6 hour Audit exam at Prometric! Should I ask to retake?

• Creator
    Topic
    mabel
    Participant

So I just took the longest CPA exam of my life yesterday! As I was wrapping up my 2nd MCQ testlet, there was a brief power outage causing my computer to restart. About a dozen testers were instructed to head to the lobby while they attempted to restore our tests. After about an hour, the Prometric staff finally surfaced to say they were still working on the issue but they gave us a ticket number to reschedule if we didn’t want to wait for an undetermined amount of time. However, they couldn’t tell us if we would need a new NTS to reschedule and they wouldn’t let us use our phones to call and confirm. I decided to wait it out since NASBA isn’t issuing new NTSs for the next few weeks and my REG and BEC exam credits expire next testing window. Finally, after 2 hours, they were able to restore our tests. Needless to say, I was freaking out during this whole ordeal, wondering if my progress was lost, if my time would be cut short, if I would need to reapply and retake my test next testing window, losing my REG and BEC credit in the process. A 15-30 minute pause would’ve been fine, even welcomed, but 2 hours was extremely stressful and made an already long test 50% longer…
    Question: Do you guys think I should contact NASBA to ask for retake of Audit this testing window? The disruption completely messed up my flow and caused unnecessary stress in the middle of the exam. I felt like I was prepared for the exam, trending in the 80s on Ninja MCQ and I scored a 75 and 81 on my practice exams. However, if I don’t pass, I lose credit for 2 exams… the only downfall in asking for a retake is that I’m sitting for a FAR retake on March 9 (failed with a 73 last testing window) so it would definitely cut into my already short timespan to restudy over the next 2 weeks.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 93
    REG - 79
    FAR is a boss!
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    rencpa
    Participant

Decision is yours.

However, if you decide to ask NASBA for anything, you have only 5 days from the day you took the exam. It means you have only 3 more days. Speaking from a personal experience (problems with the Prometric)

Yes, they do reissue a “free” NTS if they find one eligible. Just keep in mind that it takes them forever to send you one! (around 2 months)

As per NASBA:
    “…if you should experience any difficulties related to taking a section of the examination as it states in the Candidate Bulletin as well as on the Confirmation of Attendance please contact NASBA’s Candidate Care Department within 5 days of taking the exam. In doing so, your situation would then be evaluated to determine if you would be eligible for a free retest.”

Good luck!

"Self-trust is the first secret of success" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
    aaronmo
    Participant

OK…let me tell you what my experience was…and this is a bit anecdotal on the part of the other person, so take it with a grain…

During REG, my computer crashed four times. They tried to say the clock wasn't affected, but it was…not even counting that I had to use exam time just to regain composure. Another person who I took Becker with also had the problem. We were given a form to send to NASBA. Both of us sent this “there was a problem” form to NASBA.

I received just a form reply and it said, basically, we'll look into it and get back to you. They never did.

The other person got a notice back to reschedule.

I passed. He didn't.

My conjecture is…they looked at the exams. If they think you may have failed, they send a reschedule offer.

This is conjecture.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86
    Aaron and always remember, YMMV

I profit from your CPE frustration. You're welcome.

Anonymous
    Inactive

While I sympathize with your situation (two hours to recover from a simple power outage? what a bunch of incompetents), there's no way you'd be allowed to retake it in the same testing window. Just no way.

mabel
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, all! Sounds like there’s no harm in asking about my options, whether it’s rescheduling, hopefully this testing window, or extending my exam credit if I need to reschedule next testing window.

@aaronmo
    where did you get the form to submit to NASBA? The Prometric center only provided a ticket number and confirmation number, as there were about a dozen other testers taking different exams who experienced computer issues.

AUD - 82
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 93
    REG - 79
    FAR is a boss!
    aaronmo
    Participant

Mabel…it was a while ago and my memory, errr…I THINK I found the form on the NASBA site and submitted it with the ticket number.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86

SGood
    Participant

You will need to email candidatecare@nasba.org, if there was an issue at the testing site you would give them the ticket number, date of exam, city and state help and then the reason you are contacting and even what you would like to request. Its easier if they know what your plan is instead of saying, I need more time. Yes, you need to report it sooner than later, anything outside of 5 business days will more than likely not be approved, and definitely do not wait until you receive a score, it would immediately be denied.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the same thing happen during part 2 of my CMA. It takes them like 2 hours to get all their systems rebooted and secured for administering tests. That's a bummer.

Recked
    Participant

You'd think that a place that did computerized testing would invest in some UPS.

Memento Mori - Kingston NY CPA & EA (SUNY Albany 2002)

FAR-93 11/9/17 (10wks, 250 hrs, Roger 1800+ MCQs, Gleim TB 600+MCQs, SIMs)
    AUD-88 12/7/17 (3 wks, 85 hrs, Roger 1000 MCQs no SIMs hail mary)
    REG-96 1/18/18 (6 wks, 110 hrs, 1400 MCQs, no SIMs)
    BEC-91 2/16/18 (4wks, 90 hrs, 1240 MCQs)

aaronmo
    Participant

I think what I did was what Sgood said…the testing center gave me a receipt…or acknowledgement of an issue in some way…and I emailed candidatecare. I'll see if I can go back and find the emails later tonight.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86

aaronmo
    Participant

OK…found the emails. There wasn't a form. I sent them a letter that detailed the issue, referred to the test center number and address and also referred to a “case number” that my test center filed over the issue. I'm willing to copy/paste what I wrote with personal info removed if it would help.

They sent back a non-response response that said we'll look into it and get back to you, it won't interfere with score release.

AUD - 96
    BEC - 84
    FAR - 89
    REG - 86

mabel
    Participant

In case anyone has a similar experience, I recommend emailing NASBA immediately (within 5 days after your exam). When I reached out, I received a similar response as @aaronmo in that they were “looking into it” but recommended that I wait for the score release. I ended up passing Audit with an 82!

AUD - 82
    BEC - 79
    FAR - 93
    REG - 79
    FAR is a boss!
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.