69, 63, 73, 71…

• Creator
    Topic
    debitcash
    Participant

Those are not the lucky powerball numbers…instead, they are are my unfortunate AUD scores. Each time doing stronger in MCQs and weaker in Sims. Sims seem to be the death of me in these exams. Reg scores – 71, 74. Again stronger in MCQs and weaker in Sims…

Keep getting creamed when it comes to Sims. I have practiced them. Practiced researching.

Any advice? Prayers?

Have two more tries for both Reg and Aud until my Far expires. I dont even want to think about Far expiring.

Help me pass Aud and Reg Sims!!

FAR:75
    BEC:76
    AUD:84
    REG:80

FAR:75!
    AUD:69, 63, 73, TBD
    BEC:76!
    REG:71, TBD

BECKER + NINJA PRODUCTS

keep your cool

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Pete E. Rino
    Participant

What review course are you using? Have you had trouble with the research question?

Claudia408
    Participant

I feel your pain… I'm taking Reg for the 4th time in November and I always get THE HARDEST SIMs. No way to prep for them though bc they are like a crap shoot. Maybe you need to try a different review course to help explain things differently and they will have different SIMs so maybe seeing different formats and questions will help. Also, use the AL as much as you can.

BEC 65, 71, 75
    AUD 62, 70, 78
    REG 67, 66, 65, 66, 64
    FAR 68, 64, 73

BEC - 75 (3x)
    AUD - 78 (3x)
    REG - 67, 66, Aug 1
    FAR - 54, Sept 8

REG-FTW86
    Participant

I failed AUD my first try with a 54 and passed the second try with a 78. The first time I felt good but I didn't use AL on the SIMS. The second time I didn't study for SIMS either. I used Roger and Ninja MCQ/Audio. Roger does a great job with AUD. I basically put myself in the mindset of an auditor. Roger's course walks you through an entire audit. You have to think big picture. How does it all go together? Also, the SIMS may seem difficult but AL literally saved me. I wish we can talk about what's on SIMS but I can tell you I found the answer to 2 difficult SIMS word for word in the AL. Everyone says how important MCQ's are and I will tell you it's 100% true. Also, look at actual audit reports and see if you can talk yourself through an audit after you've finished the review materials.

AUD - 78
    BEC - 77
    FAR - 77
    REG - 80
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  Thomas A. Edison

How bad do you want it?

Regulation For The Win!

FAR 57, 62, 77
    BEC 70,77
    AUD 54,78
    REG 66, 62, 7/29

FAR.BEC.AUD.AUD.BEC.FAR.FAR.REG.REG

Roger CPA Review / Ninja MCQ Supplement

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time - Thomas Edison

Needs Advice
    Participant

@REG-FTW86 I apologize for my ignorance, what do you mean “AL” on the SIMS?

I HAVE a life now.

AUD - Passed

BEC - Passed

FAR - Passed

REG - Passed

BEC: 7/31/16 (Awaiting Results)
    AUD: 9/8/16
    REG: 10/22/16
    FAR: 12/3/16

debitcash
    Participant

I am using Becker + ninja MCQs

My review consists of me re-reading the entire book and taking crucial notes and then bombarding the MCQs at about 200 per day. I was averaging in the high 80s on ninja. I have dedicated a significant amount of time to Sims but in my experience (obviously) that does not seem to help my case.

My main concern is that scores in the 70-74 range do not necessarily show a flaw in your understanding of the material, rather, it shows that you were not “lucky” enough in that quarter to make the cutoff. The time and money it takes for me to rerun through the material and subsequently sit again is very frustrating. I am much more accepting of scores that are sub 70 because at least you know you need to work on your grasp of the material.

Also, the fact that to rescore your exam it costs an arm and a leg and your results will not change (less than 1% chance) is also very discouraging. Even when you try to call NASBA or the AICPA to speak to a human who might help, all you are left with is a voicemail or a robot telling you to refer to the website.

My apologies on the rant. It is just very unfortunate that this whole journey is prolonged by unknown metrics that seem to be stacked against us.

