oh but they of course were. Do not worry I failed FAR similarly a bunch of times 62, 71, 67, 70, 70, 73 THEN PASSED with a 79! Do not give up. I just found out i passed my last exam yesterday (reg) after going at this thing for a few years.

Needs Advice
    Participant

Thank you all for the insight. I have always started from the beginning with my materials after every fail, but I always seem to run out of time and have to cut out some things with FAR. All the other sections I could watch all the videos, read all the books, do EVERY MCQ and SIM, but with FAR it just seems to go so much slower and take so much longer to get through the same sort of tasks. I end up cutting out videos and just reading or stop taking notes because of how long it is taking. While distractions are always an issue, I feel like it the sheer amount of information that I need to cover from start to finish that ruins me for this section. If I get behind even one day it snowballs for me and then I stress out about making things up which then puts me in a spiral of stress. It always seems to take two to three times longer to get through everything. AUD, BEC, and REG did not feel like their MCQs or SIMS were that lengthy so I could cover 100 questions in like 25-30 min. Most of the stuff was “look at the question and either you know it or you don't”. Other then a few sections in FAR, most of it study wise feels like it takes forever, like 20 questions takes 2 hours or more. I also feel like I spend a large amount of time trying to fully understand and master some of the most complex elements that never show up on the exam and it causes me to forget or overthink the basics.

I HAVE a life now.

AUD - Passed

BEC - Passed

FAR - Passed

REG - Passed

CPYAYYY
    Participant

@demo are you using Becker?

Studying for the CPA exam is easy. Its like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire. And the ground is on fire. And everything is on fire. Because you're in H-E Double hockey sticks

Needs Advice
    Participant

@Kiran89 No, Wiley and Ninja.

I HAVE a life now.

AUD - Passed

BEC - Passed

FAR - Passed

REG - Passed

OTK1995
    Participant

The last time I took it, I started with the sections I wasn't very good at. I went through the MCQ first, then the Becker application sims, and if I needed a little more help, I would look at the lectures. When I did my MCQ's, I also added random sections so I would stay fresh on the stuff I wasn't actively looking at. I found that doing the MCQ and the Application sims helps solidify what was being asked of me. Towards the end, I added the Wiley MCQ database so I didn't inadvertently find myself just memorizing the answers.

B - 75 (exp 9/2010) , 76 (11/2016)

A - 69, 89 (exp 9/2010), 73, 83 (3/2018)

R - 76 (exp 1/2011), 77 (5/2018)

F - 74, 69, (11/2010), 69 (11/2016), 71, 86 (12/2017)

Ethics: 93 (6/28/2018)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would start with topics you are shaky on (Ninja MCQ is very good at flushing that out). Then go through the SIMS and refer to the AICPA blueprint-it really does give you representative topics and tasks that will be on exam. Look for application and analysis especially as those will be SIMS. Toward the end, i made myself write about any topic in my own words, with JEs-that really helped me be more confident in my knowledge Good luck-you can do this! You have time to nail this one down!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sometimes less is more. I took 30 pages of notes for FAR all of which I understood perfectly, and promptly scored my lowest ever (60). I still believe that about 200 flash cards, including how to do certain calculations like inventory methods and bond amortization, is all you really need (for a 75 at least haha).

And I'll repeat this as well: studying does NOT have to be torture/abuse.

Again, my two cents, and not to take the p*** from anyone else's method.

Anonymous
    Inactive

p.s. 81 on BEC today. 🙂

Everyone is different, so I hope someone will find my advice/approach helpful.

CPA
    Participant

Hi @Demo,
    actually I am using only becker for CPA, and I got 95 in far ,, however I recommend you to practice and review becker mcqs and simulation as much as you can without reading the book and always try to read all the explanation because the point that you didn't tested directly while you practice you can master it by reading explanantion.
    Good luck

🙂
    ds34168
    Participant

How was your time management for FAR exam? For me, Gleim worked well! I passed FAR on my 4th try, and for the first 3 attempts, I had problem finishing up the exam because it took me so long on the MCs and on 2-3 SIMS. Then I used Gleim test bank, I only practice their MCs and SIMS (I didn't re-read the book or re-study any sections). I found that their questions really helped me get used to the lengthy reading and get familiar with key concepts of each question.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 78
    FAR - 84
    REG - 76
    AUD (Rogers + Ninja MCQ)

BEC (Rogers)

FAR (Rogers + Ninja MCQ + Gleim test bank)

REG (Rogers)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.