50+ Years Old – In The Game - Page 2

• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Me..
  • Creator
    Topic
    TooOld
    Participant

I am aware that many people have written in this forum about their experiences in order to motivate others. I don’t think the forum needs one more motivational story from me. However, I would like to speak with you about the mindset during my preparation, perhaps some people might find it beneficial.

WARNING! This writing may reference religious phrases; thus, for those that this is not their cup of tea, please exit.

I am over 50 years of age and English Language is not my first language. I went to the wrong schools (i.e., not the BIG 4 Schools, rather to a Community College and a Third Tier State University). But I was a good student, nonetheless. My experience with Intermediate Account Classes was during summers, while I was doing my MBA in 2001 & 2002. Two summers, each consisting of 8 weeks –Intermediate I, and II plus other required classes.

I did not learn anything significantly important during these summers; I was going through the motion just to get the credit. I never thought I would ever sit for a CPA exam; therefore, I was not interested in learning the ropes of accounting. In fact, I was never taught JE in the States Universities, nor did I ever learn JE in my University years. I knew the simple equation of A = L + E, but I could not tell you the reason this equation exited. In short, I could not tell you how some items in the Income Statements affected the Balance Sheet. Put it simply, I was an educated idiot.

By 2013, I was already married and had two kids, and no stable job since I graduated from college.

Then I was appointed to be a treasurer of a nonprofit organization because of my degree. This was not a paid position. I found out quickly that I would be doing everything that was accounting and/or reporting. It became abundantly clear in a short period of time that the rest of the Board Members did not understand the requirements governing the nonprofit activities; they depended on me to guide them. At this point, it hit me hard that I had to learn something very quickly, otherwise the nonprofit would collapse. I started by reading the basic principles of Bookkeeping, while at the same time guiding the Board on management matters. Once I understood the concept of double entry bookkeeping, I bought a QuickBooks desktop version for the NonProfit organizations. I read everything that I could get my hands on about how to use Qbk. I became semi-literate using the software. Finally, we had software to track donations and manage the donors’ relation. Next, I had to learn to file the Forms that would allow IRS to issue a “Determination Letter”. This Form is called 1023. This was by far my greatest achievement at the time. While doing all of these, I was also preparing payroll for 15 fulltime and part time staff, on a monthly basis, and filing the quarterly Form 941 as well. Initially, I did not have any clue about what to do, or how to do them, but with the help of internet, I was able to learn fast.

With all the trouble that I went through and came out alive without making a fool of myself; I started thinking that perhaps I should crank this adventure up a little more. Then the crazy idea came to me…that perhaps I could sit for the CPA exam.

I researched all the available CPA review courses in the market and I decided to choose Yeager’s FAR course. The reason for purchasing this course was not to study and sit for the CPA Exam, but rather to actually learn the Immediate Accounting that I did not learn earlier during my school years. It took me 1.5 years to study the materials cover to cover.

After learning this material, I was still between jobs in my own personal life, but working very hard at the nonprofit; so at some point, I took time off from studying. When I was ready to get back into the game, this time as a CPA candidate, I bought the Gleim course premium package, “access until you pass”. Someone with my background would need this type of insurance policy.

I studied FAR with Gleim for about one year, then sat for the exam and I passed with a 76. The countdown to finish the exam without losing a credit was now in effect. Next, because I did not have that much of a background in Audit (I only had an Audit course in the same Community College during a summer when I was taking the Intermediate Accounting and doing my MBA), so I knew I had to devote a significant amount of time studying Audit material for the CPA exam. I studied for it for 6 months, and I came out with a 75 score.

Next, I prepped for REG, and I tried to beat the time table before AICPA switched to the 50/50 format. I studied for it for about 5 months. I failed it with a score of 72. In fact, it was a blessing that I failed it because the second time around, I really understood the material and I could speak on the subject with some intelligent.

Next, I set aside REG and studied for BEC for 5 months, and I got 78 score. I came back to REG which I had failed. At this point, FAR was due to expire on January 31st of 2018. I studied for this behemoth called REG from August 6th 2017 until January 22nd of 2018. The result came out on March 8th and I had a score of 85.

WHAT I LEARNED ON THIS JOURNEY
    1) We are each blessed one way or another in our lives. Some people are blessed that they went to the right schools. Some were blessed that they had a mentor in their life. Some people were blessed with brain power. Some people were blessed with a great family. And, some people were blessed to get the right type of questions in their CPA exams (very few people I might say). Therefore, becoming a CPA or any other professional license is a blessing in a way. We have to accept the fact that we cannot all be Doctors, and neither can we all be CPAs. We have to look into our lives and appreciate those things with which we were blessed.

