74 on BEC and DEVASTATED

• Creator
    Topic
    GinjaNinja
    Participant

So just found out I got a dreaded 74 on BEC. I got weaker in MCQ and stronger in WC.

I am in complete shock because I felt good about the exam and thought for sure I passed it. Needless to say I’m beyond devastated.

I used Roger, Ninja MCQ, NINJA Notes, and Becker flashcards. I studied 8 weeks and put it almost 200 hours of studying time. I did all the MCQ in Ninja and really spent time to understand the concepts.

Should I buy a different review course? Is it worth it to rewatch the videos or should I just focus on reading the book and hammer out MCQ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I really have no idea where to go from here.

FAR: 79 (7/25/16)
    AUD: 89 (10/3/16)
    REG: 69 (1/9/17); 83 (8/21/17)
    BEC: 74 (3/6/17); 90 (5/31/17)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Please do NOT take my word as the last one on this…but it could have been because of Roger that you failed.

I'm using Roger now too. He's a great guy, I love his lectures. His textbooks utterly suck. And, I've heard at least five people on here say that Roger is “no good for BEC.”
    Actually, your 8 weeks of study time is helpful info for me because I'm trying to figure out how long I should spend on it….I'm scheduled to take it in August.

At this point, I'd almost recommend buying another course for BEC. Gleim is good. I have their textbooks. I don't know how much it is, per part, but I don't think it's too expensive.
    I would not recommend rewatching videos unless you yourself get a lot out of that. I'd get a different book, start over, and do lots of MCQ.

SchruteBeet
    Participant

@GinjaNinja I'm in the same boat as you. I found out today that I got a 74 on AUD. It was a rough day. IMO it's more painful to get a 74 than it is to get a say, 49. That said, you're so close to being done. You're familiar with all the material, just need to focus on your weak areas now. If, at this point, you're already comfortable with the Roger course, I would not recommend switching to a different course. That said, the course will be structured differently now that the exam changes have kicked in. See if you can update your materials. Maybe consider supplementing it with flashcards.

AUD - 79
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 83
    REG - 78
    Ethics - 97

"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

"Hard work, perseverance, faith, blessings."

GinjaNinja
    Participant

@crazyleon I would have to agree. I felt like Roger was great for FAR and AUD but I think his course missed the mark with REG and BEC. Maybe I just feel that way because those are the 2 I failed but I really do think they lacked a bit. The videos don't really do much for me so I'm thinking it would be most beneficial for me to read the book and do MCQ.

@SchruteBeet
    It truly is disheartening to get a 74 knowing how close you are. I'm glad there are people on this forum who I can relate to and are going through the same hardships as me. I'm wondering if maybe I should buy Rogers cram course for BEC just to do a quick refresh instead? I swear that choosing the review course and study methods are half the battle with these exams.

cpa83
    Participant

I did samething with roger. I got 71. Ninjas suggested me to nail down on ninja mcqs, which I will follow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I might do Ninja sometime as well. Although I do like Gleim, I don't really feel like paying for another full review course. I don't feel that Roger's practice questions are lacking, except maybe in the SIMs a bit. I might start with the Ninja notes. The biggest problem with Roger is that the material is not presented in a concise enough format. It just lingers on and on. And, when you're doing the MCQs, if you pick a wrong answer choice, there is a huge paragraph that you have to read, explaining why it's not correct. And if you pick a correct one, there is a huge paragraph as to why it's correct!

almasy
    Participant

How did you do your final review? I've made the mistake of not reviewing sections I did really well on early on in my studying.

Oddly enough, BEC was the only section I passed using Roger. The first time I took BEC I only used his course and scored a 75. Just passing may be a sign it wasn't the best course but whatever works.

My credit expired so I took BEC again earlier this month and scored a 76. I used a combination of Ninja Notes, MCQ and my old Roger book. I rewrote the Ninja notes once then focused on the MCQ. I was missing a lot of questions so I rewrote the notes I had taken on my Roger book then it was back to MCQ. I also went through a lot of the WC. The first time I studied for 6 weeks while for the second time I only had 4 weeks.

casseg22
    Participant

@ginjaninja I feel your pain, I got a 74 as well. I'm completely devastated because it was my last test and I was so excited to be done. I felt pretty good about the exam…I attended the Becker live classes and final review (I did the same for the other three sections). What is killing me the most is having to wait until August 🙁

AUD - 78
    BEC - 81
    FAR - 78
    REG - 75
    shawn in VA
    Participant

I got another 74 on BEC . I found out yesterday. That is 2 74's in a row on BEC. Talk about devastation. I used ROGER both times and I am done with Roger for BEC. The IT questions and COSO questions were a complete miss on this review course. There was also some odd ball finance questions which were not even touched in Roger.