BECKER + NINJA PRODUCTS

keep your cool

trisjung
    Participant

@debitcash : I am in the same boat. I have one more try left for AUD before my REG expires in November. The last AUD score I got was 70 with compatible on MCQs but weak on SIMs. After passing the other three exams some time ago, I thought AUD wouldn't be a problem but I guess I was wrong. I had used Wiley TB, and Ninja Ten points, but now I am exclusively using GLEM for my next AUD exam.

@Pete
    E. Rino : Just because you mentioned the research questions, do you have any tips? I spent more than 7 minutes to find a right section during my last exam, but wasn't able to answer the research question. I used the key words in the original question to search but can't narrow down to what I was looking for or what the question was asking. Any help would be great.

@REG-FTW86 : Can you please explain more about how to use Al on SIMs? I heard solving SIMs using AL before but never really understood how to use them. You said you found the answer to 2 difficult SIMS word for word in the AL, but what kind of SIMs should I look into AL for answers? Internal control related SIMs? FARE related SIMs? Any help would be appreciated.

mtaylo24
    Participant

Debitcash, when are you re-sitting for Reg? I am quite unlucky myself, I failed 3 exams in the 70s (71 BEC, 72 BEC, and 74 REG) this year. I have Auditing expiring in 2 windows, so I am being super aggressive about getting these exams knocked out.

It took me 4 tries to pass Auditing, I'm on attempt 4 with Reg, 3 with BEC, and 2 with FAR, so you are not alone. Hang in there! When I passed audit, I expected a couple JE sims and an audit risk sim, and lucked out on both. I know with research and the fill in the blank one for the Audit report one, I could use the AL. Like @Claudia408 is saying, you can't really prepare for sims. I have yet to see a sim from a review course on the actual exam. The only thing you can do is know the material, and think of simulations as extended Multiple Choice questions. Be sure to give yourself at least 1 hour to get them done. Keep at it!

CPA (2017)

REG:  75

BEC:  76

FAR:  77

AUD: 78

CMA (2019)

P1: 380

P2: 360

AUD - 1st - 60 (12/12), 61 (2/13), 61 (8/13), 78! (11/15)
    REG - 55 (2/16) 69 (5/16) Retake(8/16)
    BEC - 71(5/16) Retake (9/16)
    FAR - (8/16)

debitcash
    Participant

Pushed back REG to Dec 7th — taking AUD on Oct 26th.

I decided to rely on the Ninja Book this time…last couple of times I used the Becker book strictly.

Again, my issue is not so much the MCQ but the Sims (which you cant really study for).

Truly is a luck factor when it comes to these Sims.
    Without going into too much detail, there are obviously some Sims that you can easily look up in the AL and get the answer literally word for word. But others, you need to understand how certain things effect other things. That cannot be looked up so easily.

My issue with that is there are individuals who can randomly get a batch of Sims that are “easier” thus increasing their chance of a passing score while others may not be as lucky and get some “brolic” Sims that God himself would have trouble with considering the convoluted directions and lack of fluidity of the software (going back and forth between tabs and research).

The exam makers claim they want to frame the exam around “real world” experiences but when was the last time you or your accountant was expected to know specifics about a topic off the top of their head, especially if this topic requires some research. I personally would not want my accountant to give me an answer off the top of his or her head, rather I would appreciate for them to take some time and do some research.

sigh

BECKER + NINJA PRODUCTS

keep your cool

SuckItUp
    Participant

This is going to sound harsh but you need to hear it.

Quit feeling sorry for yourself and stop complaining about the exam. It is what it is, you are not going to change the test.

Luck? So you mean to tell me you were unlucky and had bad sims every single time you failed while others like myself passed as we lucked out?

NOPE!

You failed because you didn't know the material. You say you have no problem with the MC, is that because you truly understand the accounting behind the question or have you just memorized the answers?

If a candidate TRULY understands the accounting, sims don't even need to be studied.

Change something, most likely how much you are studying and the quality of study time. Stop the excuses and pick up your Becker textbook and start writing notes.

