74 on BEC, REG next AND squeeze in BEC?

• Creator
    Topic
    itsanaccrualworld
    Participant

So i got the dreaded 74 on BEC *pause for a moment of silence* … In the grand scheme of things, it could be worse, as I work full time, studied for about 7 days and took a shot at it. I saw on my calendar that I had a little over a week that would be smooth sailing during busy season so I figured why not. Now, Im scheduled to take REG mid April for a second time, and considering taking two or three days to refresh BEC and take it again before I take REG. To all you future CPA’s trying to strategize through this process, what do you guys/girls think? Should I take a few days off studying for REG and take BEC, or should I just wait to take it after REG? Any words would be appreciated!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 78
    It can be done!

FAR - 75
    REG - 69, September 16
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 69, October 16

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    MaLoTu
    Participant

How far into REG are you?

I found out I got a 74 on BEC, also.

Almost always from my phone... please excuse my typos!

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

itsanaccrualworld
    Participant

Looks like we're both drinking tonight haha well i took reg 3 months ago and got a 56. Going through R1-R4 now. Probably not gonna bother with much Blaw except for contracts, circular 230. Thank god im at least done with far.

AUD - 75
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 78
    It can be done!

FAR - 75
    REG - 69, September 16
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 69, October 16

Stilgoin
    Participant

I wouldn’t ignore Blaw- it was a big part of mine. I would probably focus on REG because you have a better shot at passing one at a time, then go to BEC after, but that’s just me. Good luck!

Stilgoin, CPA

There are enough critics. Be an encourager

B | 62, 78
    A | 73, 67, 79
    R | 82
    F | 59, 59, Waiting

Ethics | 93

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    ~Winston Churchill

“In a world full of critics, be an encourager."

MaLoTu
    Participant

I personally would commit to one or the other. It sucks having March blacked-out … such a waste of time. It seems more logical (to me) for you to just go back through BEC and then focus on REG. I plan to retake BEC on 4/4. Then I will take FAR on 5/15 (hopefully).

If you do choose to continue with REG, make sure to know personal taxes inside and out. I agree with stilgoin, don't neglect blaw .. at least watch the lectures.

I am definitely having a drink tonight! lol.

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

Stilgoin
    Participant

^^^^I have a glass of wine every night to get through FAR, but some of those weekends post-fail are a little blurry. Lol

Stilgoin, CPA

B | 62, 78
    A | 73, 67, 79
    R | 82
    F | 59, 59, Waiting

Ethics | 93

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    ~Winston Churchill

itsanaccrualworld
    Participant

Such a waste of time, i agree. Thanks, yeah the personal taxes seem to be the big focus. I may have overstated how little ill study for B-law, but it will probably be an 80/20 emphasis for tax/blaw. I lucked out with FAR and got a 75. the second time i failed i passed the MCQ but was weaker on the sims. Third time around i focused almost completely on the sims and it worked out. Sounds like your timeline will allow for enough time to cover FAR though!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 78
    It can be done!

FAR - 75
    REG - 69, September 16
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 69, October 16

Stilgoin
    Participant

I am definitely doing Sims this time for FAR. If I can figure out how to use the AL for the Sims, I think I will do better. The key for me and personal taxes was the mnemonics. Here is a link to another post for the REG stuff:

Post your favorite REG mnemonic! Let's see who is the most creative!

I can’t tell you how many times I used the one for deductions to arrive at AGI on the exam. Lol

Stilgoin, CPA

B | 62, 78
    A | 73, 67, 79
    R | 82
    F | 59, 59, Waiting

Ethics | 93

~Winston Churchill

valorx28
    Participant

I got 74 on BEC too. Did you guys get your score report yet? I still didn't get the email, but I received my score over a day late (was in the bubble).

MaLoTu
    Participant

I am in CA and the score report is available immediately with our score. I got stronger on corp gov and WC and comparable on IT, but overall weak on MCQ =(

All 4 passed - 2016

CA CPA

itsanaccrualworld
    Participant

Stilgoin, thanks ill check that link out. One tip for the AL, just pound it into your head that the answer WILL be there. So dont settle for an answer you are half in-half out about. Thankfully my time management was on par, and I had time to spend 20 minutes on the research tab. I was getting frustrated and then finally found my answer in the 12th or so result. Hope that helps.

valor, I also got my score report, you should be able to click the option “view score report” on cba. I got stronger on corporate governance and WC, and comparable on ops management. The rest were weaker 🙁 Very similar to you, MaLoTu

It sucks when you know a MCQ you got wrong that you knew the formula for, thinking that would have given me the 75 🙁

AUD - 75
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 78
    It can be done!

FAR - 75
    REG - 69, September 16
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 69, October 16

Stilgoin
    Participant

@itsaccrualworld I was talking about using the AL for other Sims besides the research tab. From what I understand, there is a lot more information to help with the Sims than I initially thought. I have no problem with the research questions, but thanks for the tips. 😉

Stilgoin, CPA

B | 62, 78
    A | 73, 67, 79
    R | 82
    F | 59, 59, Waiting

Ethics | 93

~Winston Churchill

valorx28
    Participant

@MaLoTu @itsanaccrualworld

I'm not in California 🙁 in NY and NASBA takes a while to send out those score reports. Still waiting ugh…

itsanaccrualworld
    Participant

Oh good! Nevermind then haha it is helpful for the other tabs too, just always depends on that damn running clock

AUD - 75
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 78
    It can be done!

FAR - 75
    REG - 69, September 16
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 69, October 16

itsanaccrualworld
    Participant

@valorx28 well the good news is we basically passed, minus those two nagging MCQ's that just so happened to go against us. Wouldnt hurt to knock out sets practice test questions in the meantime!

AUD - 75
    BEC - 80
    FAR - 75
    REG - 78
    It can be done!

FAR - 75
    REG - 69, September 16
    BEC - 80
    AUD - 69, October 16

valorx28
    Participant

@itsanaccrualworld, yup that's the plan. doing the practice tests non-stop…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.