I purchased the ninja notes, ninja book, and Ninja MCQ so hopefully that will get me the extra couple points.

I plan to retake late april early may.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 81
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    AUD - 84

BEC-  81

REG-75

FAR- TBD

mtaylo24
    Participant

74 means you are pretty much there. Don't waste money on other materials unless its only $47 for Ninja MCQ. BEC is a tough one and definitely a test of luck (See my BEC scores below, total nightmare)…I don't think any one provider has a good solution for it. Gleim and Ninja were both good with the calcs, but I was shocked at the IT/COSO questions that I came across on the actual test.

CPA (2017)

REG:  75

BEC:  76

FAR:  77

AUD: 78

CMA (2019)

P1: 380

P2: 360

AUD - 1st - 60 (12/12), 61 (2/13), 61 (8/13), 78! (11/15)
    REG - 55 (2/16) 69 (5/16) Retake(8/16)
    BEC - 71(5/16) Retake (9/16)
    FAR - (8/16)

shawn in VA
    Participant

Mo Taylor-

Congrats on the pass of BEC. That is quite a struggle on BEC for you:) 18 points improvement on FAR is huge. I took BEC on 3/10 and was also shocked at the amount of IT questions I have NEVER seen. I purchased the Ninja MCQ and Notes, and got the Ninja Book for free. Total investment around $110 so not too bad.

What did you do to get the extra 3 pts in BEC ? That is all I really need so I am curious. I have taken this stupid test 3 times and it is frustrating.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 81
    FAR - NINJA in Training
    REG - 75
    AUD - 84

BEC-  81

REG-75

FAR- TBD

cmcook
    Participant

I'm a big believer in Gleim. And it's half the cost of Becker.

Death before surrender
    mtaylo24
    Participant

@ShawninVA, the only thing i added this time were the ninja notes, didnt copy, just read. I went through Gleim twice and then ninja. Copied the wrong questions from ninja in a word doc and then reviewed those. There are way too many easy questions in BEC so you have to filter those out and focus on the troubled ones. I then pulled an all nighter and just went through ninja mcq until it was test time. My pass was probably due more to experience and trial and error than to any CPA product. The test was a blur though, im guessing luck more than anything put me over.

CPA (2017)

REG:  75

BEC:  76

FAR:  77

AUD: 78

CMA (2019)

P1: 380

P2: 360

AUD - 1st - 60 (12/12), 61 (2/13), 61 (8/13), 78! (11/15)
    REG - 55 (2/16) 69 (5/16) Retake(8/16)
    BEC - 71(5/16) Retake (9/16)
    FAR - (8/16)

GinjaNinja
    Participant

@almasy For final review I printed out my detailed ninja MCQ scores and did MCQ in each subcategory that I scored less than 70 in until I had at least a 70 in each subcategory. Then I did the same thing but for all subcategories less than 75. I also read my ninja notes daily, rewrote my 15 page note sheet I made, made 100 flashcards of formulas and memorized them all. I literally did everything your supposed to do in order to pass but somehow still fell short. Still blows my mind!!!

GinjaNinja
    Participant

@casseg22
    So sorry to hear that! But know your not alone! I tried everything in my power to get these exams done before the changes but obviously was not successful. It sucks but I'm trying to stay positive and telling myself that it will be just that much more of an accomplishment once I finally pass them all!

Snickets
    Participant

To the point of what a lot of people on here are saying. I absolutely love Roger and his course and teaching style and honestly I would never have been able to do it without his way.

However I have always felt and by the multiple attempts and fails for me on BEC (more than any section I took)that his BEC may not be the best or even close.
    I still used his notes and lectures but relied heavily on Ninja MCQs to pass. It was only then that I started to see better results in my understanding of the material as well as more CPA exam similarities than I would find with his MCQs.
    Some do not have this issue so it's really an issue of finding the right fit for you, personally.
    I did get exactly one more point than a 74, so it's also really about how well you tested that day. Either way don't get too discouraged by a 74. Use it as motivation to pass next time.

AUD - 84
    BEC - 75
    FAR - 76
    REG - 77
    "Don't worry, you got this! One time I took this really hard sociology exam and...."
    -Every family memember and friend that I want to slap in the face during my exams.

AUD 84
    FAR. 78(expired/retake 5/9/16)
    BEC 77
    REG 76

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.