Sincerely,

Oldish guy, married, kids, commute,busy accountant.

Valar Dohaeris
    Participant

I agree with @SuckItUp about changing your study habits. How many hours are you studying and over what time period?

You've taken AUD a few times by now, so, I would spend 2 straight weeks at the most without any work cramming for AUD. There's no need to draw out re-studying for AUD over 4+ weeks so you forget some material or let non-AUD information pollute your mind. It's not that much material, especially after studying it two other times. In Becker, AUD is 6 long chapters (around 80 pages per chapter). I would say a determined individual can bang out the homework in a solid 8-10 hour day; maybe in a day and a half for one chapter at the most. Plus, flip through the book each day and take cumulative MCQ tests each morning and each night. You just need to be able to shut down from everything else and focus on AUD. You need to immerse yourself in your AUD material. If you put in 80-100 hours over 10 days, you should be fine.

Study study study.

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 83
    REG - 84
    CPA

Finance Manager

Experienced in Big 4 audit, regional audit, and technical accounting consulting

BEC - 85
    AUD - 81
    REG - 84
    FAR - 7/24/16

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well said suckitup. I agree 100%. You really need to evaluate whether you are studying smart.

debitcash
    Participant

For the record, I do not feel sorry for myself. Nor am I “complaining”. I am expressing my concerns and my thoughts regarding this exam.

My study habits are not at fault here. It is my ability to do well on the simulations. I am not the first to bring up the “luck” factor either. And, realistically speaking, that surely does play a role. Deny that as much as you like.

Silly me to come to this forum to solicit quality advice on how to do better on the simulations only to be accused of not studying well enough.

And, if there is anything that I am feeling “sorry” about, its the fact that individuals like us can spend countless amount of dollars and hours on studying for this exam and end up with scores like 73, 74.

A score of 45 means I have more work to do.
    A score of 55 means I have more work to do.
    A score of 65 means I have more work to do.

A score of 73/74 means haha they got you for another $300.

I get it.

Thanks for your inputs, nonetheless.

BECKER + NINJA PRODUCTS

keep your cool

Valar Dohaeris
    Participant

@debitcash, I don't think you're being fair to yourself if you don't reflect on your study habits. When passing FAR, do you think you just got lucky on the Sims?

At the end of the day, just do everything you can to immerse yourself in the AUD material. The Sims are oddly formatted and downright confusing to read the lengthy instructions and to know how to answer. But right now, you want to pass these exams, and you need to just put in some quality study time without distractions. You'll pass it next time.

I wonder what's the highest score one can earn on the exam if one answers every MCQ correctly and earns no points on their Sims?

AUD - 81
    BEC - 83
    FAR - 83
    REG - 84
    CPA

Finance Manager

Experienced in Big 4 audit, regional audit, and technical accounting consulting

BEC - 85
    AUD - 81
    REG - 84
    FAR - 7/24/16

SuckItUp
    Participant

You trolling? I don't think you are but this is almost hard to take serious.

You have failed like what, six tests? Yet you don't think you need to change your study habits?

Do me a favor, google “Einstein's definition of insanity.”

jmurdock21
    Participant

I have to agree with Suckitup.

I just finished REG yesterday. There was nothing in the Sims that I hadn't seen before. Granted, some of it was VERY minute and if I hadn't glossed over every tiny paragraph, I wouldn've thought my test included material that wasn't covered. Granted, there were a couple that I know that I got wrong because of a couple of minor rules that I wasn't 100% sure about that I looked up once I got out and saw that I answered incorrectly. But the Sims, in my experience, are not as scary as some make them out to be. The difference is the correct answer is not right in your face. Hell, every single one of my Sims was fill in the blank. I read on here that some people have drop down options. Some drop downs would've been nice. But on the cpa exam, you like harder questions because you're more likely to pass if you're seeing 3 point shots rather than layups.

But not knowing that material, no matter how obscure or minute, was no one's fault but mine. If I fail due to that, so be it.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.