2) For the MAJORITY of the CPA candidates, this exam process will be gruesome , sickening, and revolting. The journey is grueling. Therefore, when someone posts a comment on this forum that seems to indicate he/she finished the 4 parts exams in 6 months, good for them. But do not compare yourself to them. They probably went to the right schools, or they probably were blessed with brain power that allowed them to understand these materials better and faster than the average Joe. Do not fall for the concept of studying 150 hrs and then believed you were prepared. You have to be honest with yourself about your ability. Compare yourself to yourself, and not to someone else. Ask yourself, am I making any progress? Evaluate yourself to determine if you are constantly learning new material that you did not understand before. If you answer YES to these questions, then you have been blessed, and you could be a CPA. You just need to give the CPA Process the RESPECTS that it deserved….i.e., working the Process harder than anything that you have ever done in your life.

3) I also believe that if you work very hard, God will not let you down. For the majority of the candidates this is an accurate statement. If you studied very hard, and you were able to comprehend and internalized the material, God will not let you down. But be warned!! Do not try to take a shortcut. Do not talk to yourself and convince yourself that you are studying harder, by comparing yourself to someone else who studied only for 3 weeks and passed. And, do not believe that the 3 weeks of studying by someone else should be a standard that is applicable to you too. Now, if you did everything correctly, and you still did not pass a single section, I believe that your blessings lie somewhere else and not in a CPA. It is possible that other blessings in your life are much more rewarding than being a CPA, which you have not yet reflected upon. I myself wanted to be a Computer Science Major. But I could never understand Visual Basics. I failed this class many times. I gave it everything that I got, but I could not understand it, so I moved on to Business Courses.

4) You must appeal to a higher power greater than you, if you are a believer. To me, I appealed to Allah. I supplicated to Him a lot. I sought for His guidance and strength. I understood that if I were blessed and be amongst those to be titled as a CPA, that this favor given to me was a covenant or trust between He and I. I prayed to Him to guide me, so I could handle the covenant in a manner that was pleasing to Him. I understood that I could never appear arrogance and look down upon others for they were never given this precious gift. And, I must be humble when wearing my new title. But most importantly, I must use this blessing, trust, or gift for a good cause also…such as giving back to the community.
    Peace!!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    sacpa
    Participant

@CPATooleTime: Sorry about your Mom. It's great that you are continuing your CPA journey after so many changes in your life. All the best for FAR!

@tncpa2018
    : With 3 sections passed, I am sure you will pass FAR too. All the best for FAR!

Hope there is a way for us all to get together so we can interact at a much closer level studying, sharing, venting & what not!

Winners don't quit. Quitters don't win.

FAR - < than 75, 10/2013, 2/2015
    BEC - < than 75, 10/2013
    AUD - < than 75, 8/2015, 1/2016

~ Winners fail until they succeed. Losers quit when they fail. - Robert Kiyosaki
    ~ I survived because the fire inside burned brighter than the fire around me.
    ~ Something will grow from all you are going through. And it will be YOU.
    ~ Right now you may not be where you intend to be, but it's where you need to be in order to get where you want to go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@TooOld – Now THIS is the kind of post I like seeing on here. My amazement is not so much over your passing the CPA exams, but what you went through in your nonprofit accounting job – I hope they eventually started paying you! Not many accountants work in nonprofit, but it's always been an area that's interested me and I wouldn't mind working in one sometime. So long as they paid me what staff accountants usually get for a salary. Actually many non-profits have big budgets…it's just that usually the donation dollars and other sources of “money coming in” go towards paying the employees and not to the actual cause.

I'm 42 this year. Not young. I started my accounting career only 3-4 years ago, after 10 years in the financial services industry, and another career even before that! I got myself back into school at age 34 – took Accounting 1 and 2 (the lowest of the accounting courses) at a community college, along with Quickbooks. Also took Intermediate at community college, and eventually earned a second bachelor's degree in accounting. Like you, I did not even consider the CPA exam until later – for me, it was in about the last year or so of my 4 years of studies. By then I was taking advanced accounting and auditing and other courses and the instructors were teaching everything to us, with the assumption that we were all going to be sitting for the CPA exam. So, I just fell into it. Let's face it – to be “older” and doing these exams is not easy, like you say. It can be downright awful, coming home from work at night and putting in 3 hours of studies. When you're in your 20s, you don't think about it, you just do it, and because your brain has far fewer miles on it, it's far easier. And yes, comparing yourself against a 26 year old who works at B4 who knocks all 4 out during busy season is not even remotely valid. It definitely took me awhile to realize that “No, Leon, you are not a dumbass. You're just in a different boat.” I can't even say this forum really helped with that. If anything, it made it worse. But, eventually – after not being on here for many months – I figured it out. But, this forum is good in other ways.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. I hope it reaches other people who are in the “Over 40” crowd!

TooOld
    Participant

@CPATooleTime:
    I am sorry that you had to go through such a difficult emotional journey. For those of us that did not experience this type of hardship, we can only speculate how difficult this has been on you. Stay strong!

As for your earlier attempts on the exam, I will advise you to block out whatever your prior experience might be that will negatively impact your current ability to prep. Talk to yourself that the earlier attempts were just a trial run and they did not represent whom you are when you operate on a full capacity.

Good luck to you.

TooOld
    Participant

@tncpa2018:
    Thank you for your kind words.

With one section left for you to go, my prayers to you, so that this long journey will come to a successful ending for you.

Best of luck to you.

TooOld
    Participant

@crazyleon:
    You and I have very similar background. You got it right when you said, no one is dumb; it is only that our different life experiences either help to make some tasks easier for us, or the path to achieving those goals become challenging. Those of us with some challenges, our number task is to make up for the lost time or the lack of adequate early preparation. Once we bring ourselves to par with others, then the journey to achieving the same goal becomes a little bit bearable.

Stay strong!

Peace!

anmore
    Participant

Needed this today! 52 this year and really want to get my CPA. Have to get my experience verified soon as both partners I worked for are in their late 50's-60's. Hopefully they will sign off (I did quit in tax season – February – but gave a month's notice). Does anyone know if they are they required to sign off in NYS as long as the requirements were met?

Thanks for the motivation, guys and gals.

Your poor planning is not my emergency. My poor planning is!
    TooOld
    Participant

@anmore:
    I don't think they are required by law, but if you asked for it and they refused to sign off, I would suggest that you report the matter to your state's Board of Accountancy.

As for you wanting to do this at 52, yes you can!!

Go get them!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am so motivated now, thanks for sharing your journey. May Allah continue to bless and guide you inshallah.

anmore
    Participant

@tooold: I work in corp accounting and moonlight during tax season for another company. I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but do you think I should start with FAR as well? Or REG on the chance my 25+ years of tax experience will help? TIA!

Your poor planning is not my emergency. My poor planning is!
    TooOld
    Participant

@anmore:

Although questions on the subject matter might have been asked too many times, the answers are not always clear cut. The answer that is correct depends on the uniqueness of the individual.

For some candidates, they need immediate gratification in order to keep the momentum going; so they start with a section that he/she perceived to be less challenging (because of the individual's life experiences). For others, the motivation is found by first knocking out the most challenging section of the exam to them. I fall into the latter category. I knew I had a very good chance of completing all four sections, if I could ever pass FAR. Otherwise, I would keep trying to pass FAR without the fear of losing any credit yet. The danger with starting with the easy section first is that, should you run into trouble passing a difficult section, your clock to pass it does not stop. Remember, some people may have to sit for a difficult section multiple times before passing…hence, they run out of time.

This is one of the reasons some candidates lose credits on the sections that they had passed earlier.

As you can see, there is no one correct way of doing it. But I would assume that the safer way to protect your hard earned credits is to start with the most difficult part.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

TooOld
    Participant

@Attagyal:
    Thank you for your duaa.

InshaAllah, stay focus, cut out major distractions in your life, and make duaa for strength, and you will see success beyond your imagination. Let this be the thing that occupy your thinking, day and night.

Salaam (Peace)!

Akashi
    Participant

OMG, I feel sooo inspired with all the stories above. I am 46 and have been working as a Financial Analyst since 9 years. I have been out of school for about 10 years. I have an MBA/ACC. I started studying seriously for CPA using Gleim in 2016. I passed BEC on the first try and subsequently passed REG & AUD at 2 tries each. I have already failed FAR twice. Lately I have been feeling really depressed that what am I doing struggling with CPA at this age. But after the stories above, my doubts have cleared. I am feeling extremely motivated. A biiiiig shout out to all my cpa buddies above. Thank you so much for ur motivational posts.

Utpal

Jodie
    Participant

Me too, I am over 50+ and being a CPA used to be my dream. Unfortunately, with all family responsibilities in life, never able to study for it. Now, I am free (almost free), I think I should put this one on my bucket list. Thank you everyone for the encouragement.

Better Late Than Never!

Me.
    Participant

Hello everybody!

I finally became a CPA 1 year ago at age 54! I went back to school and finished a BS in 2011. I started as an Auditor with State Government, started a Masters program and also started the CPA…long story short, I finished the Masters at the end of 2015, the CPA end of 2017, licensed February of 2018. It was a 5 year journey for me…1 pass, 1 expired and many retakes…DO NOT GIVE UP! Was it worth it? Yes! It was a personal goal/challenge. Did it pay off? Yes! I left State Government went into Private with a $15K bump in pay. Best to all of you!

REG - 50, 64, 73, 76
    FAR - 67, 65, 67 Ugh!!!
    BEC - 65
    AUD - November 30

"You just can't beat the person who never gives up." -Babe Ruth

Recked
    Participant

So you traded a state employee pension for $15k salary increase?
    Bold moves! Are you happy with the move so far?

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.